The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 25, 2001, 05:44 AM   #1
lilbiggun

If something happened today, do you know what you would do?

My wife and I talked about this before I got out of the USMC (I was in japan for my last year). I told her that if anything happened she should grab X guns and gear and head for X space in the mountains and I would meet up with her. It was a good plan (in my book) and we still live by it.
You guys got a plan?
Old November 25, 2001, 05:58 AM   #2
Conformer

I hope she doesn't have to travel by road. Thats going to be check pointed and shut down. That and why would anybody give out any plans online. Thats kind off agiast the whole point in having plans like that. Heres some advice stay legal, stay smart, stay prepared, and do like Therodore Roosenvelt said " Walk silently and carry a big stick." I don't have plans dont need them. I really dout that the SHTF.....I just come up with SHTF posts like in the rifle forum and here to have fun it brings out more creative thinking from people than anything. I don't ever take it seriously.
Old November 25, 2001, 06:01 AM   #3
Conformer

Please don't take offence to my reply.
Old November 25, 2001, 09:12 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

Yep

Sam
Old November 25, 2001, 10:32 AM   #5
gryphon

I believe it was Sun-Tzu who said that those who fail to plan, plan to fail. I'm sure those are not the exact words, but the philosophy is there.

A plan is necessary in order to have your mission succeed. There is of course a good element of luck that might go along with it, but I don't count on luck, I make my own.
Old November 25, 2001, 10:58 AM   #6
Double Naught Spy

A neighbor of my parents loaded up his vehicle on 9/11 with all his survival gear. He called my folks foolish for not doing the same thing. He showed them his maps and his planned route of egress from Texas to Wyoming, all on back roads. Then he left. He has since returned from "camping" as he now calls it, but he called it "bugging out " when he left.

I don't see some types of planning to be very reasonable, pragmatic, or helpful. In such a doomsday scenario, the last place I want to be is on the road with a limited amount of supplies and fire power, competing against a bunch of scared survivalists who undoubtedly will have greater fire power than me. I think I will stay with the castle where I do have supplies, fire power, and where I inherently know the lay of the land.

One thing is certain during such a scenario, the crazies will be out on the road. I am not sure I want to compete with them.
Old November 25, 2001, 01:47 PM   #7
lilbiggun

conformer,
no offence taken. I was just curious about this. we mention to people about how we thought about this and everybody looks at us like we are demented people. Trust me, we dont go into detail about where and how. Anchorage is pretty easy to get out of if you have too. On foot, I can be in the mtns in about 30mins, give a little more if we are going tactical.
Old November 25, 2001, 04:41 PM   #8
Mahakorin

lilbiggun

My first response was that you should have stayed in Japan. Sedate population, minimal risk of crime and breakdown in law and order should things go terminal very quick, and despite the population overcrowding in the cities, there's very good hunting in the Japan Alps - enough fish, wildfowl and boar to sustain a good number of people, and most people in country have lost fieldcraft. But since you mentioned at the end that you were in Alaska, I figure you have the bases covered. Too bad most people don't have the option of going back to nature.
Old November 26, 2001, 03:04 PM   #9
coz

Yepper, but I would not just jump in a vehicle loaded with a bunch of stuff.

I might just have to go spend to the limit on credit cards (if possible) and would prefer to have motorcycles and/or four-wheelers in tow......

Water is an alternate choice also, though you make a good target in the water.
Old November 28, 2001, 08:36 PM   #10
LASur5r

Yup,

Have a little hidie hole and caches and everything. First time we decide we have to bug out from the house, my wife will be Mr. Murphy....stubborn, doesn't like to listen, and doesn't like to follow "Your" plan. Also talks loud and makes a lot of noise....thought of sending her out in the opposite direction to draw fire. (Just kidding, sweetie)
Daughter's good, though, doesn't argue, marches right on out without too much noise, darn good shot with long gun or handgun. Make a good hunter. Can't cook worth a darn yet, though.
Knows the plan down pat.
Old November 29, 2001, 12:04 AM   #11
MulsanneArnage

Great logical reply Double Naught Spy. The last thing I want to tangle with ( even with my "above average" marksmanship ) is a bunch of doomsday SHTF types. Stay home, stay alert, stay safe. After all, I'd rather deal with a bunch of Allah crazed, Raghead Tangos, at HOME, than eat old MRE's in the woods.
Old November 30, 2001, 12:06 AM   #12
swifter...

I live where most of my friends plan to boogie to...

Plan is to get out the shotguns, load everything, hang tight.

Doesn't mean we are not gonna die, just that there'll be an honor guard to hell...

Darn hard to see more than a 100 yards from the deck...
Too damn old to run, young enough to shoot...
Tom
Old December 1, 2001, 03:55 PM   #13
shucks

the towns will BURN, so staying isnt an option

for over 3/4's of the population. Lack of fuel will cause the water pumping and purification to stop, 3 days without water, you are DEAD. SO most WILL HAVE to leave,and they are headed for any known or discoverable farms or ranches, or at least, the local lake or river. The evergreens will burn if not wet, and dog packs will run everywhere. NO water = no fire dept response, even if those men HAVENT bugged out. People WILL try to burn carpet and furniture in their ovens and bathtubs, to stay warm, just like they did in Chesnia (sp?) Motorcycle is better, able to go across country, cut smaller holes in fences, uses a lot less gas, etc. Drifting downriver in an inflatable (at NIGHT) is a way to travel with LITTLE risk or effort. hide self and raft before dawn, leave out a few trot lines,too. If have both Potable Aqua and a filter, water will be no issue, and you will cover 30 or more miles per night. Hitting small,MOVING targets, in the dark,is very difficult. only the guy ABOVE you (on a bridge) gets much of a shot, and at the first shot, you go over the side. Water stops or deflects bullets and buckshot pretty well, especially at low angles. On the far side of your raft, you cant be SEEN. Who will HAVE ammo to WASTE on such shots? without a craft of their OWN, what will they gain by shooting at such a craft? they cant retrieve the booty. Predators dont last long by wasting resources, exposing self to danger for no reason, etc. Most of the US drains into the Louisiana delta, eventually, the rest drains into one ocean or the other, and seafood, salt, and iodine kelp ARE good to have. the inflatable lets you deflate and sink it to hide it, lets you "portage" around dams and bridges,lets you cache it in a SMALL hole in the ground, too. a month or more fleeing the cold, while the killing passes you by, is a good idea, for such a small amount of gear and money spent on same. In a city, I would cache a used mountain bicyle at the edge of town, and use either the sewers or darkness to get to it with minimal exposure. That is, if WALKING to the cached raft seems to be too long a time span. Cache a bit of food at the raft, as well as along the route if the trip is to be more than a night or 2 of travel. You could also cache stuff along the river, and at its sea end. You do NOT want to have to send up smoke signals in order to keep warm, nor do you want the limited growing season of the North, nor the migrated and hibernating animals and birds, nor all the WORK of cutting and transporting wood for fuel, nor the leaving of tracks in the snow, nor the frostbite and cold risks, the NEED for warm, heavy clothing (useless half the year, eaten by moths) etc.
Old December 1, 2001, 10:54 PM   #14
RAY WOODROW 3RD

Double Naught Spy

"In such a doomsday scenario, the last
place I want to be is on the road with a limited amount of supplies and fire power, competing against a bunch of scared
survivalists who undoubtedly will have greater fire power than me. I think I will stay with the castle where I do have
supplies, fire power, and where I inherently know the lay of the land.

Castles are monuments to the stupidity of man.....

Author unknown to me. Just a thought though.

"The key to success in ANY battle is effective communications."

From NJ? Check out "njcsd.com"
Old December 1, 2001, 10:59 PM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I can't put it any better than Mel Tappan in his books on survival. I differ with him in some details, but he pretty much had the concepts right.

One thing for sure, doing the Bugout Boogie into the wilderness is for maybe a few hundred, total, out of all the tens of thousands of folks who think they can do that. Nothing like a crowd of mutually hostile folks, fighting over those caches.

, Art
Old December 14, 2001, 01:57 AM   #16
striderteen

Hmm. I am the only person in my family who would actually make a move...they belive in sitting at home with the doors locked (but no guns -- I'm still trying to argue that point, with little success).

If something happened, I will give them a call, then head for the mountains. I can be deep in the wild within about 30 minutes from home, three hours from my college (if on foot). There is a gun store on the way between college and the wilderness, so I would likely pick up a 12-gauge and ammo en route.
Old December 15, 2001, 02:41 PM   #17
Jay Baker

Striderteen, you say you'll pick up a shotgun at the local gunstore on the way out of the city.

In the People's Republik of Kalif., the communistnazis dictate that you must wait ten days after your purchase, to take possession of a gun you've bought. The owner/manager of a gun store might not take too kindly to you walking in and saying, "I'll take a twelve bore and a box of shells to go, please, and hurry up as I'm kinda rushed."

If I were you, I'd buy that shotgun RIGHT NOW, along with the ammo, so you have it on hand if you need it.

JMHO. J.B.
Old December 15, 2001, 03:00 PM   #18
Apeach

If the United States ever were to get invaded, which as far as I can tell is never going to happen, I'd grab my backpack, load it with the essentials, and pick up some of my friends. I'd try to get some heavy firepower from the invading forces (kill a guy and take his gun), and then head for the hills. In any other SHTF scenario, I'd just grab my pack, get my friends, and head for the hills.
Old December 15, 2001, 07:38 PM   #19
ydnar

I think the big issue would be a strike (NBC) to a major metro making it un -inhabitable. Millions would be forced to relocate- immediately. The infrastructure will not be able to support them, nor will the government be able to assist in any quantifiable measure for weeks. Food, water and basics we have come to expect (heat, electricity,shelter, fuel) will be in short supply and all will be in need. Those who have thought out a plan of survival and have the basics will need to be able to defend them, and protect themselves from the disorder that may ensue in a time of calamity. I do not forsee Al Quaeda paratroopers decending into our homeland anytime soon... but 1 attack on a large city could produce an event that may require a "survival" mentality , at least for several weeks, as we await restoration of civilization. The decision to leave one's home, where any supplies would be stocked, for the open road would need to be carefully weighed against the factors of the road (as mentioned above), and the nature of the event producing the emergency. If it is safe, your home would be the best place to be, at least providing shelter from exposure. Obviuosly, I live near a major metro. So these thoughts may not apply to someone in the middle of Montana...

Old December 19, 2001, 02:34 PM   #20
Kirk Keller

My entire family

has a protocol defined for that type of a situation. All of us, siblings, cousins, etc., would meet at a family owned wilderness area rich in game animals. Plenty to survive on for years and years and isolated from the rest of humanity. Also easily defensible.

Watched the movie Wolverines one too many times.
Old December 23, 2001, 10:43 PM   #21
nwgunman

Hey, is this thread like some kind of flashback to all those 1999 "Y2K" ruminations?
Old December 23, 2001, 11:44 PM   #22
Kirk Keller

nwgunman

Kinda reads that way doesn't it!