The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 11, 2020, 08:31 PM   #26
Swifty Morgan

I went to MidwayUSA and looked for a cheap AR15 spring, and that's what I got. I saw the idea on a forum somewhere.
Old March 12, 2020, 10:50 AM   #27
TRX

I found that the .44 Desert Eagle was very sensitive to ammo. It shot Samson/IMI fine. Anything else was a "maybe." The .44 Magnum is primarily a revolver round, and no matter what the specs said, a lot of it was way wimpier than it was supposed to be. Revolvers don't care, so I guess they got few complaints. Owners of autoloading shotguns have the same problem in finding shells that will cycle their guns.

If it's cycling Samson ammo and not Precision One, I'd be giving the squinty eye to the Precision One ammo. Maybe someone at your local range could be persuaded to let you fire a few rounds across their chronograph.

On the other hand, the short-recoil action of the LAR Grizzly and the AMT Automag V seems to be more flexible than IMI's implementation of a rotating bolt gas system; you could use this as an excuse to buy another .50AE gun to use up the wimpy ammo...
Old March 12, 2020, 03:58 PM   #28
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty Morgan View Post
I fired 7 rounds to see if the gun was working. I wore a face shield. Far as I can tell, only one round hit the shield. It's hard to tell, because your mind goes blank for an instant when this gun goes off.
Hmm. the .44 Mag Dessert Eagle I shot was the only .44 (in my limited experience with it) that I found comfortable to shoot. The DE soaked it up pretty well.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 14, 2020, 03:10 AM   #29
silvermane_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX View Post
I found that the .44 Desert Eagle was very sensitive to ammo. It shot Samson/IMI fine. Anything else was a "maybe." The .44 Magnum is primarily a revolver round, and no matter what the specs said, a lot of it was way wimpier than it was supposed to be. Revolvers don't care, so I guess they got few complaints. Owners of autoloading shotguns have the same problem in finding shells that will cycle their guns.

If it's cycling Samson ammo and not Precision One, I'd be giving the squinty eye to the Precision One ammo. Maybe someone at your local range could be persuaded to let you fire a few rounds across their chronograph.

On the other hand, the short-recoil action of the LAR Grizzly and the AMT Automag V seems to be more flexible than IMI's implementation of a rotating bolt gas system; you could use this as an excuse to buy another .50AE gun to use up the wimpy ammo...
IIRC TRX, your 44 mag Deagle is a Israeli made one so naturally it would like Samson/IWI/IMI made ammo.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old March 14, 2020, 12:07 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

"Deagle" is a pretend pistol in a video game.

They wanted to call it a Desert Eagle, but the name block in the game didn't have enough spaces so they called it "DEagle".

I have Desert Eagles in .357 and .44 Magnum. Don't have any "Deagles", don't have the game, either...

and while I have shotguns and revolvers as well, I don't have any "shottys" or "wheelies" Last "wheelie" I did was on a Hodaka Super Rat about 40 years ago..
Old March 14, 2020, 11:57 PM   #31
silvermane_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
"Deagle" is a pretend pistol in a video game.

They wanted to call it a Desert Eagle, but the name block in the game didn't have enough spaces so they called it "DEagle".

I have Desert Eagles in .357 and .44 Magnum. Don't have any "Deagles", don't have the game, either...

and while I have shotguns and revolvers as well, I don't have any "shottys" or "wheelies" Last "wheelie" I did was on a Hodaka Super Rat about 40 years ago..
Yes 44 AMP, but it become "common place" to call a Desert Eagle a "Deagle" just like "shotties" "wheelies" ect., everyone knows what you're referring to with the listed terms unless you're a total "noob".
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
Old March 16, 2020, 07:16 PM   #32
GarrettJ

For starters, if Samson ammo worked for you in the past, order some of that and see if that clears up the issue. That will tell you if it's an ammo problem.

Quote:
Today I fired the gun, and most rounds failed to extract. The ones that did extract generally hit me in the face... I know how to shoot it. I hold it very firmly, and it worked for me in the past.
Your grip may still be part of the issue. A solid grip is part of it. But where does the gun track when you shoot? The gun wants to twist in the grip when firing, which points it just right so it will eject at one's forehead.

I find when I start to get malfunctions, I'm also getting pegged in the forehead. This is an indicator that I'm making the gun recoil straight up, or reasonably so. I really have to pay attention to how I'm allowing the gun to recoil. The smaller calibers tend to be much easier in this regard.

Back to ammo, I've had my .50 barrel for a half dozen years now, and I've probably got less than 100 rounds of factory ammo through it. OTOH, I've reloaded a lot of ammo for it. A slow magnum powder tends to work best. I shoot almost exclusively H110 (big fireballs) and AA#9 (less flashy). I have tried AA1680, but it did not cycle the action. In .44 Mag I have also used Lil Gun, which works well. Other powders that didn't work were Blue Dot and HS-7.

FYI, the factory ammo I have run through it was a box of 300 gr. Hornady Custom XTP, and a couple boxes of Reed's Ammo 335 gr. Gold Dots. They all ran well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
Hmm. the .44 Mag Dessert Eagle I shot was the only .44 (in my limited experience with it) that I found comfortable to shoot. The DE soaked it up pretty well.
I originally bought a .44 Mag. I didnt' buy a .50 barrel for several years, as I figured the .44 could do anything teh .50 could, at less cost per round. When I finally did buy a .50 barrel, I was surprised at how much more recoil the larger caliber produced. Actually, not so much the recoil as the amount of muzzle flip. The difference between the two was more than I had expected it to be.

Last edited by GarrettJ; March 16, 2020 at 07:22 PM.
Old March 17, 2020, 08:21 PM   #33
Swifty Morgan

Has anyone here tried a ported barrel? My barrel doesn't have a rail, so I'm thinking it would be nice to get a new one anyway, and ported barrels are available. In fact, now that I think about it, I haven't seen a non-ported barrel in brushed chrome yet.
Old March 17, 2020, 08:39 PM   #34
GarrettJ

I've got one of the lightweight L5 models in .357. They come with a 5" ported barrel. I also have a .357 barrel for the MK-XIX. Shooting them back-to-back, they feel very different. The ported barrel is... abrupt. You still get the blast, but it's back on target before you recover. The unported gun then feels like a slow roll up and then back down. You really have to experience them. I can't very well describe the difference.

I tried to make a video comparison, but it really doesn't show as much as I would like it to.

https://youtu.be/oGvOz3cvlYw

I haven't ever tried a ported .50 barrel, but I've got to imagine the difference would be even greater, where the larger cartridge has more gas to work with.
Old March 17, 2020, 08:59 PM   #35
Swifty Morgan

I have a real allergy to selling guns, so I feel determined to make this thing work. Maybe a new ported barrel would be helpful. Or I could send the old one to Mag-na-Port. I wonder what they charge.
Old March 18, 2020, 05:34 AM   #36
silvermane_1

Quote:
I have a real allergy to selling guns, so I feel determined to make this thing work. Maybe a new ported barrel would be helpful. Or I could send the old one to Mag-na-Port. I wonder what they charge.
Well if "you know what you're doing", you could probably could port the barrel yourself there Swifty.
Old March 18, 2020, 03:14 PM   #37
Swifty Morgan

I'm an amateur machinist, but I make plenty of mistakes!

I can get the gun ported for under $200, but they won't be able to put a picatinny rail on it.
Old March 18, 2020, 03:20 PM   #38
GarrettJ

MRI used to sell a rail that bolted onto the 2-slot barrels. You could likely find one on eBay or gunbroker.
Old March 20, 2020, 04:45 AM   #39
silvermane_1

Quote:
I'm an amateur machinist, but I make plenty of mistakes!

I can get the gun ported for under $200, but they won't be able to put a picatinny rail on it.
Hmm, there's always using a compensator on the Desert Eagle, I've seen ones that are compensated there Swifty.
Old March 31, 2020, 01:31 PM   #40
Logs

I bought a case of 180 Grain 44 Mag for my DE and it wouldn't eject them. The only thing that will work in mine is 240 grain and hotter the better. They are cool looking guns, but it is crazy on how many people you hear have trouble with them for what they cost.
Old March 31, 2020, 08:17 PM   #41
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
They are cool looking guns, but it is crazy on how many people you hear have trouble with them for what they cost.
You need to check out those "many people who have trouble" and see exactly what they are doing, or not doing. I'd be willing to bet a lot, if not most of the problems are because they are doing something the maker does not recommend.

Think of them as a specially tuned performance engine, made to run on a special blend of high octane fuel. IF, because its cheap, and available, you tank up with Regular 87 octane (and 10% ethanol, to boot) that tuned engine expecting 92 octane and a special blend at that, that engine isn't going to be happy.

The gun needs to be fed a specific special diet (though there are some workarounds) and it has to be "driven" (handled & shot) just the right way or its not going to work as well as it can.

It's NOT a gun made to run on anything and be used any old way, and its not sold as one.

Quote:
I bought a case of 180 Grain 44 Mag for my DE and it wouldn't eject them.
I hope you've got other .44s to use that ammo in...

I run 180s from mine, they work great! They are, however MY handloads, TUNED to the gun, and not factory. The maker has a list of factory ammo they recommend for the gun. Don't expect any thing else to work. They might, and if so, great, but don't count on it.