The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 29, 2020, 02:36 PM   #1
44caliberkid

Anyone Use Metalform 1911 Magazines

They are a little more economical and have good reviews on Brownnells website. Have you used them?
Old March 29, 2020, 04:56 PM   #2
laytonj1

They are one of the suppliers for oem magazines for some of the major makers, such as Colt.

Jim
Old March 29, 2020, 05:24 PM   #3
RickB

I have three, 7-rounders that I've used for twenty years. Probably a combined 5000 rounds through them. No issues at all.
Old March 29, 2020, 06:20 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Their traditional, GI-type 1911 magazines have always performed well for me. That is, until they started squeezing 8 rounds into 7-round tubes by shortening the vertical leg on the follower. Since then, not so great. I keep a stock of GI-design followers on hand, and I convert all 8-round mags to 7 rounds (6 for the Officers ACP). However, I don't know if Metalform still makes a GI-type magazine, at least for Colt. I think Check-Mate supplies Colt's full-size mags and Metalform supplies the shorter Officers ACP/Defender mags. The latter all have wadcutter feed lips.

Metalform has, in the past couple of years, come out with some newer, non-GI design mags. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on those.
Jeepaholic
Old March 29, 2020, 07:24 PM   #5
Mike38

I use Metalform mags in my 1911's exclusively. Have three of them that have worked flawlessly for over 20 years now. Well, almost flawlessly, but I can give them a pass. Quick story about Metalforms customer service. I bought these 3 mags back in 1998ish for Bullseye completion. During a practice session, rapid fire if memory serves me, the base of the mag in use popped off, the spot welds broke away and the mag spring, follower, and remaining cartridges dropped onto the bench. At first I though my pistol went Kaboom. Scared the you-know-what out of me. Quickly found out the mag failed. That evening I emailed Metalform customer service. The next day while at work, the President of Metalform himself called me and asked me about my problem. He said to return the mag for inspection. It took me a couple of days to get it packaged and mailed off. The very next day I got a package from Metalform with a new magazine, and a check that more than covered the cost of shipping. They sent this to me before even receiving the faulty mag for inspection. They trusted my judgement. That is excellent customer service! Like I said, still have and still using those 3 mags. Tens of thousands of rounds total, still working like new.
Old March 29, 2020, 07:32 PM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
...I convert all 8-round mags to 7 rounds...
I do the same...with followers that have the "dimple" [Sic, "tit"]...It is apparent that John Browning knew what he was doing.
Old March 29, 2020, 07:56 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit
It is apparent that John Browning knew what he was doing.
Yeah. Whoddathunkit, eh?

As I have commented before, as recently as a day or two ago, the 1911 magazine holds 7 rounds because that's the most John Browning thought would fit and work reliably. And they worked, for about 80 years. Then people who thought they were smarter than John Moses Browning decided that they could fit 8 rounds into 7-round magazines by shortening the vertical leg of the follower and tinkering with the spring.

And then the fun began.

"If it ain't broke .... don't fix it."
Jeepaholic
Old March 29, 2020, 09:03 PM   #8
rock185

I have used the 7-d. .45 magazines with rounded followers for years. Also their 9-rd. 9MM Front ramp type, and a couple for 38 Super. They are excellent magazines IMHO. Were I buying new 1911 magazines, I'd buy Metalform again.
Old March 29, 2020, 09:16 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock185
Also their 9-rd. 9MM Front ramp type,
Those 9mm magazines with the "integral ramp" front are an interesting animal. IIRC, I think they were Rob Leatham's idea. I have a couple of them. They're a curios anomaly ... I have seen some pistols that will run with those magazines and nothing else, and I've seen other pistols that will run with just about anything else, but definitely not with those.

1911 and magazines are like .22s and ammo -- often, you just have to keep trying until you find which one your gun likes.
Jeepaholic
Old March 30, 2020, 04:49 PM   #10
rc

I have some 10mm 1911 metalforms. Yes, yes, very good mags. I have read they are Springfield's M1A supplier. rc
Old March 30, 2020, 04:55 PM   #11
pete2

I have some in 45 and in 9 MM, work fine.
Old March 30, 2020, 08:27 PM   #12
KyJim

Quote:
Yeah. Whoddathunkit, eh?

As I have commented before, as recently as a day or two ago, the 1911 magazine holds 7 rounds because that's the most John Browning thought would fit and work reliably. And they worked, for about 80 years. Then people who thought they were smarter than John Moses Browning decided that they could fit 8 rounds into 7-round magazines by shortening the vertical leg of the follower and tinkering with the spring.

And then the fun began.

"If it ain't broke .... don't fix it."
I couldn't agree more when you're talking standard length mags. However, I've had good luck with the 8-round mags that are slightly extended. I've tried extended 8-round mags from Checkmate, Metalform, Wilson, Tripp, McCormick, and ACT. They've all been good.
Old March 30, 2020, 11:24 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I was, indeed, speaking only about the original, GI-length, flush-fit magazines with the flush, pinned or welded steel floor plates. (Or, of course, their shorter analogs for the Officers ACP and Defender size pistols.)

Here's a comparison of the followers. The one on the left is a standard, GI-spec follower. The one on the right is the same design if viewed from the top (flat, with dimple/pimple), but with the shorter leg to allow fitting 8 rounds into a flush-fit magazine tube.

For reference, although they don't show up well the graph paper divisions are one-quarter inch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Followers.JPG (44.0 KB, 338 views)
Jeepaholic
Old March 31, 2020, 03:32 PM   #14
KyJim

Thanks for the graphic. I had never actually compared the two side-by-side.
Old March 31, 2020, 04:54 PM   #15
gc70

Colt uses Metalform as an OEM manufacturer.

Old March 31, 2020, 06:15 PM   #16
Brownstone322

As others have pointed out, Metalform is an OEM supplier to Colt (along with Checkmate).

I have two Colt 1911s, and I use Metalform magazines (including four OEM examples, which were suppled by Metalform) and Mac-Gar magazines, and they have all performed flawlessly.
Old April 2, 2020, 08:08 AM   #17
ToddRvs66

I have a couple in 38 super and they work fine, never had any issues with them. They are of good quality and you are right they are reasonably priced.
Old April 2, 2020, 01:30 PM   #18
jacinda

never experienced it
Old April 2, 2020, 06:45 PM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda
never experienced it
Never experienced what? It would help if you would at least identify what post you are responding to, even if you don't know how to quote it.
Jeepaholic
Old April 3, 2020, 02:57 PM   #20
cw308

I have been pretty lucky with magazines or jamming problems , could be I'm not shooting as much as you guys , was shooting 50 per week until this virus hit . Is it a mag design , spring , follower or timing problem the causes problems . I'm shooting Colts , a government 1911 and a New Agent both are 45acp. I clean after every range trip even the mags . I flush the mags with charcoal fluid , removes the grim and leaves a very light lube , maybe helpful . Works for me . Hope everyone's in good health , here in NY were getting slammed so take it serious . Be Safe .

Chris
Old April 19, 2020, 04:25 PM   #21
smee78

I use them in my Springfield 9mm 1911 and they have worked great with no problems. Its been years and they still just keep going and going.
Old April 21, 2020, 07:08 PM   #22
1MoreFord

I've got Metalform .45's and .38 Supers. Both have been changed over to Wilson extra capacity followers and all have been running well for years.

They don't lock back but neither do Wilson mags with extra capacity followers and I'm used to that.
Old April 22, 2020, 12:10 AM   #23
bamaranger

one

I've got 1, a 7 rd model, that I bought for a 70 Series Commander I owned for a while likely 20+ yrs ago. Sold the pistol, but kept the magazine to use on the rare occassion I shoot my vintage 1911.

Now I'm using the Metalfomr in a Tisas I acquired recently. Seems to work fine in both.
Old April 22, 2020, 06:04 AM   #24
JJ45

I have 2 seven rounders with the rounded follower. I think they are some of the best even though JB didn't design the rounded follower.

Of course I have other mags but in my pistols which include a Springfield FS and Colt LW Commander, both .45, the Metalforms with the rounded follower work great.

I also sorted out my 1911 mags with the straight, GI type feed lips which also perform best in my pistols. I prefer 7 round mags.