The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 1, 2020, 01:07 PM   #26
Sanch

For $1500 I buy a Springfield Armory TRP or any SA 1911 before I bought any Python. Now the dead honest caveat is I'm a dyed-in-the-wool, resolutely committed 1911-A1 man. So I wouldn't get nutted up over my preference for a 1911-A1. Shooters with a lot more IQ horsepower would assuredly go with a Python.

But that's how hand gunners are. We have our favorites to which we're loyal, reason and logic be damned ;-)
Old December 1, 2020, 08:33 PM   #27
603Country

I have an old Python and a new 686+. I had a gunsmith tune up the 686 action to get it closer to the smoothness and trigger pull of the Python. The idea was to take the shooting workload off the Python, which I did, and the 686 is great. But, the 686 is surely nowhere near as pretty.

If a fellow wants a Python, nothing else will do. That’s the way I felt. And I bought a Diamondback in 22LR also. Best looking 22 revolver ever.
Old December 1, 2020, 09:18 PM   #28
KyJim

My last three revolver purchases have been a Performance Center M19, a new model King Cobra, and a new model Python. The triggers on the Colts are much better than the Smith and they don’t stack. Is the Python worth their price? They are like high quality 1911s. A lot of people would never buy an Ed Brown or a Nighthawk. Worth it to some but not to others.
Old December 1, 2020, 10:39 PM   #29
pete2

KyJim, The new Python has a better trigger pull(double action) than a S&W?????? Colt must have redesigned the innards, never seen an out of the box Colt that would hold a candle to a S&W, never. The old Python stacks by design, ugly compared to a S&W.
Old December 2, 2020, 06:34 AM   #30
CajunBass

Quote:
KyJim, The new Python has a better trigger pull(double action) than a S&W?????? Colt must have redesigned the innards, never seen an out of the box Colt that would hold a candle to a S&W, never. The old Python stacks by design, ugly compared to a S&W.
Colt did redesign the internals of the 2020 Python. Don't ask me to tell you the difference, that's just what I've read.

My 6" Python is one of the first batch, with a S/N < 3000. It has, at worst, as good a trigger as I think I've ever used, but does suffer from the occasional light strike with some (CCI) primers. A softer primer, (Federal) seems to have eliminated that problem without sending the gun back.

The 4" one is from a later batch S/N > 5500, after Colt has changed spring rates (or whatever they do, I'm no gunsmith) and is a little heavier, but still smooth. I haven't fired that one yet, so I can't comment on how it shoots, but it's nice to dry fire.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 2, 2020, 09:08 AM   #31
603Country

The DA trigger pull of the Python and 686 are indeed different, though it’s hard for me to understand how you can see one as better or worse. Now that the 686 trigger has been smoothed out, it’s on par with the Python in SA. Both are excellent. But the DA pulls are different. As I see it, the Python has a longer DA pull and does stack, but that actual stacking helps me shoot the pistol well. It’s predictable. As for the 686, the DA pull is shorter and more abrupt, and for me is less predictable. I don’t shoot it as well. Maybe, over time, I’ll get better with the 686.

Maybe I should mention that my Python is not a new Python. The 686 is new.

I paid $350 for the Python in the early 80’s. I paid $800 for the 686.
Old December 2, 2020, 10:27 AM   #32
wild cat mccane

AND which is going to go out of time first?

The Python will.
Old December 2, 2020, 01:25 PM   #33
Nick_C_S

My first gun, purchased new in 1983, was a Colt Python (6" Blue). I knew nothing about guns (my father was a combat veteran [Korea], and hunted as a youngster in Hawaii, but was not a gun guy - there were no guns in our house, growing up.) I went into the gun store looking to by a 38 Special with a 6" bbl. The salesman explained the only way to get anything longer than 3", you'd have to go with a .357 (I don't know if that was what was being produced at the time, or if that was all he had in stock.) I didn't even know they were actually the same caliber. So when I looked at the 357's the Python caught my eye immediately - I had to have it. $449 price tag (blued) - compared to the $275 price of the 686's (stainless!).

It seems to me, fast forwarding to 2020, the new Python is more competitively priced now than it was then.

After I had the Python for six months or so, I kinda realized that it was a "Cadillac" gun. Something to be cared for. I caught the shooting bug bad and wanted something I could shoot a lot and not worry so much about it getting bumps n bruises. So I got a 686 (8-3/8" bbl - I was obsessed with long barrels at the time - I think I thought they were more accurate). Turns out, I really liked that 686. It fit better in my hand and the trigger "stacked" less. I just shot it much better.

I still have my Python - it comes out to play about ever other year. And I now have three 686's. My 4" and 3" 686's get lots of range time. I carry my 3".

I read an article in Concealed Carry magazine by Bob Campbell. He spoke favorably of the new Python. Said it was better than the old, actually. So there's that. So it seems to me, if you want a Python, get a new one. Me? No thanks. I just happen to like 686's better. Personal preference.

P.S. I do wish I had gotten my Python in a 4" bbl. Water under the bridge.
Old December 2, 2020, 04:21 PM   #34
Sgt127

I’ve always thought the Python was a beautiful gun. I went through 4 or 5 of them in the late 70’s early 80’s. I thought the timing was weird and, for me, the trigger was awful. Stacked at the end. Felt like it had rubber bands inside. Not steel parts and springs.

The New Python may be a better gun mechanically with all the looks of the original python.

If there was even the slightest shortage of .357 Magnum revolvers in Casa De Sgt127, I’d pick one up.

I can not justify one more gun. Of any kind.

Last edited by Sgt127; December 2, 2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old December 2, 2020, 06:38 PM   #35
Kurbsky

If they don't start making the Royal Blue Colt Python agai, I think I will just buy the Royal Blue Colt 1911 and forger about Python.
Old December 2, 2020, 09:16 PM   #36
zoo

Eh, I don't see it at $1500.00. I like the S&W 586/686 better than the Python and I wouldn't even pay that for a 686.
Old December 2, 2020, 09:43 PM   #37
larryf1952

To the OP; you have stated what I have thought about the new Python ever since they were first introduced. IMO, they're a great $900 revolver that's priced at $1500. Typical Colt. To me, that's just silly money. I've got some very nice guns in my safe, but I've never spent more than $900 on any of them. Of course, those were the Colts.

At one time, I owned a 1978 vintage Python. It was pristine. The pride of my collection. It became too valuable to shoot. Which made it worthless. So, I sold it.

In my safe are 2 Ruger GP100's, a Security Six and a Smith 686-3. They satisfy my .357 itch. The Rugers are smooth shooting brutes, and the Smith satisfies the missing aesthetic aspect of the Python.

I'd love to own a new Python; I think they're gorgeous, and, although I've never handled or shot one, I'm sure that they are excellent revolvers. I like the fact that they were reintroduced in stainless, as I prefer stainless over blue. Much easier to keep looking good and maintain. At $900, I'd be on a waiting list somewhere. But, at $1500 for another .357 handgun, I'll take a pass.
Old December 2, 2020, 10:25 PM   #38
Kurbsky

I also sold a 1911 at one point in my life that was too precious to shoot. I have a feeling that the price for this new Python will go down eventually but probably never below $1250, especially considering upcoming inflation. I also have a revolver in my collection that I have never shot but that's because I am afraid to shoot it - Ruger Redhawk .44 mag. I have bad memories about my arm hurting for days after shooting that small light S&W Ti (sold it at a loss).
Old December 3, 2020, 04:51 AM   #39
hemiram

I had a 6" blued Python back about 1981 and I liked it, but I didn't love it. The hand breaking on it wasn't a positive memory, and when I sold it off, I didn't miss it. Still don't. I missed my S&W 28-2 that was "patinaed" much more and last year I finally got one and then another and another. The three are all in excellent shape. Now if S&W would make a 627 that was lock free and looked like my 629-1, they would get my money. But that's unlikely to happen, so the blued 28's and SS 629-1 and 625-3 will be my N frame fixes for the rest of my time above ground.
Old December 3, 2020, 07:52 PM   #40
KyJim

I’ve mentioned in another thread that the Python is my retirement gift to myself. I probably would not have bought it otherwise. But don’t confuse the old and new Puthons. The trigger is as smooth as my old Pythons but without stacking. Will it be more prone to timing issues than a Smith? I don’t know since a lot is new internally. BTW, other than the new Python and my new King Cobra, the best trigger on a revolver I have owned is between a Colt OMM and a Smith k-frame from about 1928

Last edited by KyJim; December 3, 2020 at 11:55 PM.
Old December 3, 2020, 08:02 PM   #41
RKG

To each his own. I would pass. Others apparently salivate. We are both right.
Old December 3, 2020, 10:11 PM   #42
Kurbsky

Usually people compare Pythons to S&W 686 or others in .357 but MHO some polished .357 mag Rugers both blue and stainless are quite beautiful. I dont know how they shoo though.
Old December 4, 2020, 12:49 AM   #43
Porsche911

I say no.
$1500 for a nice 1965 Python is a better deal.
Old December 4, 2020, 04:47 PM   #44
KyJim

Quote:
I say no.
$1500 for a nice 1965 Python is a better deal.
You're right. And if you can find one at that price, let me know. I haven't seen that kind of a price for years.
Old December 4, 2020, 05:17 PM   #45
Drm50

Without getting into money value I don’t think any S&W, Ruger or Colt of today’s manufacture is worth $1K. There was “expert” on You Tube video recently that was expounding on the new guns being better than old for shooting purposes. You don’t argue with such people. They know so little they aren’t worth your time. Guy was trying to sell MIM parts as better than milled steel. There was a point in gun making that the craftsmanship and materials reached the peak. We are past that point. There will be advances in materials and processes but the Golden Age is behind us. The new generation of guns with be like baseball bats. They will do the job but have no class or character.
Old December 4, 2020, 09:08 PM   #46
zoo

I have to agree in the sense that neither the new incarnation of the Python or the S&W 586/686 are worth anywhere over a grand.
Old December 5, 2020, 10:17 AM   #47
603Country

They are only worth it to the folks that think they are worth it. I have the Python (pre 2020) and the 686, and they are both worth it, but one of each is plenty.
Old December 5, 2020, 02:21 PM   #48
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
I have to agree in the sense that neither the new incarnation of the Python or the S&W 586/686 are worth anywhere over a grand.
And yet most buyers seen to think the Pythons are worth double that. Good luck finding one for $1,500 in today’s market. $2,000 is pretty much the going rate right now.
Old December 5, 2020, 08:25 PM   #49
Kurbsky

My local dealer offered me a shorter barrel 2020 Python for $1,500. I only wanted 6" one though. Most people want 6", probably because it is perceived to work better against zombies.
Old December 6, 2020, 08:58 AM   #50
CajunBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbsky View Post
My local dealer offered me a shorter barrel 2020 Python for $1,500. I only wanted 6" one though. Most people want 6", probably because it is perceived to work better against zombies.
Which you apparently agree with.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Closed Thread