The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 23, 2014, 01:51 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

.44-40 black powder

Just got done reloading some .44-40 with a .429 200 grain lead bullet.

Very light crimp was fine.

Heavier crimp is hard on the thin wall of the case.
Old May 23, 2014, 08:37 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

REALLY ? Why ?

It is not on mine as I am using the same brass from 20 years ago, all of it crimped tightly upon the appropriate projectiles by a LEE Factory Crimp die.
Old May 24, 2014, 05:54 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Don't know why

Same dies, Very careful with the adjustment.

These are the first .44-40s I have reloaded and obviously I am doing something wrong.

I know something is wrong citing the very evidence that "WIL" provided. About a billion folks reload .44-40 successfully every day of the week.

I loaded 50 with very little crimp and fifty with a bit heavier crimp. Three of the tight crimped rounds have the mouth very slightly damaged.

I am shooting these in a 66 Winchester clone and I think they will go through the action. May even fire form back to health.
Old May 24, 2014, 10:50 AM   #4
WIL TERRY

DOC, WITH ANY OF THE BOTTLENECK PISTOL CARTRIDGES use the LEE FCD I mentioned. I consider it to be mandatory with all of 'em, the 32-20, 38-40, and the 44-40, and quite literally I've yet to ever lose a case with this die. Brass used includes W-W, R-P, and STARLINE. If you're gonna buy new 44-40 brass by the STARLINE as it is an ever so slighyly teeny lil bit thicker. IF you ever buy new 44-40 dies for use with lead bullets the REDDINGS are superb, but for jacketed 44-40 bullets the regular RCBS 44-40 dies are preferred by me for the bullet seating.
I load for six 44-40 pistols, four SA and two DA, plus one 44-40 UB' '73 carbine. All of 'em shoot to beat the band with the same loads.
And so it goes...
Old May 24, 2014, 11:10 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

WIL

One thing I don't have is the FCD.

I am using the die which came with the three die set.

I'll bet that would solve my problems.

I am using a relatively hard cast bullet (BHN12 to 14). I size it to .429 with the Lyman 45 Lube Sizer die. That size is near the top of the size range for .44-40. I will only use these rounds in a Winchester clone as I have said. (I did not slug the bore) and I only load BP or subs.

I have fifty factory smokeless reloads using Starline brass. The ones I reloaded myself are all Winchester.

So with the combination of: a) a harder bullet, that may be a tiny bit large and b) trying to seat and crimp in the same step, I could have found the source of my issues.
Old May 25, 2014, 06:17 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

I forgot to ask.....

Is there any reason to try to crimp the case heavily? It is going through a lever gun. Is a heavy crimp needed to prevent movement of the bullet in the case as it makes its way down the magazine and into the chamber?

Tnx,
Old May 25, 2014, 08:39 AM   #7
stubbicatt

Are you trimming all your brass to the same length? I have found that with such traditional rimmed cartridges, if trimmed to a uniform depth, and cast bullets, the Redding profile crimp is a better arrangement than the Lee FCD. I like the FCD with jacketed bullets, as I think in that application it is a better deal.

For cast bullets I have obtained better accuracy with the profile crimp, crimped into the groove cast into the bullet as it should. But to work well the cases need to be of uniform length.
Old May 25, 2014, 09:27 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

I am getting...

Consistent OAL.

I did not check all of the cases and can't correlate longer cases with deformation.

Be a good thing to check after I shoot them.
Old May 25, 2014, 09:40 AM   #9
salvadore

Hey Doc, I faintly remember a Ventarino(sp) article commenting on bottle neck cartridges without a crimp groove like the 42728 were ddesigned without the groove because the case was filled with BP and helped support the bullet from sliding further into the case.
Old May 25, 2014, 09:56 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

Hmmmm.

The bullet does sit right on top of the powder.

Goex was compressed slightly.

I suppose I might cycle a coupla round through the action and see is LOA changes any.
Old May 25, 2014, 05:00 PM   #11
Doc Hoy

Partial answert to my question

.44-40 with a crimp got consistently 1350 and 1400 fps

Without a crimp it was right a 1150. I had some smokeless commercial reloads which were all below 1100 fps. Accuracy of the smokeless reloads was not up to the accuracy of mine.

BUT

After about fifty rounds the accuracy went to crap. I think when I get to cleaning it, I will find that the bore is leaded.

There is more to learn about this rifle.

I have not slugged the bore. I am shooting a .429 LRN bullet.

I don't need 1400 fps, so I may down load the cartridge and reduce leading. (If that is the problem with accuracy)