The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 1, 2017, 11:37 AM   #26
Texas Reb

Oliver,

The kit you're working on sounds about like my luck. I'd probably get the worst one if I ordered it.
Old December 1, 2017, 03:24 PM   #27
CLYA

I agree exactly with what FrontierGander said. "These kits aren't bad at all". I have the Kentucky pistol kit. I expected a fair amount of wood work, as well as some metal trimming, bending,etc. ,depending on how we want to fit the various parts. They are not drop all the parts back in, such as with my already built Traditions Hawken Woodsman rifle.
Old December 1, 2017, 03:57 PM   #28
FrankenMauser

There's a difference between a kit requiring fitting, and a kit that's a collection of crap parts.

Just a short list of bigger issues with the kit I recently fought:
(There were many more "small" issues.)
Quote:
The stock was inletted too deeply for the tang.
The front and rear sight screw holes are drilled but not tapped.
The sight screws, themselves, are almost 1/8" too long for the application - if the holes were actually tapped.
The thimble is for a round barrel, not the provided octagon barrel, and fits about as well as Merle Haggard at a Black Panther party.
The thimble screws are also too long and the holes are not tapped.
The ramrod channel is drilled offset.
And, to top it all off, the trigger assembly is bound up with paint and the crappy spring keeps falling out (it's supposed to be staked in).
I had to reengineer the trigger assembly and make a new spring. The thimble needs to be rebuilt - from scratch. And more...

A pertinent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary
The reason why Trinidad State has its first year bench metal gonne smithing students build the Traditions Trapper is that it is a POS. They wanted us to have a hard time with the kit and many of us did.
Old December 1, 2017, 07:38 PM   #29
FrontierGander

oh i remember you now with that kit. I highly suggesed that you send it in to traditions for replacement. Deerhunter correct?

Ive had zero trouble with their kits and actually have one waiting for me at home to build over the winter. Along with a friend wanting to build another kentucky kit for himself.

No suh thing as a tang inletted to deep. Thats a beautiful things to have as bedding the tang is the best thing one could do with a sidelock.

This one rifle of yours however is not common and should in no way scare folks off. They offer many great kits.

As for the trapper pistols, I'd certainly have no problems. If the guys at the college can not build something thats 95+ % complete, I wouldnt want them touching my personal rifles. But since I live near that school and have used their gunsmiths in the past, I know Bill does solid work as he drilled, tapped two of our mosin nagants and did a fine job.
Old December 1, 2017, 09:22 PM   #30
FrankenMauser

Quote:
No suh thing as a tang inletted to deep. Thats a beautiful things to have as bedding the tang is the best thing one could do with a sidelock.
When the tang inletting is so deep that the tang sits 1/4" above the bottom of the slot when the barrel is bottomed in the barrel channel (which can't be deepened, due to lock and ramrod channel locations), it is, in fact, too deep.

Never say something is impossible - especially when companies are trying to shave every possible penny from a design, or are in a race to the bottom (a competition to offer the lowest possible price point in a market segment).
Just look at Taurus and Remington. Within the last 20 years, they've both offered firearms (not kits, but complete firearms) that were so broken, unsafe, and/or unreliable because of cost-cutting measures to get them into production, that the models got slapped with a 100% recall order and all production ceased. Every single one that was produced was recalled without a replacement in production. They had to re-engineer the entire pistol before being able to restart production and offer replacements to the original buyers.
(Remington R51 and Taurus PT-138 [pre-Millenium, pre-pro], if you are not up on the failures.)

I did contact Traditions about my kit. Their only offer was to send me another trigger assembly, which wouldn't have really done any good since it was a bargain-basement design to begin with.
Old December 1, 2017, 09:46 PM   #31
FrontierGander

Well regardless, stick to factory build rifles in your case.
Old December 1, 2017, 10:04 PM   #32
CLYA

Plenty of information on the net, in regards to Traditions kits, if someone is willing to look. More than not, by quite a margin, the kits have positive reviews.
Old December 3, 2017, 05:57 PM   #33
iac

Reminds me of the CVA Plainshunter kit I got ~20years ago for $80 (?). Looks like I put it together in the dark, but shoots well enough against big money Kentucky Rifles in woods walk shoots !