The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 4, 2013, 07:09 PM   #1
C5rider

Top Break H & R in my future?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've gotten a wild hair to pick up a nice top-break revolver. I've done some scouring of the 'net and found many examples of fine-working revolvers that have some wear or pitting.

I really dig the longer barrels and I'd like to get it in 32 or 38 caliber. I've looked at the Uberti guns ($$$) and then I found this one on GB.

I've purchased guns on a whim before and I've been lucky a few times. But, I'd much rather make an informed decision before I jump in with both feet. The fact that these guns are over 100 years old means that they most likely aren't going to rust away before I can find one that suits me.

I'm welcoming any and all info (about this one or what to look for) so that when the time comes, I'll feel more confident in the purchase, having both eyes open.

The cost of this one is higher than many of the others. Is it a "rare" gun as noted? Like I said, I like the longer barrel and, I like the exposed hammer. The gun won't be a CCW or shot often, but it will be required to shoot. I do like a nice looking gun as well.

thanks for any help and direction/websites that may help me in making an INFORMED decision.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:45 PM   #2
McShooty

This is a very nice example of an H&R top break and the long barrel is much less common than a 3.25" bbl on this revolver. The marking "32 S&W Ctg" on the left side of the barrel indicates it can fire smokeless powder loads. It was manufactured some time after 1900 so it would not be classified as an antique. You will find that it is chambered for the .32 S&W Long cartridge and it can fire both the Long and the shorter .32 S&W cartridge. It is usually safe to fire factory loads in these guns. It looks to be in excellent condition, and may, in fact, be worth nearly the $425 asking price. I probably would not pay that for it because that is close to what one could get a stronger, side swing .32 for, say, a Colt Police Positive or an S&W Hand ejector.

If you look at the cylinder you will see that the cylinder stops are simple flutes. There is no actual notch to positively capture the cylinder stop bolt as there is on a Colt or S&W. For this reason, old H&Rs are often a bit sloppy in cylinder alignment, especially when operated in single action mode. When I fire my old H&Rs single action I nudge the cylinder after cocking to make sure the cylinder flute is firm against the stop. Then I know the chamber and barrel are aligned and firing will be fine. Of, course, a gun in fine condition will not need this attention. Other than this, the top break H&R are actually pretty well made arms.
Old February 8, 2013, 06:11 AM   #3
PetahW

FWIW, Before I bid on that particular gun, I'd surely want to know exactly WHERE the "hairline crack", that the seller disclosed, is located - since he effectively didn't specify (the disclosure sentence only said that "it" has a hairline crack, period.).

If the crack's in the grip, is one thing - but if it's in the frame, IMHO it's a deal-breaker at any price.

Last edited by PetahW; February 8, 2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:28 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

That gun would, IMHO, gladden the heart of an H&R collector, but it leaves a lot to be desired as a practical gun. The comments by McShooty are right on and should be considered seriously.

I think the "hairline crack" comment applied to the grips, but PetahW is right, you should get that straightened out.

Jim
Old February 10, 2013, 11:00 PM   #5
RJay

IMHO, I also feel, even as a collectors item, it is at least 150 over priced.
Old February 11, 2013, 01:18 PM   #6
bop

I'm with you Rjay. And all the above. Nice looking revolver but well above the real value. I'd do a little more looking before laying out that kind of cash. Seems like these old breaktops are going through the roof since Nov.2012.
Old February 11, 2013, 01:25 PM   #7
C5rider

Thanks for the insights. I'm more for the "classics" than my brother (Mr. Tactical), but even these ol' top breaks are more "vintage" than I'm accustomed to. I do see picking one up when I find the right one. All of this information helps me to know exactly when I do find it.

Thanks again.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:53 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sorry, I didn't look at the price. Someone thinks that gun is worth a lot more than it is, but perhaps they will get it.

Jim