The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2014, 01:18 PM   #101
Dreaming100Straight

At the time I knew nothing about shooting and was was simply in awe of a beautiful gun. Three years later I am more than satisfied with a Citori costing a fraction of that Beretta and I doubt that my skills have yet progressed to the point that I would shoot better with the more expensive B gun. Still, they are awful sexy.
Old December 8, 2014, 05:52 PM   #102
FITASC

If you have confidence in your gun, and more importantly yourself, that is what matters, regardless of which gun you shoot.
Old December 9, 2014, 11:15 PM   #103
B.L.E.

Thinking that a high end expensive shotgun will magically transform you into a top ranked shooter is a lot like thinking that a $100,000 fiddle will magically transform you into a violin virtuoso.
Old December 10, 2014, 05:26 AM   #104
eastbank

no, it will not make you a high ranked clays shooter. that will be your job to put in the hard demanding work and training. but it will smooth out the road a little for you. eastbank.
Old December 10, 2014, 01:04 PM   #105
mrmikeypoo

I sold my skeet gun several years ago but, just last weekend a good friend and I shot skeet together. I brought out dear old dads wingmaster and my father-in-laws silver reserve. Neither of us shot well but we had a great time and met some wonderful people. We were even invited back for a member only (which we are not) dinner. I saw several high dollar guns and no snobs.
Edit..... posted wrong precious metal..... oops

Last edited by mrmikeypoo; December 10, 2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old December 10, 2014, 02:06 PM   #106
SPEMack618

Dad has a Perazzi that he uses for skeet and sporting clays.

He also uses an Ithaca 37 Featherweight for trap and skeet when the mood strikes him or he's prepping for dove season.

Mom bought Dad the Perazzi as a retirement present after he got out of the USAF (35 years; 1973-2008)

I've always thought it funny when Dad takes his old Jeep Cherokee to the gun club, gets out and pulls out an old Allen gun bag and then produces a 10,000 dollar shotgun.
Old December 10, 2014, 06:07 PM   #107
pete2

A double bbl is good for whatever you want to shoot.
Old December 10, 2014, 06:52 PM   #108
Blindstitch

Quote:
I've always thought it funny when Dad takes his old Jeep Cherokee to the gun club, gets out and pulls out an old Allen gun bag and then produces a 10,000 dollar shotgun.
That's kind of funny but I understand. I wonder if it's more the gun or the fact that your mom got it for him?
Old December 10, 2014, 08:05 PM   #109
FITASC

Where I shoot, I see that ( the Perazzi story) all the time. There are a lot of folks who love a great shotgun- I do, but I need a winning lotto ticket first!
Some of my squad mates shoot guns that cost more than my car and one shoots a gun that cost more than my house.

Not jealous, mind you, if I could, I would as well, but I settle for something more on my beer budget........
Old December 10, 2014, 11:26 PM   #110
Dreaming100Straight

I suppose I could manage to find a way to afford a gun costing more than my car, but it's just a ten year Honda. If I ever shoot a straight 50 I might do that, but I think the bank account is safe from being raided for that; unfortunately.
Old December 11, 2014, 02:22 AM   #111
Jim Watson

Did you ever think that those old guys with Kreighoffs that you beat with your Mossy shottie were OLD?
That Kreighoff may have taken them to AA in their younger years and it is now the friend of their retirement.

Me?
I used to shoot a little ATA trap, kind of drifted away to other events.
The neighbor who got me hooked on it found me a nice 1100TA which got me off to a good start. I soon thought I needed something fancier, so I branched out. I went through a Winchester, a Pedersen, two Brownings, and two Perazzis; plus everything I could borrow to try out, plain and fancy.
I still have the 1100 for an occasional change of pace from rifles and pistols.
I kept my Browning Broadway, even though I seldom used it for anything but doubles.
Old December 11, 2014, 03:18 AM   #112
Dreaming100Straight

I suppose I could manage to find a way to afford a gun costing more than my car, but it's just a ten year old Honda. If I ever shoot a straight 50 I might do that, but I think the bank account is safe from being raided for that; unfortunately.
Old December 11, 2014, 01:03 PM   #113
SPEMack618

Quote:
That's kind of funny but I understand. I wonder if it's more the gun or the fact that your mom got it for him?
Funny you mention that; right after Dad got the gun, before he was used to the drop, he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it; but being a gift from Mother, he couldn't not shoot it, or atleast not leave the house without taking it.
Old December 11, 2014, 06:28 PM   #114
FITASC

Quote:
Did you ever think that those old guys with Kreighoffs that you beat with your Mossy shottie were old?
I never see that at the clubs I shoot at. Ever. Know some old retired folks who never lose to the young bucks like that. Never see those pump gun guys being HOA either. Several are in their mid 80s and shoot like the national champs they once were.
Old December 11, 2014, 07:27 PM   #115
Jim Watson

We had a state champion who never saw a clay pigeon until after he retired. He had been tough on ducks for a long time, but there was still a learning curve. He climbed it, though.

But we also had some codgers who had slowed down a good bit.
Old December 12, 2014, 02:05 AM   #116
340 Weatherby

Dreamer, you need a better ride for your Citori. John Moses Browning wouldn't be caught dead in a ten year-old Honda. I've read all five pages of this thread and one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the gun has to fit. Another thing is most really expensive shotguns are made to live a really long time. I believe you've got to go with what you've got, but I've found that a purpose built target gun will make anyone a better shooter once you get used to them. I use everything from a old plain barreled model 12 to a Perazzi. And it is easier to shoot a straight with the Perazzi. The main thing is to have fun. My Son regularly leaves his College grad present Beretta 682 home and brings his beater Mossberg out on a Sunday Afternoon. The K-Gun boys kind of snicker when he asks if he can join their squad but they usually walk off the field with their tail between their legs.
Old December 12, 2014, 02:43 AM   #117
Dreaming100Straight

Hi there 340. I kind of know what you mean about fitting. You have seen some of the messing around I had done to my XS Skeet, primarily the adjustable comb, but the dang thing just didn't seem to want to fit. Then we took a lousy 1/4" off the LOP and it seems to work pretty damn well if I just let it do its thing.

I shot that 682 a couple of times on both the trap and skeet fields and it is a sweet gun, but while it is completely different than my Browning, they seemed to shoot about the same for me back then. Of course back then I couldn't hit a thing (not that I am much improved).

It is kind of a chuckle to see him out there whupping ass with his pump gun. I will have to check you out sometime soon. I'm not running any straights or even knocking on that door, but I think things are coming together.

As for the Honda, it's a heap but I feel so comfortable in it. As for getting another gun, the boss lady gave me the green light as soon as her new kitchen is in, but the more skeet I shoot the more I like the Browning. Perhaps that has something to do with it being a skeet model. Sometime I will have to shoot "high end" P or K gun to see if they seem to make much of a difference, but I doubt it would be worth the money until I master some of the fundamentals.

Speaking of the Indian and the Arrow. I ran into a guy today who has given me a lot of skeet tips in the past, but this time he was with the coach he has told me so much of. My buddy is a pretty fine shooter, which should be apparent from the fact that he shoots a Browning Citori XT Trap for skeet. I shot with and watched his mentor work and he was so smooth it was really something. What was he shooting but a Remington 1100 with a ridiculously worn down butt pad.
Old December 12, 2014, 02:59 AM   #118
Dreaming100Straight

Jim Watson, What amazes me is how guys get up to the line with their folding chairs, stools, and wheelchairs.
Old December 12, 2014, 11:03 AM   #119
Jim Watson

But they do it.
I shot trap with a guy who had a tall seat he set right behind the firing line. When not shooting he could unload his legs by barely breaking his knees, so it was easy to stand up straight for the short time necessary to shoot. It had wheels, so at the "Walk" all he had to do was roll it over to the next station.

Had a very elderly CAS shooter who got from stage to stage with a cane, but held up on his own two legs long enough to shoot.

When I was laid up - trauma, not age - I did not resume shooting until I was off walker and cane. But I still have my cane.
Old December 12, 2014, 02:07 PM   #120
Dreaming100Straight

Just what is an "informal clay"? Does that mean top hat and tails or will a simple tux do? Those tails flapping about on windy days are a nasty distraction.
Old December 12, 2014, 03:06 PM   #121
SPEMack618

No, informal means a field scarf and tweed jacket will suffice in lieu of coat and tails.

In my lexicon, informal clays means a round shot for fun or practice, not score or anything.
Old December 12, 2014, 04:38 PM   #122
Jim Watson

The shooting got interesting late in the afternoon at my club.
Trap targets from the Skeet stations and vice versa, and then Stick Birds. Zoom.
Old December 13, 2014, 08:15 AM   #123
Brutus

Love this thread. Out of curiosity what's a stick bird? Also what is the biggest shot size allowed at your club? around here it's #8's which is kind of disappointing as I use 6's and 5's for pheasant hunting. 8's are ok for skeet as that's what I use for grouse.
Old December 13, 2014, 10:19 AM   #124
B.L.E.

Our club allows 7-1/2.

7-1/2 max is pretty standard at most skeet-trap-sporting clay clubs.
Old December 13, 2014, 10:38 AM   #125
Jim Watson

Stick birds: Take the longest golf club shaft you can find, put a clip on the end to hold clay pigeons, hand it to the range baseball star. He can throw targets to amazing distances at all sorts of angles.

The ATA maximum shot size is 7 1/2. Proper ranges are laid out so 7 1/2 and smaller will fall on club property. Anything larger would carry over the fence.
I saw a calculation that a properly laid out combination trap and skeet field would hold all the shot on 37 acres.
I think minimum skeet shot size is 9, international 2mm which is a small 9.