The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 6, 2020, 03:29 PM   #1
stagpanther

Sometimes less is more

I bought this AR 47 upper from PSA a few years ago for $145; it turned out to be one of my favorite "beaters" when I get tired of all the fancy stuff. Both it and my AK really like 123 sst's driven by AA1680. PA reddot at 75 yds, 4 shots made one hole, I can't really call the 5th shot a flier since I can't see well unassisted.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2864.jpg (133.8 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg 7.62 x 39 123 sst 28.1 AA1680.jpg (142.0 KB, 396 views)
Old April 6, 2020, 08:27 PM   #2
9x19

Sweet!

Call that one errant shot a "sighter"... no need to explain exactly why.

My PSA 7.62x39 upper is a fun one as well, but I had to adjust it a bit.

It's now at 10.5" and just about perfect (for me).

Old April 6, 2020, 09:16 PM   #3
stagpanther

That's a nice rig as well--very concealable. I had a scope on mine--but replacing it with a simple reddot knocked over a lb off the weight and made for close-range rig I wouldn't mind hauling all day through the mountains and woods.
Old April 9, 2020, 10:27 AM   #4
smee78

I also have an AR-47 and love it. I purpose built it with a scope for hunting and its a tack driver. I still haven't worked up a load but it shoots good with the Winchester hunting ammo. I use the ASC magazines and haven't had any feeding problems. For me its the best of both worlds a 30cal round and the ability to mount optics and change the rifle around as needed.
Old April 9, 2020, 10:32 AM   #5
stagpanther

You can see the load I developed is quite good--if a bit on the warm side. I've used to for years and it always works well in anything chambered for 7.62 x 39 that I've fired it through. As usual--use data at your own risk.

Last edited by stagpanther; April 9, 2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old April 10, 2020, 01:19 PM   #6
stagpanther

My other PSA "less is more" rig--I bought their 308 carbine upper and lower and had me a perfectly good hunting semi-auto for just under $500. Their EPT trigger I think is perfect in that role. The only way I could get co-witness functionality with both the reddot and irons was to go with a 1/3 cowitness. Works fine once you get used to the front post.

This is a great value--but is seriously over-gassed IMO. It will work with anything you feed it, but it's murder on brass and is going to be a bit of a kick on the shooter as well. Since I wanted to keep the front post sight my only alternative was to tone down the hit in gas on the carrier. A sprinco extra power spring, H3 buffer and adjustable gas key later she shoots sweet as can be. No gas blowback problem either.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2877.jpg (118.2 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; April 11, 2020 at 07:12 AM.
Old April 11, 2020, 06:25 AM   #7
armoredman

I've been loading 7.62x39mm with AA#1680 for years, best powder I've found yet. The SST is an excellent bullet indeed, and it is one that is in the rotation to see how well it works in the newest member of the herd, the BREN 2 MS. Nice rifle, and I am quite fond of PSA stuff as well, great products and people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BREN_2_MS_on_the_line_jpg-1355105.jpg (56.9 KB, 13 views)
Old April 11, 2020, 07:09 AM   #8
stagpanther

I agree 1680 is THE best--but it can be hard to find, and I've found CFE BLK and SWB to be very good substitutes. The sst excels in 7.62 x 39; I've also had very good results with 125 gr MKZ's by Lehigh.
Old April 11, 2020, 04:35 PM   #9
stagpanther

Since I had good luck with the sst's in my AR 47--decided to use an old box of 165 sst's for my PA10 carbine as well. Finding a good load is pretty tough, that mid-length gas in a 18" tube I find is hard to find a good timed load. But I think I found one using varget. I did cheat a bit by not including the one flyer, but that's SOP for me so I call it a bonus throw-away.

I developed an inverted L target which enables me to bracket the top and side of the unmagnified reddot. An interesting phenomenon (or maybe my eyes are just too far gone) but the bushnell reddot when I use just the reddot without cowitness the dot tends to look faded and washed-out. When I cowitness through the rear iron--for some optical reason the black aperature makes the reddot stand out better. So I found it really helped to shoot cowitnessed with the irons.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2890.jpg (41.5 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg PSA 308win 42.8 varget 165 sst target.jpg (64.5 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg PSA 308win 42.8 varget 165 sst.jpg (65.0 KB, 169 views)
Old April 12, 2020, 02:23 AM   #10
stagpanther

This is roughly what it looks like cowitnessed sights sighting target.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg trd.jpg (77.8 KB, 157 views)
Old April 13, 2020, 09:52 AM   #11
smee78

So it seems a few people have also had good luck with AA#1680, I think I will have to give it a try once all this BS virus stuff is over.