The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 29, 2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Playboypenguin

Anyone have the Walther PPS and XD or Glock or H&K?

I am curious if anyone has experience with carrying both the Walther PPK and one or more of the others polymers. Specifically the Glock G27, Springfirld XD-9SC, or H&K P2000SK.

I am curious as to whether the PPS is actually any easier to carry than the other and if it would make a better "summer carry" choice.
Old April 29, 2008, 07:43 PM   #2
RsqVet

PBP --

I can carry a Glock 26/27 without the finger grip mag front pocket of my jeans, or cargo pocket of BDU's / BDU shorts no problem. Feels about the same weight wise as a PPK.

Does not do bad on a belt either but I still prefer something slimer for belt carry, though that is largely me and with a 26/27 the footprint of the thickness is very small.

Having messed with most all of the mini-glocks I find the 26/27 at the top end of the spectrum for "pocket compact" guns, a 30 or 36 simply can not be made to work for me. It has at times almost had me looking at the GAP.... almost.

Same goes for the HK P2000SK ... it's just a little bigger.... BUT the 26 for me is max size so it's just "bigger enough" to be a no go. Obviously others will have varying opinions with many chiming in that the G26 is too big, it's kind of like price range for a car or house... it's easy to go just a little more... then a little more.... till you find yourself way out of what is comfortable. I have learned this the hard way on several fronts including carry guns.

As to what is the best choice, the mini glocks are my hands down first choice for summer carry, or carry and forget it type scenarios. Reason one is they resist corroshion, reason 2 is they are reliable even when cruddy.

I love the PPK and the Sig 232, they are great designs and well built. However if I take either out to the range with 1k of ammo, and no cleaning supplies I know both will have issues somewhere north of 500 rounds. Now When I see how cruddy some of my guns seem to get in a holster in the glove box or in pocket carry... who knew I has so much lint.... It gives me serious pause....

I guess if we were all religious about weekly attendance to the carry weapon then it's a non-issue, but life catches up with me all too offten...
Old April 29, 2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Playboypenguin

Thanks...but not asking about the PPK...asking about the PPS.

Plus, the G26/G27 and P2000SK are both way to big for pocket carry for me.
Old April 29, 2008, 07:53 PM   #4
RsqVet

OK I'm a moron, I'll wait with baited breath for others to fire away as the PPS has caught my eye as well, though my jury is still out on it...
Old April 29, 2008, 08:02 PM   #5
packa45

Haven't carried it so take this for what it's worth...while fondling one and thinking of buying it the PPS felt lighter and thinner than the ones you've mentioned. Wouldn't necessarily think of it as a pocket gun but rather a very concealable compact with decent firepower.

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns.

Last edited by packa45; April 30, 2008 at 05:19 AM.
Old April 29, 2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Catalina

Have a G26, P2000SK and a PPS.

PPS feels like half the gun while carrying.

Perfect for SmartCarry or AIWB.

Noticeably thinner than the Glock, and thinner than the HK.
Old April 29, 2008, 09:28 PM   #7
vox rationis

Quote:
Have a G26, P2000SK and a PPS.

PPS feels like half the gun while carrying.

Perfect for SmartCarry or AIWB.

Noticeably thinner than the Glock, and thinner than the HK.
I was looking at the PPS also. Is it hard to find mags? And how 'spensive are they?

thanks