The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 11, 2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Bucks Gun Shop

Why A Pump Over Auto For Home Defense

Gentlemen:

There is no question based on available models, that the pump shotgun is more popular than the auto for home defense. My question is "Why"?

Most people site the occurance of a failure to feed as the primary reason. Well, I have over 10,000 rounds in my Remington 1100 and it has never failed to feed. Of course I keep it clean, but for a home defense weapon, how would it ever get dirty?

I would be curious to know the other reasons that people think a pump is better than an auto.
Old April 11, 2011, 08:00 PM   #2
zippy13

My question is "Why"?
Because pumps typically cost less.
Old April 11, 2011, 08:23 PM   #3
oneounceload

And the money they save, they spend on all sorts of black plastic accessories.....................
Old April 11, 2011, 08:35 PM   #4
jmortimer

Agree it's all about the $$$ as an FN SLP or M2 or M4 or 930 SPX will put out a whole lot of lead real fast.
Old April 11, 2011, 08:42 PM   #5
mes227

And there's nothing more frightening to an intended felon as the sound of a pump action chambering a round.
Old April 11, 2011, 08:53 PM   #6
oneounceload

Quote:
And there's nothing more frightening to an intended felon as the sound of a..................
Deep, low gnarly growl from A Rottweiler or German Shepherd

There, fixed that for ya..............
Old April 11, 2011, 08:54 PM   #7
jmr40

Cost. And the ability to shoot a wider variety of loads that might not cycle an auto.

With good ammo a good auto will probably be less likely to malfunctin since it takes out human error. The trend is changing and more and more shooters are starting to move towards autos or carbines in 223 or pistol rounds.
Old April 11, 2011, 09:06 PM   #8
egor20

$$$$ and/or preference, I had an Ithica 37 as a house gun for years, I now have a Benelli M3. The reason, dang if I know, other than I trust it, thats good enough for me.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old April 11, 2011, 09:34 PM   #9
LordTio3

If you train with your shotguns, you can pump your action upon the recoil of your shot. And in doing this, you gain the ability to put more lead downrange than your senses can even process in the same amount of time. Honestly, I'm not going to be using it to it's full capacity, I'm going to use my rounds sparingly anyway. For that reason, the pump sure is plenty. An auto action would just be gravy. And I don't really relish paying almost twice as much just for gravy.

~LT
Old April 11, 2011, 10:15 PM   #10
Cruncher Block

1. Price

2. Tradition
Old April 11, 2011, 10:50 PM   #11
Terry A

Personally, I prefer a Benelli M2 Tactical, which is a semi.

But, I think the overall quality of the pump shotgun is outstanding. Think of the old Winchester Defenders, the Ithaca 37, Remington 870, Mossburg 500 series...these are down right great, rugged, highly dependable & affordable shotguns.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old April 12, 2011, 09:31 AM   #12
Technosavant

They're considerably less expensive. For the price of a tactical type semiauto, you're talking two or three pump actions.

They allow for a wider array of loads. That high priced tactical semi that's all set up for heavy 00 buck and slug loads? You might choose a different load that won't function properly.

They're simpler. You aren't worrying about a dirty gas system, dried out O-rings, or anything else that might cause a freak failure to feed.

You have more variety in how you can prep the gun for action. With a semi, you either have to leave something in the chamber or it's two separate actions to ready the thing (retract the bolt, hit the bolt release). With a pump gun, you can leave the chamber empty and hammer down with a full magazine, and you can pump it to ready-to-use with your hands in their proper locations on the shotgun. No fumbling around.

What it comes down to is that they're easily had by somebody with most any budget and they can be counted on when the chips are down.
Old April 12, 2011, 09:57 AM   #13
spacecoast

Under stress, I would think that you are far less likely to load a new round and pull the trigger unintentionally with a pump than you might with a semi-auto.
Old April 12, 2011, 10:34 AM   #14
jmortimer

You can make the same arguments about DA revolvers and semi-auto pistols. The semi-auto shot gun is reliable and more effective- much faster shooting and less recoil. If I had the $$$ I'd have an FN SLP or Benelli M series or Mossberg 930 SPX.
Old April 12, 2011, 11:45 AM   #15
Idahoser

Quote:
And there's nothing more frightening to an intended felon as the sound of a pump action chambering a round.
I think it's likely that's the reason 90% of people recommend it. Foolish thing to do, though.
Old April 12, 2011, 12:17 PM   #16
Chainman

Besides Cost...

The pump does have the ability to be turned into a smaller length device.

You can remove the stock and put a pistol grip on one end and take the barrel back as short as legally possible.

This is good and bad...good if you are going to be in truly cramped spaces alot...bad for controllability.

Remember on most semi-auto's you need a stock to enclose the recoil springs/tube, so no ability to go to a pistol grip without a stock.

On the front end, you do have to worry about cutting down too far and interrupting the gas ports (if gas operated) that cycle the piston.

As far as reliability I don't think there's much difference, I've been around every style shotgun made and in high pressure situations MANY people will short shuck the pump anyways. At least an auto you just keep pulling the trigger.

Felt recoil is alot less on an auto too IMO.
Old April 12, 2011, 12:26 PM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would take a cut down single shot with 4 round shell cuff over an auto loader as my ONLY gun but I would own one and keep it ready as HD gun if it were not my only option.

I just like the EARTH SHATTERING reliability of a proven manual design that I am responsible for cycling.

My only current shotgun is a M-500 20 gauge. I could say that about an H&R single but could never say that about the auto loader I intend to own.

Brent
Old April 12, 2011, 12:55 PM   #18
TheKlawMan

It does seem that a well maintained semi can also be reliable, but not quite as reliable as a pump. Also, I see my 870 as filling two related but separate security needs. The sbort term home defense situation and a long term defense/ survival one in which you may not only have to protect your family but also hunt to put food on the table. In a situation without ready access to gun smiths and parts I think a pump is likely to prove much more reliable, and especially if you find yourself in a situation where it isn't even that easy to keep yourself, much less a gun, clean.
Old April 12, 2011, 04:34 PM   #19
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Pump shotguns have been tested in combat since around 1900, and have built quite a rep for effect, reliability and durability.

OTOH, early autos were often called "Jamamatics" and less printable epithets due to probs with non spec ammo, too much oil, too little oil, no oil, wrong setup, etc. Bad form and technique was rarely mentioned, that also contributed to the myths.

Almost all of those probs have been ironed out, but the damage was done.

New autos are boringly reliable, unless you drop them in sand. But besides the folktales, an economic difference exists.

Decent autos run well over a grand new. I can field 3 or 4 870s for the same price, and have a proven platform that I know very well.

Get what you want, run 200 rounds of duty ammo through it glitchless. If
it does what you want after that, you're set, regardless of whether it shucks itself or not....
Old April 12, 2011, 04:39 PM   #20
stonewall50

Quote:
Deep, low gnarly growl from A Rottweiler or German Shepherd

There, fixed that for ya..............
Dogs are actually the number one fear of criminals(something I have heard a few times that I actually would believe).
Old April 12, 2011, 04:45 PM   #21
stonewall50

TBH the pump shotgun has the 1)Price
2)Sound
3)Simplicity (This is of course in cleaning and all of that).
4)870 is the number 1 selling shotgun in history(over 10 million). I mean why go out and look for something over a $1K when you can get one of those used?

Also as far as speed of follow up goes...I can have a second round chambered by the time I am back on target with a pump. It all becomes instinct when you use the gun enough.

So basically if you want something with no frills that you can use anywhere then you pick up the pump 870 that your daddy taught you to shoot. I mean isn't that what we shooters gravitate too? Something that we are familiar with? Comfortable with?
Old April 12, 2011, 05:03 PM   #22
dgludwig

Quote:
Don't rely on acoustics to ward off a committed assailant's plan of attack. More often than not, all the sound of a shucking pump does is to betray your whereabouts.
Old April 12, 2011, 06:11 PM   #23
Bucks Gun Shop

Gang:

Interesting commentary.

Seems to honestly boil down to price which is important.

If there are others please add.
Old April 12, 2011, 06:19 PM   #24
pato

1. Wider field of coverage.

2. Lower cost.

3. It is more intimidating to an intruder/assailant than an auto is.
Old April 12, 2011, 06:23 PM   #25
this_is_nascar

I prefer the pump of my Remington 870 Express Tactical because it allows me to run whatever low-recoil/managed-recoil shells I'd like. In a semi-auto, that might not be the case.

In addition, the sound of loading the chamber from a pump just gives me goose bumps. You don't get that in a semi-auto.