The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 7, 2010, 06:21 AM   #1
3rdDragoon

I had a great day at the range......

Well I guess any day at the range is better than one at work. I finally got to shoot my CVA Hawken and found it the most fun I've had in a while. 60gr ffg and RB gave no recoil and spot on accuracy.

Also got to shoot some guns I have only read about - original Springfield Trapdoor .45-70, Sharps .45-70, Ruger Vaquero and Blackhawk.

Getting to the range you seem to meet some great people and see alot of great guns.

Anyone else had a simliar experience??

Perhaps next time I'll see an original Luger..................
Old March 7, 2010, 08:58 AM   #2
Delmar

Quote:
I had a great day at the range......
I love hearing that!
and while I didn't get to the range yesterday, I did meet up with a few of the guys from one of the gun forums and went to breakfast before the Fort Wayne Gun Show. Not real big on gun shows but it turns out to be a lot more fun when you go with a group of guys. This time I actually found a pretty good deal! I got some of those zip up soft cases 3 for $12. Even figuring in the $6 admission it came out to $6 each, which I don't think is bad.
Old March 7, 2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Chris_B

Tell us about the Trapdoor. My Pop has one that we shoot every July 4
Old March 7, 2010, 07:54 PM   #4
riggins_83

I didn't shoot anybody elses guns at the range today (just my two Bushmasters)... a couple years ago I got to shoot a full auto UZI at the range (we have a class 3 dealer in town).
Old March 7, 2010, 10:49 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

Sounds like you had a great day at the range! It's nice when you get to see what other folks have and they invite you to shoot them. I don't shoot at a range but have had nice experiences like that in years past while at the Nationals at Friendship. When I was about 13, I had a friend who took me under his wing and got me in to shooting NSSA. We're talking almost 45 years ago and at that time, a lot of the fellows were shooting originals. I got to shoot original Mississippi Rifles, '55, '61 and '63 Springfields as well as an original Smith, Spencer and Sharps. For a kid, that was a big thrill and I still have many fond memories of it. At an NSSA shoot near my home, my friend had a good friend who brought his original Gatling gun to put on a demonstration. We set up 6 five gallon metal containers filled with water for the target. I was thrilled just to think that I was going to be able to watch an original Gatling gun shoot. When he got ready to do the demonstration, he called me over and told me that he was going to sight it and I was going to crank it. I'll never forget what a thrill that was to crank the rounds off and watch the water spurt out of the 5 gallon buckets as the slugs ripped through them. I felt about ten feet tall! In later years, I started shooting NSSA again and graduated to shooting 10 pound Parott Rifles as well as several other cannons and at one shoot, was able to be on the crew for an original Civil War Siege Mortor. I don't shoot NSSA anymore but still shoot flintlock and percussion rifle as well as BP revolvers. I don't think anything will ever surpass the thrill I had though when I cranked that Gatling gun. It's nice to hear stories about others sharing the experience of shooting their guns with someone who has never had the opportunity to shoot or handle a particular model. That's what it is all about and that is what makes this hobby such an enjoyable one! I'm sure that each and everyone of us has a "story" to tell about when someone let us shoot a blackpowder firearm for the first time . . . . and who can forget the smell of the burnt powder and how it stirred something within us to want more . . . . just a simple act of kindness like that from someone has lead most of us into a hobby that will provide us with a lifetime of fun and enjoyment. And like I said, "that's what it is all about!" Safe shooting and lots of new adventures to everyone!
Old March 8, 2010, 05:02 AM   #6
3rdDragoon

Well said!

I have to admit I also get a kick out of seeing other people shoot different guns for the first time. A while back I took my 3rd Model Dragoon to an indoor range and showed a couple of friends. They had never heard of or seen a cap n ball revolver before. The first question was something like, "how do you open the cylinder"? And when they fired a shot I had never seen them laugh so hard. Introducing others to different firearms no only makes friends, but also increases knowledge and understanding.

I suppose we can all remember when we first shot a particluar gun. Some that stick in my mind are: S&W Model 29 .44 8 inch (damn it Callaghan that's the mayor you're talkin' to!!) 1861 Springfield, and of course a Winchester Model 70 in .300 WSM (my shoulder can still feel that one!)