The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 13, 2001, 09:24 PM   #101
Guyon

100th reply!

Got the 1100 all cleaned up on Sunday. Spent a couple of hours taking it down, cleaning it, replacing the PC safety, familiarizing myself with parts and operation. The barrel was nastier than I expected from the test firing at Big Green, but I finally got it all clean. Gave everything a liberal dose of CLP and then wiped it down. Leaving some CLP in the barrel until I shoot it. BTW pipe cleaners worked great for cleaning out the gas ports. I added pipe cleaners to my range box.

I'd hoped to take it out for some patterning and maybe even some clays today, but it poured rain and is supposed to continue to rain for the next day or two. Need to scrounge up a length or two of the big butcher's paper so I can really see how it shoots. What distances would you all recommend for patterning?

I also have a question about parts. I know I might ought to get a couple of the O-rings and put one in my range box and one in my hunting gear "just in case." Are there any other spare parts that might be a good idea to get?
Old August 14, 2001, 06:03 AM   #102
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Guyon, pattern at the distance you expect to be shooting. If that's too complicated due to different shot opps, try at 25 yards and 40. For HD purposes, add one yard to the longest distance possible in your house.

More important than the pattern itself, in some ways, is where it's hitting. That's Point Of Aim and Point Of Impact.

For general work, I like the patterns centered dead on for left/right and a little higher than where I'm pointing, what's called a 60/40 pattern.
Old August 14, 2001, 07:42 AM   #103
TM

Gary and Dave,
Thanks again.

I don't know how much more effective ghost rings are when it comes to HD as I have not (fortunately) had the opportunity to find out. However, when it comes to 3-gun, the ghost rings make target acquisition much, much faster.

My 870 has factory rifle sights on it, which, IMHO, are terrible- slow acquisition, difficult to align. The Nova has the factory Benelli ghost rings, which are awesome- very, very quick target acquisition. The last 3-gun match I attended, I was getting close to the times of the semi-auto shooters, I just need more practice and better reloading technique. (I'm not comparing myself to the guys who have game guns like Benelli Practicals with speedloaders)

As for reloading ease and speed, the sidesaddle is invaluable, I think. The downside is that it adds weight. The tactical light will have to come later- I will do the other stuff and refinish my Express before I add lights. I guess I'll start accumulating the parts for the HD conversion on my 870 and then send it off to a local smith for installation and refinishing- the guy does a wonderful parkerized finish.

TM
Old August 14, 2001, 10:48 AM   #104
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're welcome, TM.

The extra weight of a Sidesaddle + ammo is not all that detrimental. It sets right at the balance point and the extra weight slows down the recoil, milding the kick. Try it and you'll see.

And again, the bells, whistles, fender skirts and fuzzy dice are nice, but a stock 870 is a great tool.
Old August 17, 2001, 05:55 AM   #105
Long Path

PWK, my personal 1100 12 ga. doesn't function reliably with the Winchester Super Speed.
Old August 17, 2001, 06:53 AM   #106
PWK

Long Path, you probably did all the pre shoot cleaning but anyway the first thing I did was take it down as far as it could be and cleaned every surface. I took a tip from Shotgun Report and always spray my shotgun actions with CLP before every round. It makes a difference and the guns clean up real easy. The first couple of rounds I shot Remington heavy dove (1 1/8 oz) and it functioned fine. Next time out I loaded a 1 1/8 first and then the 7/8 Winchester SS. Really screws up your score. Still the gun functioned fine. This past weekend I shot a box of 7/8 exclusively and not a problem, it cycled fine even on the true pairs.
To repeat I think the CLP makes a big difference.
Pesonally, I use the Heavy Dove in my Browning Gold but I prefer my teenage sons to use the Winchester SS because of the lower recoil. The younger one uses the 1100 and the next older has an 835. The heavy dove kick pretty good in the 835 since it is a pump and there is no gas system to reduce perceived recoil.
Hope this helps