The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 19, 2017, 01:40 PM   #51
dakota.potts

Funny thing. This is all my understanding, not advice. However,

In South Carolina, I can legally carry inside of a bar, nightclub, whatever, but may not consume any alcohol while carrying.

In Florida, there appears to be no limits at all about being intoxicated and carrying a gun (there is one about using a gun while intoxicated, but lawful self-defense is an exception). BUT strict legal interpretation in Florida prevents me from walking through the bar section of Applebee's or Chili's to go to the bathroom even if I am not drinking.

Go figure
Old May 19, 2017, 02:47 PM   #52
FITASC

I do not believe that to be true -you cannot SIT or EAT in the bar section, but passing through to go to the bathroom ,I do not believe, is covered as a no-no.

What part of Florida will you be relocating to?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 21, 2017, 09:39 AM   #53
Recoil spring

Taking out the garbage. Use a knife/pepper spray instead.

I am licensed to carry, but in our training class here in Texas my instructor said any amount is bad. I have been known to take out the trash late at night after a few brews, I leave the gun inside and instead put a good knife in my pocket and pepper spray as well. I make a quick effort to reduce my time outside, and if there are any shady looking people I will just cancel and do it in the morning.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:48 AM   #54
Berserker

"There are already laws on the books in AZ about being publicly intoxicated - carrying a gun will mean something only if you do something stupid with it. Stagger around drunk, and you are going to go sober up in the drunk tank. Then you can fight next week to get your gun back, you idiot."

Up north as long as you are not driving you can stumble all over. It is pretty rare to get public intoxication, you would have to be screwing with the cop or cause a problem. Falling down drunk, is not a problem. Better than driving.

Good to carry a handgun case. Not going to get you out of everything, but in a case in the trunk is better than under the seat. The % to drive is higher, that the % to carry.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:50 AM   #55
Berserker

I put my garbage can out in my underwear, after dark. If I needed a knife and pepper spray, I would move. Especially if I had a family. No way to live.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:32 AM   #56
loknload

Very simply I never worry about it since I don't drink!
Old May 21, 2017, 12:19 PM   #57
ShootistPRS

I can't say I never drink but it is rare. 3 - 4 times a year I will have a beer or a glass of wine during or after dinner. I don't drink and drive and I don't carry, handle or use firearms if I have had any alcohol. It just isn't worth the trouble it might cause.
Old May 21, 2017, 07:23 PM   #58
peggysue

Iowa is same law as driving with CCW. Above .08
Old May 24, 2017, 03:51 PM   #59
muzzleblast...

I don't have an answer to the OP's post. But, carrying while intoxicated sounds like a good way to get one's name mentioned in the local newspaper.
Old May 24, 2017, 04:07 PM   #60
CalmerThanYou

I am a big fan of common sense. We recently had quite a thread going on the topic of trigger modification and potential liability.
Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs while carrying, seems like a real opportunity to be shredded in court if you were to be involved in any kind of self defense shooting lethal or not. I quit consuming alcohol 1.5 years ago, but I wonder if I would have had the discipline to leave it home every time I went out for dinner and drinks.
Old June 13, 2017, 06:42 PM   #61
dajowi

Oregon doesn't prohibit the use of any intoxicant (legal or otherwise) while in possession of a firearm. Common sense would obviously say the two don’t mix, but Oregon does not criminalize such behavior.

I find it pretty hypocritical that people feign contempt for anyone carrying a firearm while under the influence yet go out on the weekend to their favorite shooting spot with friends, kick back a few beers or whatever and blast away?
Old June 15, 2017, 03:35 AM   #62
Hal

Quote:
In wisconsin it's the same as the limit for a dui (.08 I think?) with two exceptions. 1. restaurants/pubs that you are drinking in. That first drop makes it illegal to carry while inside the bar. If you are not drinking, you are legal. 2. At home. You are not required to put away your firearm at home when you are drinking; however, handling or having that firearm on your person is illegal.
So....you have a small glass of wine @ Thanksgiving dinner & some creeps pull a home invasion & drag the womenfolk off into the other room for some entertainment & you just have to sit there and watch?
Sounds pretty "liberal" to me...
Old June 15, 2017, 11:55 AM   #63
Buzzcook

Quote:
So....you have a small glass of wine @ Thanksgiving dinner & some creeps pull a home invasion & drag the womenfolk off into the other room for some entertainment & you just have to sit there and watch?
Sounds pretty "liberal" to me...
Actually just the opposite. A conservative interpretation would be absolutist.
Old June 22, 2017, 04:41 PM   #64
hdwhit

Quote:
Hal wrote:
When I read your question, the first thing that ran through my mind was, "What was he doing while the 'womenfolk' were being drug away?"

But, assuming that the explanation of Wisconsin law is correct, then the answer to your question would be that you act and then plead justification afterwards.

After all, you're sitting there with a handgun and you're asking why the law would prevent you from using it, well, what are you going to do with the handgun?

Stand up and waive it around while making a speech?

Or are you going to shoot the home invaders?

Well, you're obviously going to shoot. But shooting someone is a crime in every state. There are situations where you can be guilty of that crime and be excused from punishment because you were justified in your actions, but just as with the wine, you are going to have to admit to the crime and then plead justification for a defense.