The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 15, 2010, 09:36 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

Chrome & Silver Plating - suggestions, experiences, advice ???

In one of the other threads, a couple of fellows mentioned that they have "plated" triggerguards, etc. One said he got a solution off of eBay that worked well, another used I believe "electroplating". It got me to thinking . . . I'd like to silverplate the brass grip frame and triggerguard of my '61 Colt Navy. But, I don't know a whole lot about the available processes as to what works best, etc. We used to have some plating companies in a city near us but I think they have pretty much closed up. Yeas ago I had some ice box hinges "rechromed" but I remember that it turned out to be quite a heavy coat (mill thickness wise). Maybe some of you who have done this could give us your experiences as to what you did, what products you used, how it worked and if the completed plating was satisfactory and does it hold up. I imagine that I am probably thinking of "nickle" plating (as opposed to "chrome") and "silver" plating.

I also have a question about brass frames. If you sent a brass frame out to be chrome (or silver) plated (or "electro-plated" it yourself), what about the screwholes/threads. Do you have to "plug" these in some manner or do you have to rethread/freshen them out after the plating process? Any other things to look out for if you have a frame plated? What sort of equipment would be needed to "electro plate" frames, triggerguards, etc. - what I consider "smaller" parts, at home?

Many thanks to those willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

Sincderely, Bedbug
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 15, 2010, 09:51 PM   #2
DustyBottoms

I just responded to your post in the other thread, bug, but I'll put it in here, too.
I found this earlier this evening:

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/plugnplate.htm#

Haven't tried it, but for little things like Colt frames and screws and triggerguards and stuff, it seems ideal.
Bonds to steel and brass, so it's all you have to buy.

I'm gonna try it.
Old April 15, 2010, 10:48 PM   #3
ebr-lvr

Looks very promising Dusty Bottoms. I'm gonna try that too.
Many Thanks, ebr

When a deadly situation presents,One will not "rise to the occasion" but will " default to his highest level of training"
Old April 16, 2010, 08:42 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

I have gathered together everything I need for electroless nickle with the Caswell kit. Just need to have a free day and the inclination at the same time.

After talking to several people that are doing small gun and other metal parts, preparation is 99.9% of getting good results. Caswell sells a parts cleaner that has been recommended by everyone I talked to. You boil your part in this cleaner, rinse in pure water then straight to the plating tank. Using pure water is very important, so buy distilled or use a RO filter system.
Old April 17, 2010, 09:24 PM   #5
DustyBottoms

Let us know how it turns out, MCB.