The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2018, 08:23 AM   #26
F. Guffey

Quote:
Get the micrometer adjustable stem for the Uniflow. It makes it much easier to reset powder charges. Once the proper charge is established record the data and the next time you load for that caliber set micrometer stem to setting recorded and you are off to the races. Worth the $45 in my opinion.
The micro/adjusters are nice-and expensive. All of my bullet seating dies are micro adjustable at no extra cost because I measure the height of the stem above the die (for example), when I want to seat a bullet .010" shorter I lower the stem .010". When measuring the height of the stem I use a height gage or a dial caliper. I do the same when using the Uniflow powder measure,

F. Guffey
Old April 19, 2018, 01:10 PM   #27
Irish Lad

DMY, Thanks for the tip. I also ordered a stand for it and a "perfect adapter", gonna see how it will work on my LCT. I was able to get in-touch with Baily Boat and order an adjustable rotor. F. Guffey was correct when he said "The Little Dandy is a big investment". Can't wait to try it all out!!
Old April 19, 2018, 05:21 PM   #28
F. Guffey

Quote:
The Little Dandy is a big investment".
I have a Visible powder by measure by B&M with three drop tubes, I have been told that measure is an expensive measure. It has to be at 60 years old.

F. Guffey
Old April 19, 2018, 08:46 PM   #29
briandg

one thing that you can say about the dandy is that once you find the load you like, you are set. You can use that thing for decades and never have to do anything but change the thing out once in a while as you change the calibers you are working on, if you weigh and check the charges every time start to work.
Old April 20, 2018, 07:33 AM   #30
LBussy

I've looked at a few pictures of the Little Dandy and I think I understand it. Is it just a plated/drum/whatever that has a metered hole in it and you change them out according to the charge you want?

If so, what's the difference between that and something like the Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure? I use the Lee and get very consistent throws ... would there be that much of a difference?
Old April 20, 2018, 09:48 AM   #31
F. Guffey

I do not know, I have a lot of Lee equipment, I do not use it for the most part unless it has to with primers.

I have powder measures from the Hollywood Gun Shop, Lyman old and new, I have Herter powder measures and Lee dippers; I have the black set, the red set and the yellow set, And then I have powder measures from Ohaus, And then there are those old adjustable dippers, they do shot and powder in grains and grams, it has been a long time since I looked at one but I believe there is another scale on the adjustable. And now I am not sure about the grain scale.

And I have Uniflows, if I am not happy with the one I start with I pick up another, if I am not happy with that one I can change the drum, If I do not like that drum I can use a drum from another Uniflow or from an assortment of drums.

F. Guffey
Old April 20, 2018, 10:41 AM   #32
tranders

I bet the Little dandy won't leak powder all over your loading bench.

I had the Auto Disk and it threw very consistent charges,but leaked powder while is use.
Old April 20, 2018, 10:50 AM   #33
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranders View Post
I bet the Little dandy won't leak powder all over your loading bench.

I had the Auto Disk and it threw very consistent charges,but leaked powder while is use.
I have not found that to be an issue - maybe it's related to the powder being thrown? I've been using mostly Win-231/HP-38, which seem to meter very well.
Old April 20, 2018, 12:54 PM   #34
tranders

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBussy View Post
I have not found that to be an issue - maybe it's related to the powder being thrown? I've been using mostly Win-231/HP-38, which seem to meter very well.
Old April 20, 2018, 12:59 PM   #35
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranders View Post
I used HP-38,Bullseye,and Titegroup. They all leaked from the standard Auto Disk. Maybe, the Pro Auto Disk doesn't experience this problem.
That could be. While I have an Auto Disk, I have never used it.
Old April 20, 2018, 04:19 PM   #36
Rifletom

KEYBEAR,
I couldn't stand the wait, so went to my local loading shop and picked up the small drum for my Uni-Flow. What a difference! Baffle or not, it works amazing, even with Unique.
Happy camper. No way I was waiting two weeks for that.
Old April 20, 2018, 09:23 PM   #37
DMY

Used dryer sheet

Irish Lad,
One other hint which I learned on one of the forums applies to all powder measures. If you have static causing your powder to jump around, take a used clothes dryer sheet and wipe the inside and outside of your measure.
Old April 20, 2018, 10:07 PM   #38
wbbh

FWIW I really like the Little Dandy measure. I can charge a loading block of cases in a very short time and visually check the loads with a flashlight. I've even drilled out a rotor to get a custom charge weight.

Powders do vary over time as well as your particular charging technique so I recommend weighing several charges and note your actual charge for each powder/rotor combination.

For all Little Dandy owners store your spare rotors in a 12 gauge shot shell case.
Old April 21, 2018, 08:03 PM   #39
Irish Lad

Got the Little Dandy today. Thought I had cleaned it well and rubbed it down with dryer sheets. Ran some W231 thru it. Cleaned it again ran some graphite, then some BLC-2. Very consistent throws with a couple different powders. Very Happy with it.