The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 16, 2018, 05:12 PM   #1
BBarn

LC Smith Complexity

I have an old LC Smith (Hunter Arms, Grade 2E) that my grandfather gave me long ago. He was a gunsmith and warned me not to disassemble it because it was very difficult to reassemble. (If I remember correctly, the difficulty related to the hammer springs and/or lockwork).

The gun is well worn and has had some unfortunate cosmetic "updates" that I might consider correcting or at least lessening. But to do some of that would require disassembly of the stock from the action to do a decent job.

So I would like to first determine how difficult these are to work on, and how delicate they might be. For example, I see the stock is rather thin in the areas above and below the sideplates. So, is this a gun that would best be not take apart?
Old January 16, 2018, 09:29 PM   #2
Oliver Sudden

This is a side lock gun and the locks can be taken out while cocked. To disassemble the lock you need a main spring vice. The top lever spring can by a problem but to remove the stock you needn't take that spring out but the bottom end of the top lever fits into the trigger plate and again can be difficult to replace correctly. Consider taking it to a gunsmith for disassembly then back to him for reassembly after your work. Your grand father gave good advice!
Old January 17, 2018, 04:09 PM   #3
BBarn

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and advice. I'm now considering what I might be able to do without disassembly.
Old January 18, 2018, 11:07 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Without going to the (physical) library in the next room, this is what I could find: