The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 7, 2017, 12:05 PM   #1
CDR_Glock

Traveling with ballistic armor overseas

Planning a trip and I'm going to have my Class III armor book bag. I'm also planning to bring a Class IV plate. Am I better off bringing it into checked baggage? Will I have an issue with customs traveling into the United Kingdom with the Class IV plate?

Any experience or firsthand knowledge would be helpful.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old July 7, 2017, 03:08 PM   #2
Chainsaw.

First question, is this type of armour legal in the U.K? Pretty sure personal responsibility towards personal safety has been outlawed there. Better check their laws.
Old July 7, 2017, 05:35 PM   #3
FITASC

Why are you taking it there; is it a job requirement?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 8, 2017, 12:03 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

According to a couple UK manufactures sites there are no laws or restrictions about owning possessing body armour. Her Majesty's Customs will likely want to know why you have it and it's rumoured that the assorted gang banger actually target people they don't know who are wearing vests. And, of course, there are as many conflicting posts of UK based forums.
https://www.safeguardclothing.com/uk...armour-uk-law/
Old July 9, 2017, 06:34 AM   #5
rkbanet

Here is some info...

22 CFR 123.17 - Exports of firearms, ammunition, and personal protective gear.

(f) Port Directors of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) shall permit U.S. persons to export temporarily from the United States without a license one set of body armor covered by U.S. Munitions List Category X(a)(1), which may include one helmet covered by U.S. Munitions List Category X(a)(6), or one set of chemical agent protective gear covered by U.S. Munitions List Category XIV(f)(4), which may include one additional filter canister, provided:

(1) The person declares the articles to a CBP officer upon each departure from the United States, presents the Internal Transaction Number from submission of the export information through CBP's electronic system(s) per § 123.22 (unless electronic reporting of such information is unavailable, in which case U.S. Customs and Border Protection will issue instructions), and the articles are presented to the CBP officer for inspection;

(2) The body armor, which may include a helmet, or chemical agent protective gear, which may include one additional filter canister, to be exported is with the individual's baggage or effects, whether accompanied or unaccompanied (but not mailed); and

(3) The body armor, which may include a helmet, or chemical agent protective gear, which may include one additional filter canister, to be exported is for that person's exclusive use and not for reexport or other transfer of ownership. The person must declare it is his intention to return the article(s) to the United States at the end of tour, contract, or assignment for which the articles were temporarily exported.

So if the armor come under U.S. Munitions List Category X(a)(1) you can temporally export it for personal use. U.S. Munitions List Category X(a)(1) says...

(a) Protective personnel equipment specifically
designed, developed, configured, adapted,
modified, or equipped for military applications.
This includes but is not limited to:
(1) Body armor;
etc etc...

So the answer is yes but fill out for CBP (Customs Border Patrol) Form 4457 Form 4457 - Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad. Just like you would for firearms, jewelry etc etc.