The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 13, 2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Andyspiros

A few Lemat questions...

Hey guys, new to this forum and I just had a few questions. I'm pretty new to bp shooting in general, but I'm the owner of a stainless ROA, a .36 navy and a .44 army. Now here's the question: would I be making a terrible mistake if I traded my roa for a Lemat reproduction revolver?
Old December 13, 2012, 06:36 PM   #2
mykeal

Quote:
would I be making a terrible mistake if I traded my roa for a Lemat reproduction revolver?
OMG!

Uh, lemme see....

HELL, YES!

I think I better go lay down for a while.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Andyspiros

Lol I'm sure I'll hear a lot of that, but the price of a new repro Lemat is a bit rough to spring for during the holiday season..
Old December 13, 2012, 07:49 PM   #4
MJN77

If you would rather have the Le Mat, then trade. It's all about what you want.
Old December 13, 2012, 08:04 PM   #5
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyspiros
A few Lemat questions... I'm the owner of a stainless ROA, a .36 navy and a .44 army. Now here's the question: would I be making a terrible mistake if I traded my roa for a Lemat reproduction revolver?
Next question!
I only see one question but I'll add some questions.

Seriously, is that Lemat any good? Which Lemat model is it?
What condition is the ROA in verses the condition of the Lemat?
Did you actually get to handle and inspect the Lemat?
Ever fire one?
And what I would really like to know is why is the Lemat owner eagerly willing to trade, meanwhile you're the one asking if trading an ROA for a ???? model Lemat would be a terrible mistake?
Honestly, I can think of more reasons not to trade.
If you'd like more first hand information about their reliability and about the different Lemat models, then read the linked thread:

THR Lemat club

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=573577

Last edited by arcticap; December 13, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old December 14, 2012, 06:43 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Andy

Welcome to the forum.

With the revolvers you presently own, you are well on your way.

I'm with the common opinion, that you may be wise to just hang onto the Ruger.

If you want the LaMat (and I am not a LeMat fan) you could just buy it from him.

LeMats in good condition command a higher price than most long barrel adjustable sight ROAs. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why that is, but it seems to still be true.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:41 AM   #7
noelf2

I wouldn't trade. Not that I don't like a LeMat, because I seem to gravitate towards interesting/weird/curio type firearms, but you can always get a reproduction LeMat. Will be real hard to get a nice SS ROA in the future since they aren't made anymore. I can just picture a firearms forum thread from you in a few years telling how you wish you never traded...
Old December 14, 2012, 10:30 AM   #8
indy1919

If you like the 2 ROA, learned on them,, had them for a while, Have any emotional bond with them, you will want them back in about 5 - 10 years. And always be kicking yourself for trading them, If you have no thoughts about them other then they are lumps of metal that you never want to see again,,

Then I guess the trade is good.. You may be better of selling them.. Then using the money for you other needs..
Old December 14, 2012, 10:40 AM   #9
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelf2
I can just picture a firearms forum thread from you in a few years telling how you wish you never traded...
That's so true how folks who had sold their ROA years ago now miss it and wished that they had kept it. I know a person with that regret who said that he sold it at the time because it was such a hassle to clean it.
I met another fellow who has one that he rarely fires, and when I asked him if he would sell it [to me] he replied, "I'll never sell that gun and I'll take to my grave!".
And then a friend of mine who has several ROA's told me how he bought one of them at a gun club swap meet for $50! It makes me wonder if its previous owner now misses it and would rather not have sold it for a song.

Last edited by arcticap; December 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:58 PM   #10
North East Redneck

DONT DO IT!!!!
Hold onto the ROA. They aren't making anymore.
Old December 14, 2012, 02:25 PM   #11
bedbugbilly

First welcome to the forum!

Second . . . NO1 No! NO!

I haven't shot a Lemat but I have handled 'em in years past. I'm not knocking 'em . . . but for me I classify 'em as one of the "passing fancy" revolvers - you see 'em, you just gotta have it . . . but after a while, the novelty will wear off. Not for everybody but most of the fellas I knew in past years that purchased them, did it as they were "different' and they just had to have them for reenacting, some for shooting, etc. I don't know what they are going for today but back then, they were in the $7000 +range. Most ended up selling them at a loss after the novelty wore off.

The ROA is a highly sought after pistol - they don't make 'em anymore. From what I'm seeing, the price is just going up on them. Shooters like 'em due to their design - no not historical - but rugged, well built and prized for target shooting and hunting. If the novelty of the ROA has worn off for you. I'd just clean it well, oil it up and store it. At some point, I have to believe that it will come around again when you'll want to shoot it - if it's not there, you're going to have to pay a lot more for one if you want it bad enough.

But . . . it's your decision and best of luck!

Again, welcome to the forum - lots of good information and folks here!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 14, 2012, 04:11 PM   #12
shortwave

Hey Andy!

I don't know much about either brand as I don't do bp pistols... but.....

.....I do know that you have rec'vd almost unanimous advice from some of the most knowledgeable(IMO) bp experts here on TFL.

Don't think I'd trade.

and

A big WELCOME to the madness.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:35 PM   #13
Andyspiros

First off, much thanks for all of the welcomes guys. I happen to fully agree with the advice... The mechanical soundness of the ruger is excellent, and they're obviously increasing in value each day that goes by. I'll still be on the lookout for a lemat, so if you guys hear about any good deals, let me know. Again, thanks for all of the great advice, it's much appreciated. I'll try to get a few pics of my starter collection up here asap.... I did a custom job on the .36 I think you guys would appreciate.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:45 PM   #14
Andyspiros

By the way.... Is it possible to post pics on here from an I phone?
Old December 14, 2012, 10:53 PM   #15
Bill Carson

Andyspiros,i just rcevied a new lemat made by peita its a showy inpesive piece seems well made .however to me it is more a history/novlty thing,for showing off and thoes times you just want to shoot something different.the pistols you listed for trade are good work a day pieces id hang on to them.if you want a lemat id say just buy one or keep an eye out on the used market.having sied that i think you would enjoy the cool mechanics and shot barrel but not at the loss of your nice pistols,ive made trades just like this most times ive regreted it...dont get me worng about my lemat purchse im good with that.im a gun smith and gun builder,il take the lemat out for a good shake down and post a reviue from that point of vieu till then,happy holidays.b.c.

Tags
#lemat