The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2013, 07:42 PM   #1
M1ke10191

Rounds getting stuck in AR chamber

I reload for my AR and I'm sure this is a sizing issue but here we go.

I load a mag, rack the action, round chambers (at least appears to without looking at the right side of the gun). Click. Nothing. I go to extract the round and my action is gummed up. With heavy force on the charging handle I can pop it out. I haven't had to do anything crazy like stomp on the handle, luckily.

The brass is always measured to be below max length so I know it's not a trimming problem. If this is a sizing issue, should I simply screw the die further down? Is there anything to watch out for as I'm doing this?

I should add that I don't neck size. I'm not educated enough in the differences and benefits of the two so I just FL size all my cases for all calibers.
Old September 29, 2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Kimber84

Rounds getting stuck in AR chamber

I would try running the die down more. If you're not going down far enough to bump the shoulder back then this may be holding the bolt from closing completely. Sounds like its seating against the shoulder prior to the bolt fully rotating into place. When the bolt is closed generally there should be .003-.005 thousandths headspace clearance.

Have you try it with an empty resized case just to verify its nothing to do with the bullet?
Old September 29, 2013, 08:16 PM   #3
M1ke10191

No I haven't but that's a good idea. I'll definitely check that out. I also should probably pick up a headspace gauge before shooting the rifle again.
Old September 29, 2013, 08:20 PM   #4
oldpapps

Another possibility could be....

Do you 'crimp'? Intentionally or not, the neck can be setting back just enough to swell the case at the shoulder.

I don't crimp. Try backing your seating die out a little for a couple of loads to see.

Load with care,

OSOK
Old September 29, 2013, 08:20 PM   #5
mjes92

Get a Dillon Case gage. I have never had a sizing issue since I purchased one.
NRA - Life Member
Old September 29, 2013, 08:34 PM   #6
M1ke10191

The way my seating die is set up there shouldn't be any crimping. I've considered crimping but since my loads are plenty accurate, I figured why tweak something that works well.

Does their case gauge also check trim lengths?
Old September 29, 2013, 09:00 PM   #7
iraiam

Quote:
Get a Dillon Case gage. I have never had a sizing issue since I purchased one.
+1 on the Dillon case gauge, it will also check if the case needs trimmed, and if the case will fit the chamber at the base. or the Hornaday case length gauge, which will only check length of the case from the 0.330" diameter (for 223) part of the shoulder to the base of the case.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old September 29, 2013, 09:15 PM   #8
jepp2

Quote:
I also should probably pick up a headspace gauge before shooting the rifle again.
The cartridge gage will be much more useful to you than a headspace gage.

Another very good check. Take a sized round (don't need to prime it) and with your upper open and the bolt back, slide the round into the chamber. For a properly sized round, the bolt will slide forward and lock up with light finger pressure on the back of the BCG. Best to do with just brass, not loaded rounds.

As little a few thousandths will keep the bolt from locking up. And when the bolt gets caught half way like yours, with rearward pressure on the charging handled, bump the butt stock of the rifle against something solid. It will eject the round with much less force on the charging handle.

Don't ask me how I know
Old September 29, 2013, 11:46 PM   #9
HiBC

"The way my sizing die is set up,there shouldn't be any crimping"

Maybe so.

But,if they are standard reloading dies,the seater has a crimp function built in.

If you are setting up your die by touching it to the shellholder,you are probably forcing your round into the crimp function.With out a cannelure,not much place for a crimp to go,so the neck gets forced back a little,The shoulder collapses a little,and the diameter at the shoulder gets a little larger.Then,it wedges tight into the tapered chamber.

Look close at all that,measure the dia at the case shoulder before and after you seat.
Old September 30, 2013, 02:16 AM   #10
Jimro

Are you reloading once fired military brass?

If turning the sizing die and totally eliminating crimp doesn't fix the problem, you might try a small base sizing die.

Jimro