The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 16, 2017, 02:47 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Need a scope or red dot. Recommendations?

Happy Easter everyone. I have a problem in need of a solution, and I don't want no snide remarks about get a real gun or some other crap like that.

I have a Mossberg Maverick Over/Under and a .32 H&R Mag adapter. I shot it from the over barrel recently and it grouped within 2" at 25 yards. I consider that pretty good for what I was working with.

The problem is that the .32 adapter shot a good 6 to 8 inches low and the sights on the gun are fixed front and rear, so I can't adjust them. I am going to say that this issue must be related to the barrel regulation and that moving the adapter to the under barrel will make it shoot 6-8 inches higher than the POA.

BUT THERE'S GOOD NEWS! The shotgun has a pic rail on the top and I can easily mount a scope or a red dot or something else to help bring the POA to the POI.

That being the case, here's what I need:

- I'd like an optic for shooting anywhere from 15-40 yards with the .32 adapter.

-Price must be under $250

- It must hold up to shooting 12 gauge in the lower barrel.

What do you folks think? I've heard good stuff about Primary Arms red dots and also the Holosun is pretty popular. I also own a Mueller APV adjustable objective scope and could use that, unless there's a non adjustable objective scope available that's better suited for the task.

Also something important to note. I have astigmatism in both eyes, but the right eye is especially bad. I hear red dots don't work to well with astigmatism.
Old April 16, 2017, 04:06 PM   #2
Snyper

Start with the AO scope you already have to see if it will make enough difference to justify buying a dedicated sight.
Old April 16, 2017, 09:00 PM   #3
GripRigger

Vortex SPARC either gen1 or gen2. Fantastic warranty.......I bent the ocular on mine when I dropped it and they still replaced the whole sight. I don't know about the SPARC AR....... I don't like the look of it, just me.
Old April 17, 2017, 11:02 PM   #4
RoughDivider

Yeah my aimpoint Pro starbursts for me, probably like 4ish MOA but if I look at it through the rear aperture on my AR it goes down to dot.
Old April 18, 2017, 12:23 AM   #5
Metal god

My recommendation is the primary arms new red dot with 50k hour battery life . I watched a AK torcher test that had that red dot on it . They dropped it , stuck it in the freezer over night , drug the gun around behind a truck by a rope and all that happened was one of the lenses cracked . The red dot not only still worked , it was still zeroed .

https://www.amazon.com/Primary-Arms-...+red+dot+sight

Couldn't find the torture test but here's a basic test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdPemw8CVSU

About a year ago I might have suggested a Vortex product but since then my strikefire took a dump . That was after my Vortex scope crapped out on me . So I've bought two Vortex products and both needed there VIP warranty . Great warranty for sure , to bad it's needed so much . So I went ahead and bought the Primary arms red dot for my "primary" AR .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .