The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 15, 2013, 07:09 PM   #1
jake99

No PA sales to NJ residents.

When did that happen? Went to Walmart today and the NICS system said no sales to NJ residents. I had the clerk go through some of the other states and they could sell to almost every other, FL was out too. Is this the feds telling a state who they can sell to? I called yesterday and they said no problem.. must've just changed.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:18 PM   #2
thallub

Quote:
Is this the feds telling a state who they can sell to?
No. Its some kind of agreement between the states. A few years ago an NV gun dealer could not sell any gun to a resident of OK. Some Wal-Marts have a list of states whose residents they can sell guns to.

Last edited by thallub; March 15, 2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Nickel Plated

Weird, didn't know there were any agreements when it came to just selling guns between states. For handguns it's illegal ofcourse by federal law, but didn't know there were any state-level restrictions on long guns.

You sure it's not some NJ law that prohibits you from buying guns directly out of state and the Wall Mart is trying to cover their ass even if you were to tell them the gun will not go into NJ or yada yada
Old March 15, 2013, 08:23 PM   #4
press1280

Yea, not sure about that. Last I checked at my Walmart (in WV), NJ residents were good to go.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:25 AM   #5
jake99

I think Nickle Plated has it, NJ doesn't want it happening, so they shut down the NICS for out of state somehow..
Old March 16, 2013, 10:58 PM   #6
North East Redneck

Here in MA, people from other states can't even buy ammo. Nevermind a gun.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:09 PM   #7
war_elephant

Jake, did you try to purchase and were denied, or did you look and see the placard on the counter next to the register that says no NJ sales. The placard used to refer to semi autos or something like that. I have not seen one in quite some time. It could also be a ruling from the new PA Atty Gen who is anti gun. Same as the ruling that non resident fla permits were not valid in PA any longer.
Hmmmm.....
Old March 18, 2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Willie Sutton

^^^

It might be a law, it might be policy. Here's why:

Federal Law requires a FFL seller conducting a sale to an out of state resident to comply with Federal Law and the state laws of BOTH the state where the sale takes place AND the state of the buyers residence.

Example: I was a NJ Resident with a NJ FID. I travel to Maryland and see a Saiga Shotgun at the LGS near the base where I am flying. Pull out FID and DL and say "I'll take it". NJ State says that the Saiga is just fine to own there, and the BATFE says I can buy a long gun out of state. BUT! Maryland has a special category for "Scary Guns" and the Saiga is a "Scary Gun" and according to Maryland Law you cannot sell a "Scary Gun" to an out of state resident. So..... no sale (sigh). The good news is that sitting next to the Saiga is a Remington 7600P Police Carbine in .308, and I took that instead. NJ FID met NJ State Reqs, BATFE is OK with a long gun sale, and MD law is OK with selling me a pump action rifle. Took it home. Go figure.

So: The Matrix of possibilities is very complex and some FFL's just make it easy by saying "no". Can't blame them. I suspect in the case you cite that it was just incompetence. I bought many rifles in PA using my NJ FID over the years. Dunkelbergers and Manhardts in Stroudsburg were regular stops.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; March 18, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:45 AM   #9
RedBowTies88

I've bought guns from both walmart and cabelas. Although ill admit that its been about a year since I did.

I absolutely will not purchase long guns in this state unless its a private sale. I don't want NJ knowing what I have if there's any way I can help it.

also, pa doens't use NICS that have their own state run syatem.
Old March 18, 2013, 11:33 AM   #10
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBowTies88
also, pa doens't use NICS that have their own state run syatem.
That's not quite true.

Pa uses a system called "PICS" which is run by the PA State Police. They use NICS and, I'm told, other resources at their disposal to process the check.

I'm not sure how it would work for one not a resident of PA, but for a PA resident they just enter your drivers license ID number and that is what is run.
Old March 18, 2013, 12:25 PM   #11
RedBowTies88

Quote:
That's not quite true.

Pa uses a system called "PICS" which is run by the PA State Police. They use NICS and, I'm told, other resources at their disposal to process the check.

I'm not sure how it would work for one not a resident of PA, but for a PA resident they just enter your drivers license ID number and that is what is run.
Same for out of state people like myself, took my basic info and in no time at all got the OK from PICS.

Its 1000X better then NJ's system...cheaper as well. we get charger $15 here then need to wait anywhere from 15 minutes to 6 weeks for an answer