The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 20, 2011, 07:43 AM   #1
rhinonewshooter

Does a Beretta A390 ST typically have removable chokes?

I realize that there have been a few discussions on what the ST stands for - my best guess is a translation of the Italian for shoots everything. In any event, I'm going to look at a DU A390ST, shotgun only, no papers, nothing else. This makes me wonder. Is this variant of the 390 a fixed choke, or is it just a sub-model of the 390? This will be my first shotgun, so I really want the flexibility of chokes so I have a decent chance at learning the various shotgun sports.

thoughts on whether this gun has removable chokes (and if so, are they easy/relatively inexpensive to get)?

thanks

Last edited by rhinonewshooter; July 20, 2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old July 20, 2011, 12:35 PM   #2
BigJimP

I'm not a Beretta expert ...but as I recall the 390 series started in about 1990 and it had screw in chokes - but its the older style. Then the 391 series came along around 10 yrs later - and of course has screw in chokes as well - and they went to Optima and Optima plus, etc ...Beretta, and most mfg's have used a number of different screw in choke systems over the various generations of their product.

I thought the older semi-autos were the 300 series ..../ and I don't know if there was a 309 or not..../ but whether it has screw in chokes or not - will depend when it was made.

The ST - I think in Berettas line of guns just refers to "standard" vs Gold, etc ...

If the 309 you're looking at has screw in chokes / I think Briley will still have them available ...or Beretta will probably have them as well.

I can still get choke tubes for the old Browning Invector series that were made in the mid 1970's.

Are you sure its a 309 and not a 390 series ....
Old July 20, 2011, 12:41 PM   #3
rhinonewshooter

You are correct. 390 is what we are talking about here. I'll correct the original post.
Old July 20, 2011, 12:51 PM   #4
oneounceload

It should have removable chokes, but you need to know which ones

http://www.briley.com/beretta.aspx
Old July 20, 2011, 12:52 PM   #5
BigJimP

Ok, since its a 390 - I'm confident it will have the old style Beretta screw in chokes ...the mobile choke system ....

That makes me even more confident the ST means standard grade ...vs whatever else they decided to call the fancier version. Beretta ( like Browning ) makes so many different guns ...their marketing dept / especially in terms of names - have long run amuk ...( Browning XS is another example ...XS, XS Skeet, XS special, XS Ultra, XS-T, Ultra XS ...and on and on....) and I don't think the XS means anything to Browning ..

http://www.briley.com/beretta.aspx

Briley has them for anywhere from $ 25 - $ 100 each - depending on what you want.
Old July 21, 2011, 01:09 PM   #6
rhinonewshooter

To close this thread out - the gun I'm looking at has removable chokes.
Old July 22, 2011, 10:17 AM   #7
RoscoeC

The ST indicates a "sporting" model. It will take the mobil choke system. I have an A390ST. I bought a complete set of Angle Port chokes and really like them. It helps that I have 3 guns that take the mobil chokes.

Nothing wrong with the Briley products either, and I have some of those for my Browning Cynergy.

You should have no problem, the Beretta mobil choke system is about as common as dirt.
NRA Life Member