The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 6, 2005, 11:28 PM   #1
timothy75

No cover, stand or kneel?

In a gunfight with no escape and no cover would it be best to kneel and sacrifice mobility or shoot standing?
Old November 6, 2005, 11:41 PM   #2
Hard Ball

If you are actually in a gunfiight do not waste time! Shoot or move. Do not kneel.
Old November 6, 2005, 11:42 PM   #3
rugerdude

I would say kneel, because you get a more steady aim and you present a smaller target.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old November 7, 2005, 12:55 AM   #4
Pointer

Shoot as you move...

Move to your left because the perp is more likely to miss his target (you) to his left.

Shoot high and right (At his left shoulder) and your moving misses will have a better chance of "pulling or jerking" into the kill zone.
Old November 7, 2005, 01:02 AM   #5
model 25

Distance is your friend.

Old November 7, 2005, 01:05 AM   #6
bjmanersr

Forget kneeling

Move;always move-move-move
Old November 7, 2005, 01:11 AM   #7
Sir William

I like three choices. Drop and eat dirt, a band-aid boo-boo beats a hole. Move or roll then. Second is what I call the hot pavement hopscotch. You jump, hop, skip as you wish toward the shooter. Left, right, up and down while agressively closing the gap and acquiring a sight picture. The third is a simple modification of Isosceles. Turn and extend your stronghand with weapon to the shooter and acquire a sight picture. You present only one side and thus, less target.
Old November 7, 2005, 01:20 AM   #8
woodland

Quote:
Move to your left because the perp is more likely to miss his target (you) to his left.
Wouldn't moving to your left be moving to his right?
Old November 7, 2005, 01:26 AM   #9
model 25

Drop and eat dirt
Left, right, up and down while agressively closing the gap You jump, hop, skip as you wish toward the shooter

No offense intended here but when you drop and eat dirt so does you gun. For the rest of the movement I would like to see your practice routine to shoot straight will doing all that under fire. I know he said no escape but distance is still what you want.

If I was going to do something it would be to back away as quick as possible while holding, siteing and squeezing. Most people can't hit reliably past 21 feet with incomming fire and only a handgun much less while jumping up and down. If you can then you have my utmost respect as one shooter to another.

Again no offense intended just different view.

Old November 7, 2005, 01:33 AM   #10
stratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Ball
If you are actually in a gunfiight do not waste time! Shoot or move. Do not kneel.
+1

That's a solid, simple answer that I agree with. Do not duck unless you have some cover. If you have cover, you want to stick behind it, so it doesn't hurt you to limit your mobility while you're behind said cover. But since you asked about a situation in which you didn't have cover... move move move, until he has to reload and then drop him. Don't waste ammo trying to fire while you're running if you have a handgun, unless you have enough rounds to afford suppressive fire, or you're at really close range.
Old November 7, 2005, 02:22 AM   #11
Sir William

I may have seen this in a different light. My image is a scene with no retreat, escape, cover or concealment. The only option is get dirty, get close and one will survive. You might not be that one.
Old November 7, 2005, 04:33 AM   #12
warwagon

We have found that most rounds fired at a flat surface only rise about 4-8 inches and travel in a flat trajectory till loss of energy and gravity take over. Mobility in this scenario is your best bet. Staying put only presents a non moving target to to your adversary giving him the advantage.
Old November 7, 2005, 07:07 AM   #13
Rimrod

Stand and shoot.
"... he held his gun as almost every man skilled in such matters preferred to hold one when in action, with a half bent elbow that brought the gun slightly in front of his body at about, or slightly above, the level of the waist." - Wyatt Earp from Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshall by Stuart N. Lake
Old November 7, 2005, 07:20 AM   #14
XavierBreath

Move.

If you have no cover option, then movement will protect you most. Preferred movement is a left diagonal going away from the enemy to increase distance. More importantly, keep your movement sporadic and unpredictable. Learn to shoot with decent accuracy on the move. Bullseye shooting will not save your hide in a gunfight (usually) but destroying your enemy's ability to get a hit while hitting what you aim at will.

FWIW, leftward movement is towards your enemy's right. Rightward (or strong side) movement of a target is the most difficult to compensate for.
Old November 7, 2005, 07:38 AM   #15
Dust_Devil

Are both you and the bad guy out in the open? Then I say keep practicing your marksmanship and neutralize the BG before he gets you and you won't have to worry about standing or kneeling.

But seriously, you do want to keep on moving and move fast. A moving target is much harder to shoot than a target even half its size standing still. I say you should keep moving and move in random directions so the BG can't get an aim on you while moving in a consistent direction.

Laying down? I suppose this may work if you are at very long ranges like 200 yards or more, but at close ranges if you are laying down that only gives the BG an opportunity to get closer to you and your big ass body spread across the ground is an easy target.

Perhaps anyone's first reaction when getting shot at out in the open is to crouch or kneel down, quickly find their target and then shoot and move, shoot and move.
Old November 7, 2005, 08:05 AM   #16
OBIWAN

With no escape and no cover you want to end it quickly

Keep shooting...and...if possible...keep moving

Towards cover preferably

But any movement at all is helpful, as often times the BG will be shooting at where you were

Going to your knees or prone sacrifices mobility (makes you a sitting duck) and makes for akwardness on the way down and the way up (if you survive at all)
Old November 7, 2005, 08:11 AM   #17
ISP2605

"Quote:

Wouldn't moving to your left be moving to his right?"

You're correct Woodland.
Old November 7, 2005, 09:29 AM   #18
OBIWAN

Have actually played with this

For a right handed shooter you tend to get less accurate as you swing your arm to the right (away from your body) rather than left (closer to your body)

When we did it, most people were forced to move their feet "sooner" when trying to engage a target to their right

YMMV

This was not a real scientific study but it did use both weaver and Isoceles shooters....any resemblence to actual science is purely accidental
Old November 7, 2005, 09:50 AM   #19
ISP2605

You're correct Obiwan, provided the other subject is also right handed.
The comments were just in reference to Pointer's "Move to your left because the perp is more likely to miss his target (you) to his left."
If you move to your left then to the other subject you are moving to his right, not left.
Old November 7, 2005, 10:13 AM   #20
Mikeyboy

Would it be simple to move away in the direction of the bad guys gun hand. I can see me getting confused in a panic situation forgetting which way to go. Kind of like the icy conditions when you drive, do I turn into the skid or away.
Does the same hold true with rifle/shotgun shooter? I'm thinking it might be the opposite, making it even more confusing.

My thought on the original question, keep moving with the only exceptions is to get down when you don't know where the shooter is. Maybe you get on one knee in the open if shooting long distance (50 yard and over) at a guy with a pistol who also in the open and is having a hard time hitting you too, instead of just running up on each other to close the distance, but what are the odds of that happening.
Old November 7, 2005, 10:19 AM   #21
VaughnT

I cannot think of a single instance where kneeling would do you any good. It might provide a smaller target, but it also compacts the vital zones in their relationship to eachother; it puts the knees very close to the groin and torso. Visualize in your mind what a person in a typical kneeling position would look like from the shooter's perspective. It wouldn't take much luck to put a round or three into a critical area.

If you don't have physical cover, use movement as your cover. Badguys are generally poor shots and rely on a massive volley rather than precision fire. They chances of them taking a good sight picture, and making that one shot count, are very slim. Because of this, you moving acts the same as a solid object that obscures your visual signature from them.

How do you move? As fast as you can while without sacrificing your ability to deliver accurate return-fire.

Remember, you are a shooter, a gun nut, and have likely trained far more than your antagonist. All of that training and practice and general goodtimes at the range won't count for a hill of beans if you get all silly and just lob rounds at your enemy as he has lobbed them at you. We are not playing a rousing game of Badmitton, people!
Old November 7, 2005, 10:25 AM   #22
Pointer

Woodland

That is correct... move to the shooters right.

That majority will be right-handed... this tends to block their view of the target on the right with their gun and hand and arm, etc.

The natural direction of movement for the hand/arm, is downward and across the body... the other direction is un-natural and must be controlled by the shooter.

Under stress, the natural tends to take over...
That's why we practice...
to make the un-natural come naturally!

Most perps are not very practiced shooters... so they "naturally" miss down and left... (I hope! )

The opposite for the left-handed perp...
So, if you have a split-second and have your wits about you... adjust accordingly.

EXAMPLE

In pistol training, they had a bunch of guys who had never fired a pistol in their lives... before this Training Course.

Near the end of training, as a demonstration, they had us "shuffle-step" toward our targets with our weapons pointed at it. They had us where our guns were within 3-4 yards and suddenly every DI there yelled "FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!"...

Everybody fired their last two rounds at point blank range...

Less than 3% of the company hit the silhouette with both shots and less than 5% hit the target AT ALL!

You guessed it... all the misses and most of the "single hits" were DOWN and to the "OFF-side" of the shooter.

Even in a stressful moment... you have a lot more time than you think...
Take full advantage of it and aim the gun... don't just point it!

Yes, I had two X's.
Old November 7, 2005, 10:46 AM   #23
shamus005

Standing still in a gunfight is a bad idea. Shoot and move and keep shooting and moving.
Old November 7, 2005, 11:04 AM   #24
Eghad

no cover....move

NRA Life Member
Old November 7, 2005, 11:46 AM   #25
timothy75

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Movement is probably a good idea but I wonder, if I can just place one accurate shot I can end the damn situation all together without all the running around.