The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 20, 2006, 04:15 PM   #1
atlctyslkr

Snub Nose Ballistics

Does anyone have any good links to ballistics for revolvers in the 2" neighborhood? I've read most of the charts of major manufacturers of defensive ammo and they all have their charts based on atleast 4". With all this talk on snub nose revolvers on here lately I would like to get an idea of just how much of the velocity and energy that is advertised is lost with the shorter barrel. Gold Dot is now marketing ammo secifically for short barrels. Is there any worth to that?

I've seen posts that say yes it does matter or no it doesn't. Somehow I doubt the laws of physics support the no it doesn't arguement but I'm open minded. Show me a chart or something I can read.

Thanks for any and all help.
Old March 22, 2006, 09:16 PM   #2
atlctyslkr

Thanks for the point in the right direction. Hate to sound stupid but I didn't find the specific area on the site that you were speaking of. I did a search on there but didn't find any posts that looked like what I was looking for. If you could please point me to a specific spot. Thanks so much.
Old March 23, 2006, 08:47 AM   #3
MADISON

Snub Nose Ballistics

Here are a few facts about "Snub Nose Ballistics" to consider:
[1] You have somewhere between 30/70 feet per second from the published velocity.
[2] Most reloading manuals use either 6 inch or 8 3/8 inch barrels.
[3] It is unknow what a FACTORY BALLISTIC was shot with.
[4] If shot with a real gun the loss is about 30 fps. If shot through a UNIVERSAL RECEIVER the loss is about 70 fps.
Old March 23, 2006, 09:14 PM   #4
boing

It's the "Terminal Effects" forum.

Some relevant threads:

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bi...=000909#000003

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bi...;f=78;t=000963

A patient search in that forum should return some more useful discussions. Have a look around.
Old March 24, 2006, 07:53 AM   #5
eme

If you go to Speer web and look up their short barrel rounds, you can get a "fairly" true FPS from a 2" snub nose. The 38+p round is suppose to get around 850-880 FPS from a 2" barrel and the 357 is suppose to get 990 FPS from a 2" barrel with both bullets using a 135 grain HP. Again, these 135 grain HP are suppose to open at lower FPS than normal ones. The ones I've shot out of a SP101 2 1/8" barrel mushroom extremely well in water jugs. You will have to try them with your choice to see if they are good for you. Good luck in your quest.
Old March 24, 2006, 08:03 PM   #6
Ichiro

Check out www.stoppingpower.net and their Test Bed.

~Ichiro
Old March 26, 2006, 12:29 AM   #7
Mitchell

I heard that the corbon 110 gr +p round expands well out of a snubby. But I can't remember the ballistics on it