The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 29, 2020, 09:55 AM   #101
Carl the Floor Walker

And yet there are some pot metal guns in 22.cal that run great. Some better than guns costing much more.
Old January 29, 2020, 10:05 AM   #102
GarandTd

Isn't the Glock 44 slide polymer?
Old January 29, 2020, 10:24 AM   #103
Areoflyer09

It’s polymer with a steel skeleton.

So it’s not something been discussed here that I’ve seen, but any thoughts on the couple of 44s that have had some issues? One cracked slide and some extractors.

I’m not sure there is enough data to call it a widespread problem, but I’m curious what others think of it.
Old January 29, 2020, 11:47 AM   #104
GarandTd

I hadn't heard about those issues. Are they being discussed on other forums?
Old January 29, 2020, 12:30 PM   #105
Siggy-06

Watched a video where it chokes on 36 grain ammo, but 40 grain runs fine.
Old January 29, 2020, 12:50 PM   #106
Areoflyer09

Edit: I am not trying to cause alarm and I do not currently believe the 44 has a bad design. I think there have been a couple of issues, but lack the information to make definitive call that something is wrong.

The fact it hasn’t shown up here or one of the other general fire arms forums I visit is what’s leading me towards anomalies and not widespread issues. Seemed odd that some commenters are carrying on about the quantity of issues, but it’s also staying weirdly quiet.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/g44-kaboom.1807408/

That first post is the one that I saw first, not sure if arfcom was where the original post was made or not. I have seen that picture several places now though. MAC posted about one with an ejector issue and 22Plinkster shared a video of one having a round go off out of battery.

22Plinkster’s video with the 36gr issue is odd. Some have had an issue with that grain and some haven’t. His seems to be particularly picky about it though.
Old January 29, 2020, 03:38 PM   #107
GarandTd

My M&P 22C seems to have issues with 38gr Blazer. It's the only ammo it's ever choked on.
Old January 30, 2020, 05:16 AM   #108
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areoflyer09 View Post
....So it’s not something been discussed here that I’ve seen, but any thoughts on the couple of 44s that have had some issues? One cracked slide and some extractors....
That's kind of a bummer. Not that I'm in the market for a G44, but I always hate to see a new model go through these 'birthing pains.'
Old January 30, 2020, 05:18 AM   #109
bill460

From everything I've been reading thus far, these things are selling well, and operating flawlessly. Then again, that's what we've come to expect from Glock over the last 30+ years.
Old January 30, 2020, 07:51 AM   #110
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy-06 View Post
Watched a video where it chokes on 36 grain ammo, but 40 grain runs fine.
Worked ok with 32grain, higher speed ammo. In that video.

My 1022, regardless of inter-web 'fixes' only works well with CCI mini-mag..the 'gut' design needed for a 22 semi auto is different than with bigger, more powerful, rounds. BUT by in large, the 44 works great. BUT it's a Glock so I'm sure some sort of company conspiracy...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 30, 2020, 08:50 AM   #111
USNRet93

https://www.glockforum.com/threads/g...4.58125/page-6

Post number 116..36gr as well..no malfunctions.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 30, 2020, 08:54 AM   #112
Areoflyer09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
That's kind of a bummer. Not that I'm in the market for a G44, but I always hate to see a new model go through these 'birthing pains.'
They all still feel like anomalies to me, rather than a trend. I would expect if there was a catastrophic issue we would seeing a lot more of them broken and fewer positive reviews.
Old January 30, 2020, 01:16 PM   #113
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
https://www.glockforum.com/threads/g...4.58125/page-6

Post number 116..36gr as well..no malfunctions.
There is a fella on Pistol Forum that had a problem with 36GR Federal Builk pack in his new Glock 44. Then he did something radical and decided to clean and lube his new Glock 44 and after that the 36GR Federal Bulk pack ran fine, imagine that. Factory "lube" is more about rust prevention than lubrication.
Old March 1, 2020, 05:42 AM   #114
Jeff22

Back about 1982 or so I started accumulating .22 conversion units or .22 cal equivalents of my various guns to allow me to practice for cheap. My normal practice has been to shoot about 1000 rounds a month of .22 indoors in the winter.
In January I bought the first Glock 44 I ever saw. I already have a Ciener conversion unit on a G19 frame and an Advantage Arms conversion on a G22 frame.
I've been REALLY impressed with the Glock 44 so far. I have tested it with the following ammunition types:
200 rnds CCI Mini Mags. (40 grn at 1235 fps)
300 rnds CCI AR Tactical. (40 grn at 1200 fps)
200 rnds Winchester M-22 (40 grn at 1255 fps)
200 rnds Winchester Super Speed (40 grn @ 1300 fps)
200 rnds Federal Black (38 grn at 1260 fps)
200 rnds Browning Performance Rimfire (BPR) (40 grn at 1435 fps)
200 rns Armscore High Velocity (36 grn at 1260 fps)
200 rns Augila Super Extra High Velocity ((40 grn at 1255 fps)
That's 1,700 rounds in five weeks.
I cleaned and lubed the gun after each trip to the range.
I had NO (0) malfunctions.
Most of the shooting I did was accuracy drills on NRA B-24 or B-34 or B-29 or TQ-20 targets at 30 and 50 feet. I also shot on some Warren Tactical WTS-8 targets at different distances.
Both of my other Glock conversions and the SIG factory .22 conversions require hot ammo with plated bullets to run reliably. I've usually used CCI Mini-Mags for that application, and still experienced occasional malfunctions caused by the slide not going fully into battery.
So far I've been really impressed with the G44. The trigger feels like a stock Glock trigger.
Old March 1, 2020, 08:17 AM   #115
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
Back about 1982 or so I started accumulating .22 conversion units or .22 cal equivalents of my various guns to allow me to practice for cheap. My normal practice has been to shoot about 1000 rounds a month of .22 indoors in the winter.
In January I bought the first Glock 44 I ever saw. I already have a Ciener conversion unit on a G19 frame and an Advantage Arms conversion on a G22 frame.
I've been REALLY impressed with the Glock 44 so far. I have tested it with the following ammunition types:
200 rnds CCI Mini Mags. (40 grn at 1235 fps)
300 rnds CCI AR Tactical. (40 grn at 1200 fps)
200 rnds Winchester M-22 (40 grn at 1255 fps)
200 rnds Winchester Super Speed (40 grn @ 1300 fps)
200 rnds Federal Black (38 grn at 1260 fps)
200 rnds Browning Performance Rimfire (BPR) (40 grn at 1435 fps)
200 rns Armscore High Velocity (36 grn at 1260 fps)
200 rns Augila Super Extra High Velocity ((40 grn at 1255 fps)
That's 1,700 rounds in five weeks.
I cleaned and lubed the gun after each trip to the range.
I had NO (0) malfunctions.
Most of the shooting I did was accuracy drills on NRA B-24 or B-34 or B-29 or TQ-20 targets at 30 and 50 feet. I also shot on some Warren Tactical WTS-8 targets at different distances.
Both of my other Glock conversions and the SIG factory .22 conversions require hot ammo with plated bullets to run reliably. I've usually used CCI Mini-Mags for that application, and still experienced occasional malfunctions caused by the slide not going fully into battery.
So far I've been really impressed with the G44. The trigger feels like a stock Glock trigger.
Copy to the MAC channel. It's interesting that when the MAC guy had SIG malfunctions(2 or the 5 he owned plus a faulty 365SAS), he mentioned that they went back to the factory and they 'took care of them'. After his not so complimentary review of G44, he tested the same gun again, w/o contacting Glock..to emphasize his displeasure with Glocks in general and the Glock 44 specifically. What a surprise....

Glad you had good luck with the G44, you aren't alone..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old March 1, 2020, 08:24 AM   #116
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Copy to the MAC channel. It's interesting that when the MAC guy had SIG malfunctions(2 or the 5 he owned plus a faulty 365SAS), he mentioned that they went back to the factory and they 'took care of them'. After his not so complimentary review of G44, he tested the same gun again, w/o contacting Glock..to emphasize his displeasure with Glocks in general and the Glock 44 specifically. What a surprise....

Glad you had good luck with the G44, you aren't alone..

MAC isn’t the only channel on YouTube that has had issues with the 44.

I love the reactions to YouTube videos. If it’s positive obviously the person is a paid shill. If it’s negative obviously the person just hates brand X. I’ve owned numerous pistols where I had terrible luck despite most people being fine, including a Gen 4 Glock 19. Not every experience is the same. This is why samples of one are mostly pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 1, 2020, 06:46 PM   #117
SGW Gunsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
I think its pretty comical, all the bitching and complaints, and no one has even seen or shot one yet.

They must REALLY have the haters scared!
Outstanding! A .22 Long Rifle round is not an easy one to design a magazine around, mainly due to the rim diameter prevailing how the rounds ride in a magazine.
I have and shoot a "passel" of Ruger Mark pistols and their single stack magazines, 10 rounders at best.
How about those that complain about Glocks Model 44 offering magazine capacity, especially the OP, design and devise a 30 to 60 round version. Don't whine about it, FIX IT!
Old March 3, 2020, 11:20 AM   #118
Areoflyer09

I’ll admit I watched the initial problems that arose with some concern and gave it some time to see if they continued. I’ve watch the threads over on glocktalk and arfcom, I’m not seeing an exponential increase of issues. There are some problems, but it’s hard to tell what is an issue with the firearm, what is user induced and what was just a fluke.

All of that said, I bought a 44 on Saturday. Sunday I ran 898 rounds through it. I had 8 or 9 failures that were feeding it ejecting. I tested 19 brands of ammo, not huge quantities of most of it. Most of my failures arose from Norma Subsonics, 950fps is just below the point of reliability. CCI Suppressor at 970fps tan without issues.
Old March 3, 2020, 09:01 PM   #119
AK103K

I picked up two 44's when they first came out, and so far, between the two, Ive got 3500 rounds through them, and a total of three stoppages, two of which were squib type malfunctions with some old Winchester Super X. The one other unexplained stoppage was a CCI Blazer and if failed to eject.

Considering that they are .22's, Id say thats a pretty good record.

Both guns have been accurate and fun to shoot. I swapped out the factory sights with three dot night sights, as those are what I prefer. Factory Glock 9mm sights and Meprolight 9mm sights seem to be right on and work well.

Mag wise, I have 11 mags now, and havent had any of the issues some seem to be having.

At first, I did see some rounds sitting more level than pointed up at an angle, but it didnt seem to be an issue with feeding, and as I shot the mags more, I havent seen that since either. Maybe some mags springs just need to seat a little with use. Who knows. I load them just like I do any of the other 22 mags Ive owned too.

98% of the time, I put the mag in the gun with the slide locked back, and use the slide stop to release it.

Most of what Ive been shooting in mine, have been CCI standard velocity 40 grain Blazers. I tried a few other makes and types when I got the first gun, and other than those couple of issues above the Winchesters, which are over 25 years old now, the others worked fine.

Historically for me with 22's, you find what the gun likes and try to stick with it. I know Glock made a lot of claims about feeding everything, but I think the reality is, find what the gun likes and stick with it. Blazers arent the cheapest, and they aren't expensive either, about $185 a 5000 round case shipped from Target Sports.

Ive been over on GT with all the drama there about them, and while its toned down a good bit now, its still kind of going on.

What seemed to be dwelled on, and more so by those who dont have one of the guns and havent shot one, were those couple of videos and articles and a lot of regurgitated repetition.

Overall, the majority of people posting there that have them, seem to be happy with them and not having the issues that seems to be being pushed in the videos.

I asked MAC why he didnt just didnt send the gun back and let Glock take a look at it and fix it if something is actually wrong, and he said he keeps what he tests as proof, in case he needs them as evidence. Whatever. If thats the case, and he wasnt going to allow Glock to make it right, he should have tested a second gun just to at least show if it was a fluke or a trend or he just got a bad example with the first. Which happens with any of them. I dont see much sense or proof in doing the same thing over and over with the same gun, if its not working properly.

Im not sure why he was having so much trouble with his mags either. They seem pretty straight forward unless youre doing something wrong in loading them.

Ive owned a lot of other makes of 22's over the years, and some of them were pretty expensive, some not, and the one thing that seemed to be common with all of them was, they had a certain ammo they liked, and they liked to be kept clean. Im not seeing anything different here with the Glocks either.

All in all, Im happy with mine, and glad I got them.
Old March 4, 2020, 01:47 AM   #120
bill460

Thanks for an honest, accurate assessment.
Old March 4, 2020, 11:06 AM   #121
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
I picked up two 44's when they first came out, and so far, between the two, Ive got 3500 rounds through them, and a total of three stoppages, two of which were squib type malfunctions with some old Winchester Super X. The one other unexplained stoppage was a CCI Blazer and if failed to eject.

Considering that they are .22's, Id say thats a pretty good record.

Both guns have been accurate and fun to shoot. I swapped out the factory sights with three dot night sights, as those are what I prefer. Factory Glock 9mm sights and Meprolight 9mm sights seem to be right on and work well.

Mag wise, I have 11 mags now, and havent had any of the issues some seem to be having.

At first, I did see some rounds sitting more level than pointed up at an angle, but it didnt seem to be an issue with feeding, and as I shot the mags more, I havent seen that since either. Maybe some mags springs just need to seat a little with use. Who knows. I load them just like I do any of the other 22 mags Ive owned too.

98% of the time, I put the mag in the gun with the slide locked back, and use the slide stop to release it.

Most of what Ive been shooting in mine, have been CCI standard velocity 40 grain Blazers. I tried a few other makes and types when I got the first gun, and other than those couple of issues above the Winchesters, which are over 25 years old now, the others worked fine.

Historically for me with 22's, you find what the gun likes and try to stick with it. I know Glock made a lot of claims about feeding everything, but I think the reality is, find what the gun likes and stick with it. Blazers arent the cheapest, and they aren't expensive either, about $185 a 5000 round case shipped from Target Sports.

Ive been over on GT with all the drama there about them, and while its toned down a good bit now, its still kind of going on.

What seemed to be dwelled on, and more so by those who dont have one of the guns and havent shot one, were those couple of videos and articles and a lot of regurgitated repetition.

Overall, the majority of people posting there that have them, seem to be happy with them and not having the issues that seems to be being pushed in the videos.

I asked MAC why he didnt just didnt send the gun back and let Glock take a look at it and fix it if something is actually wrong, and he said he keeps what he tests as proof, in case he needs them as evidence. Whatever. If thats the case, and he wasnt going to allow Glock to make it right, he should have tested a second gun just to at least show if it was a fluke or a trend or he just got a bad example with the first. Which happens with any of them. I dont see much sense or proof in doing the same thing over and over with the same gun, if its not working properly.

Im not sure why he was having so much trouble with his mags either. They seem pretty straight forward unless youre doing something wrong in loading them.

Ive owned a lot of other makes of 22's over the years, and some of them were pretty expensive, some not, and the one thing that seemed to be common with all of them was, they had a certain ammo they liked, and they liked to be kept clean. Im not seeing anything different here with the Glocks either.

All in all, Im happy with mine, and glad I got them.
Yes thanks for a good review and common sense.

The internet seems to have turned into this constant parrot type of bashing. The days of good honest reviews seem to be going by the wayside
Old March 4, 2020, 12:34 PM   #122
AK103K

Quote:
The internet seems to have turned into this constant parrot type of bashing. The days of good honest reviews seem to be going by the wayside
Drama does seem to be the thing these days.

Someone on another board pointed out, and something I really hadn't really considered, as Im not really a YouTuber, that a number of the guys who have channels on YouTube are making money off them, and the clickbait is $$$. So the drama is good, and the more of it, the better. Kind of sounds familiar, and not just here with guns, eh?

From personal experience over the years, the only way to really know if something youre interested in is for you, is to buy it and find out. Ive had guns that were supposed to be great, that I had nothing but trouble with, and guns that were supposed to be total trash, and mine worked great.

Do your homework the best you can, and make a decision. Its not going to be the end of the world if it doesnt pan out, and you might be missing something great, just because someone else dislikes something and seems to have an agenda.

Buy enough guns, and sooner or later, its going to be your turn in the barrel. Thats just a fact of life.

You pays your money and takes your chances.
Old March 4, 2020, 02:39 PM   #123
Jim Watson

A friend is taking one back to see if the dealer will help him get it fixed.
Persistent light strike misfires with his usual Federals.

ETA Dealer says magazine follower causing drag on slide, causing failure to breech up fully. Glock working on fix.

Last edited by Jim Watson; March 5, 2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old March 4, 2020, 03:47 PM   #124
Fishbed77

Quote:
From everything I've been reading thus far, these things are selling well, and operating flawlessly.
Selling well... I',m sure. Operating flawlessly... well that's the exact opposite of what all internet reviews (MAC, Plinkster22, etc.) I've seen are saying.
Old March 4, 2020, 04:54 PM   #125
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Selling well... I',m sure. Operating flawlessly... well that's the exact opposite of what all internet reviews (MAC, Plinkster22, etc.) I've seen are saying.
Those are the same two main reviews that keep getting posted and pushed by those who seem to want to push the negative and want to pound on them.

Ill ask the same thing here I ask those who keep saying the guns are a problem.... hows your gun running and what problems are you having? The usual answer is "crickets".

Go read the reviews at various sites where people who have them are posting, and I think youll see that the "majority" of those posts are positive in nature.

And on that note, my son and I just got back from shooting both of mine this afternoon, 500 more rounds, 250 each gun, and they were all "flawless". And a lot of fun as well.