The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 13, 2020, 01:22 PM   #26
mellow_c

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and recommend an HK USP compact 9mm.

They are expensive new, see if you can find a decent deal online for a used one. If you get a good enough price it is likely it won’t depreciate much if at all.

They have good triggers, are accurate, hold their value well enough, lighter than all steel guns, and are similar in size to a glock 19. It’s a double/single action gun with a cocked and locked option.

Or. . . Just get a glock 19.

I think most people would enjoy shooting the HK over the Glock, just because of the feel.

I just wanted to recommend something different.

An M&P 2.0 compact would be a good one too. They have surprisingly nice triggers and are good reliable guns with a good feel and good price.

I’m having a hard time thinking of a light weight 9mm that would be a good financial investment.

I could definitely get on board with the prelock S&W idea!
As mentioned in a previous post, a nice P38 would be a good investment, but it’s not going to be as light as any of the three I mentioned.

Last edited by mellow_c; March 13, 2020 at 01:34 PM.
Old March 13, 2020, 01:57 PM   #27
stinkeypete

“Investment”- I’m not looking to make a profit, just have something that will be easy to sell at a good price in 10 years or trade for something else equally interesting. My family shoots guns, so if it’s in the safe, it gets shot.

I’ve owned about a dozen Ruger single actions over the years and finally settled on two. The others more than kept up with inflation. That’s the right way to do it.

The wrong way is to buy a ruger 10/22 and get custom barrels and stocks and trigger jobs before Rimfire Central was around to help, then sell off the project in frustration. No matter how much fussing you put in, it’s still just someone else’s project gun to someone else. But I learned. Last year I built up another 10/22 and this time knew a lot more about what I was doing and this outshoots my last attempt by inches and I’ll get my money back next squirrel season if I wanted to sell. (I don’t, shouldn’t everyone have a 10/2z?)

Well, you can buy someone else’s project gun, the one they can’t make run, and buy it from them when they throw up their hands in frustration. Tear the gun down and back to stock and sell all their do dads on EBay. Win.

Suggestions have been real good, thanks. Keep em coming. I’m making a list and educating myself.
Old March 13, 2020, 02:25 PM   #28
2wheelwander

If you want to be $$ ahead, look at military surplus 9mm. I believe there is a Cuban boat load of Beretta 92's out there. Italian police/military trade in's are cheap and plentiful. Holster wear but barely shot.

Saying that, go for a CZ PCR, or an SP-01 if you want to put a light on it. Wonderful handguns.
Old March 13, 2020, 04:25 PM   #29
Gas Bag

Me personally, a Taurus .357 or 9mm, or .45, would be fine.
Old March 13, 2020, 04:37 PM   #30
SHR970

Sig239 if you can find one for a decent price.
Old March 13, 2020, 07:18 PM   #31
rock185

I would think things like the SIG X-5s, P210s, etc. might be a good bet. No trigger, reliability or accuracy work needed. The X-5s, and SWISS and German 210s seem to already have appreciated. And perhaps in 10 years or so, after SIG has discontinued it, one might at least recover most of his investment in an American 210. The HK P7 series has really appreciated, as as the FN/Browning HI Power in the relatively short time since production ceased. People routinely complain about the heavy trigger of the Hi Powers though. The earlier, out of production, S&W Performance Center Pistols have appreciated, sometimes to mind boggling levels.

On second thought, disregard all of the above. I own some of the guns I mentioned, so given my investment history, their value will undoubtedly drop to rock bottom within 10 years
Old March 13, 2020, 07:22 PM   #32
jar

Lots of 2nd & 3rd Gen Smith Police Trade-ins out there right now. Good near indestructible guns at reasonable prices.
Old March 13, 2020, 07:55 PM   #33
GarandTd

I think a Glock g19 or g48, a S&W M&P, Beretta or Taurus 92, CZ or TriStar/Canik of similar size....all are going to, at the very least, hold their value and perform well for you. Hitting cans at 25 yards is on you.
Old March 13, 2020, 08:57 PM   #34
44caliberkid

Just to be odd man out, a like new in the box, Smith and Wesson Model 39 or 59. You can still get them for around $600 or less, and I feel they are due to appreciate in the near future.
Old March 13, 2020, 10:12 PM   #35
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I’m not looking to make a profit, just have something that will be easy to sell at a good price in 10 years or trade for something else equally interesting.
Well, that's your first problem right there!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 13, 2020, 10:31 PM   #36
Cheapshooter

Now, disregarding the "investment" criteria another option for what seems to be your ever changing taste. The Sig P320. Which comes in sizes from sub-compact to full size. With a couple stops inbetween. My own carry gun is the Sig P320 Carry. An hybrid of the compact (G19 size) slide and barrel with the full size (17+1 capacity) frame.
But the interesting part for your ever changing tastes, the "gun", the serial numbered part, is the fire control modual. So you go through the 4473, NICS background check, and what ever other red tape one time. Then add grip frames, barrels, sliding s, and magazines when ever you want to change from a full sized range blaster to a compact carry gun to a sub-compact deep er concealment piece.
As aside, and addressing another concern you mentioned, the trigger is pretty sweet right out of the box.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 14, 2020, 11:36 AM   #37
rc

Kimber 9mm 1911s are great shooters and a decent investment too.
Old March 14, 2020, 12:09 PM   #38
O4L

I would recommend finding a good deal on a slightly used Glock gen5. The G19 is a good fit for many but I personally prefer the longer grip of the G17 or G45.

I picked up my last one for $450 with night sights and four mags. I see them for sale often around here.

A Glock trigger is not great but not bad. I haven't ever had a problem with stock triggers on them or the M&Ps. YMMV.
Old March 14, 2020, 03:09 PM   #39
Onward Allusion

Financial investment? None on your list.

Personally, I'd get a S&W 6906 as an "investment".
Old March 14, 2020, 04:08 PM   #40
TunnelRat

Most things current production aren’t going to appreciate unless they go out of production. By production I don’t include smaller batch custom firearms. I know a few have mentioned the second and third Gen S&W pistols. Idk. I owned a few over the past 9 years and the prices now don’t seem that different. S&W also stopped officially supporting them so parts are getting a bit harder to find. They’re very robust so it likely won’t be a problem, but for a pistol I intend to shoot a lot that is a bit of a negative for me personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 14, 2020, 05:16 PM   #41
osbornk

I don't think anything you are going to carry and shoot on a regular basis will maintain or increase in value. I obviously didn't consider resale value when I bought my 4 handguns chambered in 9MM as they are S&W, Ria, Taurus and SCCY. They are affordable guns that have never malfunctioned and accurate. Buy what you like to shoot at a good price and don't worry about it. Anyway, whatever you buy may not be desirable in 10 years due to the popularity or if there is a recall or bad press on it.
Old March 14, 2020, 08:57 PM   #42
JohnKSa
Staff

If you want a gun to carry, pick the one that fits your carry/reliability requirements the best and make sure it's good quality from a reputable maker.

It should hold its value reasonably well, but more importantly, you will have it with you if you need it and it will work for you if you need to draw.

If you want to buy a gun as an investment, that's an entirely different requirement. I can't think of any firearm I would buy as an investment that I would want to carry. For one thing, most of them aren't really great options for carry. Second, anytime you carry a gun, you risk damaging it, or even losing it.
Old March 14, 2020, 09:12 PM   #43
stinkeypete

ANYONE that loses a firearm should be horsewhipped. Exceptions made for police and military in extreme extreme circumstances.
Old March 14, 2020, 09:15 PM   #44
JohnKSa
Staff

I'm not talking about carelessness. If you need to actually use it, it could be confiscated. And there are other situations under which it could be lost to you.

IMO, you're working too hard to try to make this work and too hard to dismiss/discount anything that doesn't fit your preconceived notions of how this is going to work out for you.

Investments are investments--you choose them for their resale value and protect their condition so they won't lose value.

Items you buy to use are selected based on their utility and it's accepted that during their normal use they will accumulate wear--perhaps even be worn out, possibly be damaged, and maybe even be destroyed or lost.

The two things are rarely compatible.
Old March 14, 2020, 10:49 PM   #45
Dan-O

At this point the best investment you can make is toilet paper.

Just buy a used glock and call it a day
Old March 15, 2020, 10:47 AM   #46
tallball

"Of course if you can get a smoking deal on a nice condition used pistol of your choice that can minimize possible depreciation over time."

I agree. For instance, I got one of those surplus Beretta 81's for $199. It's in excellent condition. It will probably be worth more than that in ten years.

Any nice surplus handgun that you get in good shape is likely to increase in value once the supply dries up, IMHO.
Old March 15, 2020, 11:46 AM   #47
seeker_two

I would recommend a 9mm 1911 or Browning (or FM or Tisas) Hi-Power. Those guns will grow moderately in value yet still be useful for your needs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old March 15, 2020, 12:05 PM   #48
MarkCO

Guns are tools, not financial investments.

There are a scant few guns whose value has risen faster than just a common mutual fund.

If you want a good 9mm handgun, Glocks and CZs are both really good choices that will last a long time.
Old March 16, 2020, 08:09 AM   #49
Skans

I would agree with 2nd Gen S&W's. You can find them in 98% condition for $400. Lots of parts still out there, not that you'll need them. I've had my S&W 659 since the late 1980's. I would never sell it. It shoots everything, is reasonably accurate and has been 100% reliable. Never broke a part on it.
Old March 16, 2020, 01:53 PM   #50
TBM900

Barring some sort of zombie apocalypse type panic, none of those will hold/appreciate in value, nor will any other similar modern pistol.

Me personally, I would take a Steyr L9 over any of those listed, and most everything you didn’t list.