The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 24, 2020, 12:25 AM   #26
MrBot

Agreed. My bad. ..shoulda put that in op. But I'm betting my thumbs forward on this relatively small pistol is the problem. ..probably rubbing the slide. I'll try more of the Remington 115 gr JHPs ammo that caused the problem to see if it repeats.

You are not ready for meat--you are still on the bottle. Stacy Washington: aka, Stacy On the Right]
Old March 24, 2020, 09:12 AM   #27
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBot View Post
Agreed. My bad. ..shoulda put that in op. But I'm betting my thumbs forward on this relatively small pistol is the problem. ..probably rubbing the slide. I'll try more of the Remington 115 gr JHPs ammo that caused the problem to see if it repeats.
You’d have to put a lot of pressure on the slide to cause it not to lock back. I don’t think the problem was your thumb rubbing the slide, I think the problem was your thumb riding the slide stop. It’s extremely common with a thumbs-forward grip. I keep my right thumb away from the gun and rested along the base of my left thumb to prevent this.
Old March 24, 2020, 02:10 PM   #28
MrBot

Copy that, Theohazard. I'll check out my grip the next time I'm @ the range and watch some vids on the topic before my next shoot. I thought I had a good purchase on the li'l hg but maybe it needs an adjustment. ..appreciate the comeback.

You are not ready for meat--you are still on the bottle. Stacy Washington: aka, Stacy On the Right]
Old March 24, 2020, 03:03 PM   #29
Webleymkv

It's possible that it could've been an ammo issue too. Do you remember how the empty cases were ejecting? Were they being flung well clear of the gun or just kind of lazily plopping out of the ejection port? I have seen failures to lock back when the round has just enough power to cycle the slide enough to eject and feed, but not quite enough to engage the slide stop. Remington 115 gr JHP isn't a particularly powerful 9mm load and that combined with a new gun with a recoil spring which hadn't taken set yet could've caused your issue.
Old March 26, 2020, 01:06 AM   #30
MrBot

Nope. ..nothing unusual that caught my attention regarding spent rounds being lazily ejected. Next time I head out to the range I'll try those Remington's again just out of curiosity.