The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 27, 2020, 03:37 PM   #26
RUT

Friends don't let friends buy ProMags.
Old February 27, 2020, 03:45 PM   #27
KROIL

Toss the dice on pro mags. I have gone 50/50 on them . Ya spends yer money and takes yer chances.
Old February 27, 2020, 06:34 PM   #28
PolarFBear

I don't think I have EVER encountered a ProMag. If they ARE so bad how do they stay in business?
Old February 27, 2020, 07:14 PM   #29
Jim Watson

My Sig P220 did ok with Promags. A friend's did not.
Ragged edge crapshoot.

I gave friends ETS Glock magazines for Christmas. Two work, mine works, one doesn't. "Customer service" being tested.
Old February 28, 2020, 04:36 AM   #30
Carl the Floor Walker

I had a bunch of them when I use to shoot the LCP. Never had a problem at all. Obviously not the quality of the Beretta Pico mags, but they worked. Came in handy for the amount of shooting I was doing with that gun. The edges were rough and I honed them down, but they ran fine and then I would toss them and buy more.
Old February 28, 2020, 08:22 AM   #31
AgedWarrior

I have seen first hand and heard of so many problems with Promags that I have never been inclined to try them.
Old March 1, 2020, 05:20 AM   #32
Ifishsum

Quote:
Pro mags are so bad I'd rather single feed.
Interestingly enough the only ProMag I own is a 20rd (with a single round follower) I currently use for HP competition...a co-worker gave it to me when I built my first AR and it only took a couple of tries for me to deem it unworthy of anything but to throw at something. That is until I wanted a dedicated mag to use for single loading LOL...at least it holds the bolt open after every shot. And it's on the heavy side, which works for what I use it for.

Strong 'no buy' from me if you want to use it as most folks use a magazine
Old March 1, 2020, 10:41 AM   #33
JERRYS.

over the years I've tried Pro-mags in several different guns without success. my advise to listen to folks that have actually tried them, and to avoid Pro-mag.
Old March 1, 2020, 10:46 AM   #34
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarFBear View Post
I don't think I have EVER encountered a ProMag. If they ARE so bad how do they stay in business?
because unlike the OP, there are suckers born every minute. always somebody out there looking for a cheap something and no first hand experience so they roll the dice and end up buying McGar et al. down the road anyway. the same with holsters. neophytes don't want to spend $65 on up on a quality holster so the nylon uncle mike's stuff count's on them.

Last edited by JERRYS.; March 1, 2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old March 1, 2020, 06:05 PM   #35
kymasabe

I foolishly tried promag mags in the past and all were total crap and a waste of money.
They're great to load and use as paper weights, or empty to wedge my garage door open, but utterly worthless for their intended purpose.
Old March 1, 2020, 11:25 PM   #36
rc

Sometimes they work, but often they don't. I have had them over the years for smith and Wesson 5900 series, Mini 14 and my Kahr.

The Mini mags will work OK most of the time but the original 5900 mag was a horrible fit but fed ok. The Kahr mags were junk. Gun won't feed with them but will with factory mags.
Old March 2, 2020, 12:34 PM   #37
scoobysnacker

Promag is generally junk, with a few exceptions.

OP is listing a S&W 39-2... from what little I know, this actually is one of those exceptions. I've got a couple and they've run ok for this gun, and I seem to recall someone over at the S&W forum saying the Promags are actually pretty good IN THAT MODEL. And also, the OEM mags are hard to find.

The other gun where promags are acceptable is my doublestack Makarov. That's because the OEM mags are extremely rare, and usually sell for over $100. Even the promags go for over $50 if you can find them. I was extremely fortunate to buy a couple at list price ($20), and they run ok.
Old March 2, 2020, 08:36 PM   #38
larryf1952

The only ProMag that I own is one that I bought many years ago for a Bersa 383A (predecessor of the Thunder 380). Bersa mags were crazy expensive for such an inexpensive little gun, so I bought the ProMag.

When I first tried it, the mag's feed lip interfered with the slide stop, and it wouldn't seat correctly. Some judicious and careful filing solved that problem, and it worked 100% after that. It's still in the gun.

I never bought another one, though.
Old March 3, 2020, 01:42 AM   #39
reloder56

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf1952 View Post
The only ProMag that I own is one that I bought many years ago for a Bersa 383A (predecessor of the Thunder 380). Bersa mags were crazy expensive for such an inexpensive little gun, so I bought the ProMag.

When I first tried it, the mag's feed lip interfered with the slide stop, and it wouldn't seat correctly. Some judicious and careful filing solved that problem, and it worked 100% after that. It's still in the gun.

I never bought another one, though.
I bought three Pro Mags for my Bersa 383A when CDNN had them on sale for $13.00 each. I had to perform the same modification. They all performed well after that.
Gary
Old March 3, 2020, 07:46 AM   #40
agtman

ProMags are highly recommended by the knowledgeable and friendly table dealers at gun shows in this area ...
Old March 6, 2020, 05:02 AM   #41
armoredman

Without reading the entire thread, I have to say - worked in two guns shops, one indoor range, been shooting since I was 9. I will never, ever, ever own a ProMag product. Junk. If you got one that works right, thank your lucky stars...then get it replaced before it fails.
Old March 6, 2020, 05:31 AM   #42
Carl the Floor Walker

As I mentioned on another post, back when I shot the LCP's, I had quite a few magazines around a dozen. I used the Pro mags for range work and never had a problem. And the only problem that could have been a issue from what I saw was the fact that the edges needed to be lightly honed. Not a big deal. In fact one other guy I shot with had them and he stated the same thing.
What I did have a problem with was the Ruger OEM mags made in America. Stopped buying them and would only buy the magazines made in Italy. And that was for other Rugers I owned as well.
I do not shoot the LCP any longer, moved on. Want to see a top quality magazine. Check out the Pico's. About as good as you will find anywhere for any gun.
Can't speak for other Pro Mags, but I would suspect if folks take the time to hone the edges they might work fine. These were never meant to carry but strictly for range work. All the guns I now have are OEM magzines so have not even looked for any other substitutes.
If I did see some at and the price was right, I would buy one to try out.
Old March 7, 2020, 03:55 PM   #43
TruthTellers

I have only one Promag magazine, the 10 rounder for the Ruger LCP and I'll be darned, the thing works. I'd be willing to bet that single stack mags made by Promag are fine, but I'd steer clear of doublestacks.
Old March 7, 2020, 04:02 PM   #44
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight567 View Post
Off question but on topic, if the OP doesn't mind terribly; what is the consensus on ETS mags around these parts?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
They work 100% in carbines, pistols you may have issues. I only have the 30 round ETS mags, so it's possible that the long mags in a pistol is the issue, the standard length ones may work fine, but I've no experience with them.

IMO, the only reason to buy ETS mags is for the extended mags.
Old March 7, 2020, 05:06 PM   #45
Whirlwind06

Was at Cabela's today and someone was buying promags. Was tempted to suggest something else, but minded my own business.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old March 7, 2020, 05:09 PM   #46
luger fan

With Pro it is hit or miss. I have had good luck with some, terrible with others.
Old March 9, 2020, 03:37 AM   #47
veprdude

I sell used magazines as a side business. Pro Mags are garbage. It's almost always worth it to pay for OEM mags, no matter the price. If you get the cheaper Pro Mag, it often will not work and then you're still ponying up for the OEM magazine.

Fit and finish are generally terrible. You might be able to sand/file/grind them into reasonable reliability but at that point you could have bought something else.

I know $40 and $50 used magazines may seem unreasonable but keep in mind there's a reason they sell for that.
Old March 11, 2020, 12:09 AM   #48
hikingman

Not a good primary, or alternative mag.
Old March 20, 2020, 10:03 PM   #49
JFritz

I bought a ProMag 20 rounder for my Mini-14. It works, but it is a PIA to get the cartridges to seat properly in the magazine lip. My Ruger is super smooth to load. No "failures " of any kind with Promag, just a difference in loading them.
Old March 21, 2020, 11:44 AM   #50
greentick

I bought 3 for my CMP M1 carbine and they were drop-free.

First shot fired and they dropped free on their own!

They went back.