The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 9, 2005, 11:55 AM   #26
lr60pilot

Quote:
Well, Pilot, . . . do you read the newspapers? If the daily "Blabber" in your area is not enough persuasion to get you to seek your concealed carry license, . . . then you must have a lot more faith in your police, fellow man, and your ability to run than I have.

I can't run (too old you know), . . . LEO's here are about 30 minutes away, . . . and my faith is in my Lord, my abilities, and my .45, . . . in that order.

May God bless,
Dwight
I wasn't asking because I needed persuasion. I was just curious if there were reasons other than personal protection. I am pro-gun and pro-CCW and hope to get my permit in January '06. Thanks for all the tips, reasons, etc. Stay safe!
Old December 9, 2005, 12:17 PM   #27
Holly76201

So many replies were "Because I can". That's what I told my Mother when I was packing for a trip. I was taking 3 handguns and she asked me why I was taking so many. Like any good craftsman, you need the right tool for the job, so a .45 for under the pillow at night, a Hi-Power for the holster, and a Keltec P-11 for the pocket or purse.

And like so many others in this thread, I refuse to be a victim. I was a Parole officer for sex offenders and I KNOW they aren't gonna change their ways.

My mindset changed from neutral to pro-gun when I became a Mother. I guess I wanted to be a Tigress with teeth.

I hope you get a CHL and learn to handle your weapon(s) safely and effectively at all times.

The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed tomaintain its sovereigncontrol over its government.
FDR, Fireside chat, 4-14-38
Old December 9, 2005, 12:19 PM   #28
USP45usp

Paintballer:

Quote:
How hard is it to get the CCW in Oregon?
Since you live in Washington, the Oregon Permit is May Issue for you. DON'T go to Portland (the county) because the sheriff is also anti-gun and won't issue to non-residents. I've heard that Washington Co. is pro-gun and pro-non resident permit issue.

Goto http://oregonfirearms.org/ and look through the FAQ and email Kevin, he will get back with you on which Co. are Non-Resident Friendly.

For Residents, as long as you don't have any disqualifiers (you also can't have had a misdemeanor in the last four years) then it's a Shall Issue State and here in Lane Co. at least it's very easy, fast, and friendly .

Wayne
Old December 9, 2005, 01:07 PM   #29
Paintballer

Thanks! I am hoping to do that after I get my Clark County CCW. Maybe that will make thing easier?
Old December 9, 2005, 02:00 PM   #30
Javelin Man

reasons for CCW

I have two good reasons for CCW: Christy is 13 and little Amy is 2 1/2. I don't think I can make any better statement of purpose than that.

My responsibility as a parent is to protect them and this is just another method of protection.
Old December 9, 2005, 02:48 PM   #31
38SnubFan

Why I carry

My reasons for carry are simple:

1. I can't afford to have a police officer/armed guard outside my door or with me at all times.

2. I live in the Middle Of Nowhere. Police response is about 10 minutes. I could be dead in 10 seconds.

3. I've already been a victim of Assault, Rape (yes, I'm a guy, and was raped by another guy), Harassment and Intimidation. My life has been threatened in the past. Oleg Volk puts it best: NEVER AGAIN!

4. It's my legal right to do, and my moral obligation to protect myself, my family and loved ones, or anyone else in that dire time of need. That is an oath I have sworn before God Almighty.

5. There are 80,000,000 gun owners in the United States. On the same token, there are over 2,000,000 defensive uses of a firearm (not including uses by Military or Law Enforcement) per year in this country. That puts the odds at about 1 in 40 that I would need to use my weapon to stop an attack of keep it from happening. To some, those odds may be dealable enough for them not to carry a firearm. To me, those odds are just a little too close for comfort. I'd rather have the odds in my favor.

Along with this, all the other reasons stated by previous posters here, and I'm sure some from future posters that just haven't come to mind yet.

Stay Safe,
38SnubFan

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -A token of appreciation for the good cops.

"Good cheer and steady aim are always fashionable."

"Will...if need be!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΑΛΒΕ!
Old December 9, 2005, 03:32 PM   #32
Ares45

Here's a few more good reasons:

According to DOJ statistics 94-04

Violent crime (Rape, Robbery, Agr. Assault, Simple Assault, Homicide)
33 acts per 1,000 pop (over the age of 12) Annual Average for 94-04'
= 3.3% chance it could be my turn this year ,or
= 16.5% chance it will happen to an immediate family member this year

Property crime (Burglary, Theft, Motor Vehicle Theft)
214 acts per 1,000 pop (over the age of 12) Annual Average for 94-04'
=21.4% chance it could be my turn this year, or
=107% chance it will happen to an immediate family member this year

Source: DOJ Crime and Victims Statistics
Old December 9, 2005, 04:30 PM   #33
jcoiii

I carry because there are bad people out there and there is an infinitessimal chance that they might attempt to hurt me or the ones I care about.

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old December 11, 2005, 12:52 AM   #34
Walter

I survived two tours of duty in VietNam in a Marine rifle company.
I had no intention of coming back to this country and falling victim to
some drugged-out punk with a gun or a knife.
I had a 1911 .45 within reach almost all the time, long before "concealed
carry" became legal.
Now that "concealed-carry" is legal, I never leave home without it.

Walter
Old December 11, 2005, 10:20 AM   #35
Mannlicher

ir60pilot, if you have to ask this question, you are probably not in the right place.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 12, 2005, 05:41 PM   #36
czc3513

I thaught about starting a thread like this too.
There are probably other "Why do you carry?" threads.
I am pro gun and pro carry.
I carry because I can and because people dont want me to.
Old December 12, 2005, 06:51 PM   #37
Geoff Timm

Because the Florida law requires you to have a CCW, if you are going to drive past a school or walk through the parking lot of a condo with a weapon locked in a case or gunbox.

Heck of a note, but it may or may not be true, depending on a "Test Case."

Rule No. 1 of Litigation, NEVER be a test case.

Besides, it skips the 4 day waiting period in Florida.

Geoff
Who also notes keeping one's sidearm concealed prevents freaking the Yankee neighbors in the aftermath of a hurricane.
Old December 13, 2005, 04:26 AM   #38
crashresidue

This has been one of the most entertaining threads I've read in YEARS!

I was gonna "ping" gddyup about his Mother and her anti-gun hatred - BUT I remembered my own confrontation with MY Mother about guns.

I was just home from my first tour in Nam (almost 19) and while I was away, there was a rape and a murder in our general neighborhood. Mother HATED guns! She always bitched about the .45 my father brought back from WWII and was always "on him" to get rid of it.

Well, I get home and the first night she's bitching again - but this time it's because the "gun" is too big for her to hold - much less shoot. She's now SCARED!

We're in Birmingham, so the next day, I drive down to Rucker and buy a Colt "Police Chief Special" in .38. It's a 5 shot snubby. I make her go out back and shoot a box before I let her keep it.

That night, after dinner, Mother and I are sitting around the table talking guns, self defense, and civilian tactics (shoot once and then RUN!). She asked about Nam and what I did and what I thought - this was something she really DIDN'T want to hear. I've NEVER been suttle - and was even worse then.

Anyway, after she quit blushing she asked if I remembered the last time she spanked me for fighting. Yep, that's one I'll not forget! She then asked if I remembered who told me about Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy? Yep - that'd be you Mom.

Then, looking me in the eye - she said that all she taught me about "violence accomplishing nothing", Santa, the Bunny, and the Fairy were lies. Mothers LIE. Then she stunned me - "We just don't know any better."

Last time I was back there, we were in the kitchen - and I asked her if she remembered where her gun was. With a LARGE smile, she reached into her appron - and showed it to me! She's in her 80's - don't TELL me only the good die younge!

Why do we carry? "Cause we MIGHT need it"!

Gentle winds,
cr
Old December 13, 2005, 04:39 AM   #39
accordingtome

I know commifornia blows when it comes to lots of things and a CCW is another example. i have some questions please

1.) what is the punishment for haveing a unloaded gun on your person in the state of commifornia? what about loaded?
2) what if any jobs allow you to carry when your not at work besides a LEO if your n the state of Commifornia?
3) I really want to carry and will do anything LEgal to do it.. i know i should move .
Old December 13, 2005, 02:33 PM   #40
miconoakisland

I carry 24/7 because I am horrible at making predictions! I will never know when I will need one of "my buddies" (one of my constant companions, ie. my firearms) to help me out of a situation.
When my number is up I want it to be after I did all I was supposed to do, not because I was unprepared.
I live in a very safe place but that doesn't mean bad things don't happen. Fire stations catch on fire, police stations get shot at, people die in hospitals. There are no 100% safe places to live. Whenever you read an article about a rare violent event one of the first things people say is "I never thought something like that could happen here!" Well, it does and it can.
I am responsible for my own safety. I won't ask someone else to defend me if I'm not willing to defend myself.
Never in my life have I ever felt that I needed a firearm to get out of a situation. But that doesn't mean "it'll never happen to me, not here".
Like so many before me have said, I have insurance on my vehicles, home and health, I have a fire EXTINGUISHER (for USP45USP! ) and lots of other "just in case" stuff.
Although I have never been a Boy Scout, I still heed their motto!
That's why I carry (in a nutshell, I could go on and on, but then nobody would read it).
Better to have than..........
Old December 13, 2005, 02:37 PM   #41
smince

BECAUSE I CAN!

My wife and I both CCW because it is our responsibility to take care of our family and ourselves, not the Govt or anyone else.
Old December 13, 2005, 03:21 PM   #42
rmagill

1) Because I can.
2) You never know when you may need a gun. I would hate to need a gun and not have it.
3) I read the news
4) I have worked with the general public and have seen first hand how people get violent over the most stupid things. It never hurts to be able to defend yourself from people that hate having rules enforced.
5) Because I can
Old December 17, 2005, 12:05 PM   #43
delta58

I read a good article written by a general once about sheep and sheepdogs. If I can find it again I will post it here. The bottom line is i'd rather be a sheepdog than a sheep. I second most of the reasons given here, if some scooped out punk tries to kill me for his next hit, or some freak comes into the mall with an ak, that's why I carry.