The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 8, 2009, 03:42 PM   #1
NAB

Taurus Judge

I'm sure this has been on this site before but I'm new too it so I'm going to ask again.

I'm sold on the 3 inch chamber. Would you go with the regular or magnum version of the gun?

Pros vs cons to any of you that have had it. Had a buddy that has it, etc.
Old May 8, 2009, 04:41 PM   #2
tblt44

I would not buy that gun.I know of a guy that the gun came apart on him.
2 shots then it went back to taurus
Old May 8, 2009, 05:23 PM   #3
azredhawk44

My closest experience with this... thing... is hearing a story in a gun store. The customer had bought one, shot some .410 shotshell rounds from it and the plastic from the shell opened and stretched past the cylinder and into the forcing cone. Tied the gun up.

It lacks the accuracy of a shotgun to the point that it lacks meaningful pattern past 25 feet.

It lacks the accuracy of a .44/.45 wheelgun to the point that 25 meter pistol targets look like a 12ga buckshot load from a shotgun.

It doesn't kill snakes any better than a .44/.45 wheelgun with CCI shotshells.

As a curiosity, I can see some point for having it gathering dust at the back of the safe. As a defensive gun? Meh. Not impressed.
Old May 8, 2009, 05:59 PM   #4
Sevens

I agree wholeheartedly. The entire purpose of this revolver is to take out to the range and have your buddies go, "Wow, that should be some fun!"

I'd even be willing to bet that it would be some fun, for a while. But it doesn't do anything well. A normal revolver in .45 Colt beats it in every possible direction.

I applaud Taurus for trying to bring something entirely new and different to the market. Obviously, this revolver sells, because I've seen plenty of places carrying them new and used and the stock turns over.

So my answer to the OP is to go with whichever one your buddy wants, and then put a few rounds through HIS, and point your dough toward most anything else that does at least one job well.

And you are correct, it has come up on this site before. And I'm not even trying to come off rude and tell you that we shouldn't discuss it again... that's really all that we do here, discuss the same stuff over again! But I will suggest that if you try the search engine, you may find a heap of discussion that has already happened and you might pick up some good info... certainly something that helps you more than my post!
Old May 8, 2009, 06:33 PM   #5
srt 10 jimbo

I got 2 buddies that bought em, they love em.
Old May 8, 2009, 06:42 PM   #6
SPUSCG

Id suggest you buy a gun that has a purpose
Old May 9, 2009, 08:49 AM   #7
shortwave

With all due respect, I would suggest taking info(good or bad) from actual owners of "the Judge".
Old May 9, 2009, 10:00 AM   #8
Piper Cub

Don't ask on this site as lots of stupid mall ninjas and anti-gun posters.
Go to a taurus Board.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php
Old May 9, 2009, 10:32 AM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

Since the Judge issue has been beaten to death in a lot of threads - sorry you are new but use the search function.

Also, these threads tend to go down hill quickly as I see and since I'm the only one on board.

Here come the Judge! Closed!