The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 17, 2012, 10:46 PM   #26
arizona98tj

Why run a P-Mag???? Geez...that is an easy question to answer.

We all know that the end of the world will come when we run steel cased ammo in an AR-15 because of the extreme wear factor on the extractor.

Obviously, the same end of the world thing will happen if you run metal magazines in your AR-15 receiver. It will wear our your lower big time.

In the end, you'll just have a pile of worn out lowers and extractors.
Old March 18, 2012, 05:40 PM   #27
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPowderkeg View Post
will someone please tell me why "P-Mags" are so great ?

"P" means Plastic right ??

what is wrong with the aluminum mags we all have been using for years ?
Seems like a loaded question, almost inferring that you don't like PMags for whatever reason.

That said, PMags are a well made magazine, and they are absolutely suitable for extreme use in the AR-15/M4 family of weapons. PMags are made of polymer (plastic), but them are pretty darn tough. I've run my through hot and cold weather, they've been exposed to mud, sand, and rain, and they continue to function.

The anti-tilt follower is an added bonus. I've never had issues with the green follower in standard GI mags, but an additional safe guard against follower tilt isn't a bad thing. Personally, I like the PMag, but if it comes to down to a good USGI mag, and a PMag, I'll buy the USGI. For USGI mags, I like these; NHMTG Magazine w/ Magpul Follower.

What it boils down to is personal preference. As long as you use well made magazines, you shouldn't have any trouble with them (provided they're being used in a well-made gun).
Old March 18, 2012, 11:31 PM   #28
Justice06RR

I've always liked Pmags compared to the GI mags. they just seem to feel much better built and feel high quality. I'm sure there are nothing wrong with GI mags, I just don't really care for those.
Old March 19, 2012, 01:33 AM   #29
Willie Lowman

The only thing I can say for Pmags are they are easy to take apart and clean.
Old March 19, 2012, 08:55 PM   #30
insomni

Quote:
-They look cool and can be color coordinated with your Mag-pul furniture. (There are some people that really worry about this)
this made me laugh so had I almost choked on the water i was drinking, since I just accused a friend of mine of "playing Barbies" with his tricked out M4, concerned that everything be dark earth (the comment arose from him balking at having to use one of my OD Green PMags in his sexy gun instead of black or dark earth). In his defense, his M4 does look really cool
Old March 19, 2012, 09:25 PM   #31
berettaprofessor

MagPul furniture? The ultimate is my MagPul iPhone case. $10 and its perfect for the iphone4
Old March 20, 2012, 08:36 AM   #32
johnwilliamson062

It is hard, at least for me to pick up a used aluminum mag and have a good idea if it will function(small bends and such). As previous noted, unless the P-mag is visibly damaged, it is likely going to function fine.

A lot of things far less than a truck running over an aluminum mag will make them entirely unreliable. Dropping an aluminum mag on a feed lip for instance. Good bye reliability until you have ten minutes and a pair of pliers to tweak it.

I used them in my AR before I sold it. Very happy with them.
Old March 20, 2012, 10:27 AM   #33
tulsamal

Quote:
what is wrong with the aluminum mags we all have been using for years ?
My secondary duty assignment with HHB, 1/62 ADA, 25th ID (Light), Schofield Barracks back in 85-89 was Unit Armorer. And if I had a soldier bring an M16 to me with any kind of failure to feed issues, I went straight to the magazine. Before we did anything else.... here try another one. Most of the time, the rifle would happily start to run. And I would hit the offending magazine a couple of times with a hammer (to make sure nobody "rescued it") and throw it in the trash.

The US Army was bad about their metal mags in the 80's. Don't know about now. But back then they hung on to the darn things forever. Seemed like we still had some that had been used for training troops heading to Vietnam. And those mags had originally been designed to be expendable items. "At some point" you were supposed to throw them away and get new ones. But what actually happened was one mag would start to cause malfunctions, the soldier would realize it and switch it out, but then he would turn it back in to the arms room. Maybe he would say something, maybe he wouldn't. Either way, it would probably just go back in the general issue pile. Drove me crazy. It was my mission to destroy every bad one I could identify. I would have been absolutely THRILLED to have been issued brand new PMAG's for my unit. Brand new mags of any kind really!

Gregg
Old March 20, 2012, 12:26 PM   #34
newfrontier45

Quote:
They look cool and can be color coordinated with your Mag-pul furniture. (There are some people that really worry about this).....this made me laugh so had I almost choked on the water i was drinking, since I just accused a friend of mine of "playing Barbies" with his tricked out M4, concerned that everything be dark earth (the comment arose from him balking at having to use one of my OD Green PMags in his sexy gun instead of black or dark earth). In his defense, his M4 does look really cool
I use them because they work and they look cool. The macho "guns are tools" crowd can puff up and say whatever they want about color coordinating their rifle, looks to me like the guys in the sandbox are doing everything they can to break up the solid black of their M4's. Get over yourselves, most of us wouldn't own an AR if it didn't look "cool".