The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 24, 2017, 07:45 PM   #1
Tony Z

Opinions of Ruger American Target

I'm considering a Ruger American Target rimfire in .17 HMR. Any opinions here? I originally wanted a 10/22 target in .17, but it seems they are discontinued, so I took a look at the American. Opinions?
Old December 25, 2017, 07:10 AM   #2
Mobuck

Tony Z,
If you're the guy who asked the same ? on rugerforum, I answered you there but if not here's my answer:
I've not had a satisfying experience with my RAR 17 Compact. The extractors are weak. I use mine suppressed and the only load that will consistently extract is the CCI "Green" which is slightly below a full velocity. This would be OK if that particular ammo provided satisfactory accuracy--which it doesn't. I need as much accuracy as possible for my uses and 1.5-2" @ 100 yards quite often is marginal.
I used my RAR 17 last fall in a nuisance wildlife removal project. The marginal accuracy cost me almost 2x ammo consumption and 3x time spent on the project simply due to misses that should have been hits and marginal hits requiring extra shots.
Maybe my problem is a single instance or maybe not. Maybe the design didn't take into perspective the use of a suppressor or maybe the extraction design is simply weak or inadequate. I don't have the answer. My rifle is on the job as needed so sending it back for a do-over isn't really an option. I'll manage with it(and complain) until I get around to some sort of upgrade.
Old December 25, 2017, 08:05 AM   #3
Tony Z

Thanks - I'm not registered on the Ruger forum and to this moment, was not aware of it.

Reason I asked is, originally I was looking for a Ruger 10/22 in .17 HMR, but I guess those are no longer made. LGS has a .17 in target, but it is a gun I know little about.
Old December 25, 2017, 09:40 AM   #4
VoodooMountain

I’ve got the sporter version in 22 mag and 22lr. I’ve had zero issues with either of them in any capacity. Thr 22 mag wears a cheap bsa scope and there are 3 different types of ammo that give me very near one hole groups at 100 yards off of a wobbly table and bags.

The 22lr wears factory iron sights which wash out at targets at 100 yards but I can consistently get 6” groups at this distance even though the front sight takes up the whole target....and then some.
Old December 25, 2017, 09:55 AM   #5
Sharkbite

I have 2 RAR’s (1 in 22lr and 1 in 17 hmr). My shooting buddy had one in each caliber. All of them are the “Predator” model.

We could not be more pleased with any of them. Accuracy has been all you could ask for in a lightweight rimfire. He has made repeated hits on prairie dogs at 300 plus yards with the 17hmr and left em DRT.

The only complaint (if you can call it that) is the fore-ends on each rifle needed to be relieved to free float the barrel. Literally, 10 minutes with a dremel and the stocks no longer touches the barrel and they have been tack drivers ever since.
Old December 25, 2017, 07:18 PM   #6
RC20

I have not shot one but CZ makes a heck of a nice 22.

17 off the same setup.

Its accurate, I don't know if the 17 model has the same chops or not.

Basically a fieled 22 with the accuracy close to a target gun.