The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 28, 2005, 05:07 AM   #26
Low Key

I'm baaaaack!

Hey Mike,MPP1423,
Yesterday was a busy day, mandatory 12 hr shift at work...:barf: Didn't have time for hardly anything. I did get the new Remington yesterday evening so I had to make time to take it apart and clean it and give it a good once over. Lost some sleep, but dreamed about target practice the rest of the night!

I ordered the Pietta instead of Uberti since mike convinced me that they all need some smith work anyway. You're right mike the gun does need some smoothing out, but that's no big deal and I'm in no way disappointed with what I got. Overall I'd rate this gun as a "very good workmanship", the castings are good quality and the gun is tight! I did have to take a little metal off the cylinder pin with some sandpaper, the fit was so tight before that you had to wiggle the pin through the cylinder to get it to go through and "lock up" when installing the cylinder. That's fixed now and it's slick as grease, works very well with the cylinder that came with the gun and my three other cylinders from my other gun. The inside of the barrel is a little gritty too, so I'll have to find some JB bore paste and smooth that out soon. When I ran patches down the barrel to clean it, it was actually gritty enough to pull fuzz off the patch and leave in the barrel, but the rifling looks good and sharp. The action is a tiny bit gritty when cocking and you wouldn't notice if you weren't paying attention for it. I think that will smooth itself out with a little use. Another excuse to go shoot! I'll chamfer the new cylinder this weekend and smooth the bore out, also I plan on getting some blue remover and thinning down the shiny new blue on this gun to make it look well worn, any other suggestions on what else I need to do to smooth out my new toy?

Sorry, no pics yet but I'll get that taken care of tonight or tomorrow morning so you guys can get a look. I'll get a pic as it looks now and when I get the bluing stripped down a bit I'll get an "after" pic for comparison.

BTW, mike that gun of yours is SHARP!
Old October 28, 2005, 07:15 AM   #27
Remington kid

Low Key, Good deal on the gun! Glad you got it and that the gun look's good. I had heard that they installed new equipment.
Make sure the cylinder holes are lining up dead center with the barrel, if not send the gun back. Just cock it and then look down the barrel in good out door day light and with a flash light.Make sure it's unloaded,
As for the working being a little rough you may want to strip it down and stone all the parts just a little. You will feel the ridges on paw, trigger and so on. It seems to me that they are stamped out . I used a basterd file and sand paper. This is done on the edges and on both sides of each piece.
If your really careful you can smooth up the cogs on the trigger and paw.
Later you may want to lighten up that trigger spring by tapering it down at the trigger side very gradually starting from the bottom of the grip to the top.
As for the barrel being a little rough here is an old trick that works great... Buy some light valve grinding compound from your local auto stor or ask someone for a little bit of it.Place some over the ball like you would grease and fire the gun. Clean the barrel and check it put. It usally only takes once or twice and the barrel will be burr free.
Have fun and buy that book I told MPP1423 about on Amazon.com. There cheap and fullof great info on tunning the Remingtons and other good stuff.
It's called "Hobby Home Gun Smithing"
Lets us know how the shooting goes. Mike
Old October 28, 2005, 07:25 AM   #28
Remington kid

Kevin, Thanks for the info. Now I can get everything togeather and start droping hints to Santa (My wife)
I neard so many bad things about shooting conicals from these guns that I never tried them because they all claimed that they were not accurate. Guess you blew that myth.
Im also been thinking about a .36 for my next gun but just not sure wich one.
Any sugeestions from you guy's? I like my .44 where Im in the heavy woods but I thought a lighter weight .36 would be good to carry around the yard for snakes and plinking. Already have two 1858 .44 so I thought maybe a 51 Navy? Take care all, Mike
Old October 28, 2005, 07:59 AM   #29
Low Key

That gunsmithing book will definitely be my next purchase. My wife tells me that all this stuff I do with BP guns looks tedious and I tell her that it's relaxing to me...she just smiles. She knows how I am.

I checked the cylinders with the barrel last night and they do line up, so no worries there...whew! I'll try that trick with the valve grinding compound, sounds like a neat and quick way to smooth a bore out. I'll also be smoothing out the rough parts over the next week or so as I have time. They do look like they are stamped parts and could use a little hand finishing and thats part of the fun.

First accuracy test tomorrow, as long as it's not raining here. That going to be much fun! BOOM! smoke, holes in paper, can't wait!
Old October 28, 2005, 09:52 AM   #30
MPP1423

Guys,your Not Going To Beleive This But That Book We Are All Getting,i Just Went On To That Site I Told Mike About,midsouth Shooter,and They Have In There For 10.42.the Item # Is 043-bhg.can You Beleive That I Just Paid 30 Bucks!!!!!!!!
Old October 28, 2005, 11:05 AM   #31
Low Key

Quote:
Im also been thinking about a .36 for my next gun but just not sure wich one.
Any sugeestions from you guy's?
I think the 51 navy is a sturdy looking gun, cabela's also has a 1862 army police 36 cal that I kind of like the looks of it.

Quote:
Guys,your Not Going To Beleive This But That Book We Are All Getting,i Just Went On To That Site I Told Mike About,midsouth Shooter,and They Have In There For 10.42.
hmmmm...I might just do some shopping there sometime soon
Old October 28, 2005, 02:38 PM   #32
MPP1423

Hey Mike,
I Had To Tell Ya What I Did This Morning.me And My Hunting Buddy Went To Sight In Our Smoke Poles And So I Took My 58 With Me.well,i Told Ya I Had To Push It Sometimes,i Have Found A New Load.your Going To Think Im Nuts But 47 Grns Of 777,wad,and A Round Ball.wow!!!! It Rocks And Is On Target At 20 Yrds.no Problems At All.pretty Much Full To The Gill In The Chamber With 777,lay The Wad On Top And Drive It Home And Set A .451 Round Ball.man,i Think It May Be My New Hunting Load.well,ruger Says To Load Their Chambers Full And Set It Off So I Just Had To Try It.mine Is In Stainless So Maybe Its A Little Stronger,not Sure But It Performed Great.kicks Like A .357 Mag.here Again I Dont Think I'd Shoot All Day With This Load But I Shot 12 Times With It With Nothing Going Wrong.
Old October 28, 2005, 06:19 PM   #33
Remington kid

Low Key, It sounds like you are ready to start poking holes One of my favorite things is to walk around the yard and shoot pine cones and small rocks. Also like to pretend that the sticks are snakes! great practice and fun too!
The Navy does look good or maybe I'll break down and a get a fancy one just for the heck of it. Poor old Santa is not going to have enough room in his bag for us this Christmas
Sounds like a good place to buy that book! Don't remember what I paid for mine but I got it used on Amazon.com but it's like new. Mike
Old October 28, 2005, 06:35 PM   #34
Remington kid

Kevin, ARE YOU CRAZY!!! I always told my sister and my Police Chief buddy that all cops were about 3/4 of a bubble out of plumb
I do know that there is no way you can get 47g in my Remington with a wad and I do know that I don't want to
Just be careful with that stuff or you may end up with a piece of steel in your head or worse!
I just got in from Bear hunting and had a small one under my tree, about #150
Our Bear and Deer archery season opened on the 15th. So I do a little bow hunting and a little fishing and a little Remington shooting.
Years ago I built two Penn. long rifles with Green River barrels. Built them from scratch and it took me about a year and a half. A .45 for deer and a .32 for squirrel.
Almost forgot to tell you...I talked to a guy who cast his own bullets for years and he told me to tell you to stay away from the wheel weights for lead. The lead is way to hard and it will not be good for your barrel.
The best lead you can get is from plumbers because they only use pure lead. Maybe you can talk to a plumber on a building site on your patrol? He said that even plumbers lead from old building's is great because all the dirt floats to the top and you just skim it off. Mike
Old October 28, 2005, 06:47 PM   #35
MPP1423

Thanks For The Info On The Wheel Weights,i Didnt Know That.yea,i Had To Try The Fuul Load In My 58.lol.i Filled The Chamber,leveled It Off With My Finger And Placed A Wad Ontop And Set It 1st Which Left Plenty Of Room For The Ball.i Filled The Chamber Then Poured The Charge Into My Measure And It Was Right At 47 Grns Of Ff 777.i Know,im Nuts.lol.
Old October 28, 2005, 08:01 PM   #36
Remington kid

Kevin, It sounds to me like that load should be a real winner for hunting. Can't wait to hear you tell about that Deer you shot and how it vaporized !!!
How's the recoil on that load? Mike
Old October 28, 2005, 10:26 PM   #37
MPP1423

Mike,it Really Aint As Bad As You'd Think.its About Like A Mild .357.which Is Why I Dont Think It Will Hurt My Gun,it Just Didnt Feel To The Extreme If You Know What I Mean.maybe The Fact That I Was Using Ff And Fff Made A Difference.but You Can Beleive I'll Be Using It In The Hunting Woods.i Wish My Own Cast Would Fit But No Way It Will Go In With All That Powder And A Wad.lol.but The Ball Under This Load Was Very Much On Target At 20 Yrds Shooting Off Hand With No Bench.my Ruger Was Shipped Out Today So I Cant Wait.yall Was Talking About The .36 Navy's,i'd Like To Have One But I Could'nt Use It To Hunt With In Tn.the Cal Has To Be .40 Or Above For Pistol.

Last edited by MPP1423; October 29, 2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old October 29, 2005, 06:35 AM   #38
Low Key

Kevin,
I didn't know much about the 777 when I started this thread, but I've learned a lot about it from you and mike both and from some reading I've done elsewhere. I think that you are OK with the 47 gr load, (for the most part, you still may actually be crazy for doing this ) the reason I think so is because of the granulation you're using. Ff is a larger grain size than the Fff that I use, the larger grain size leaves less surface area exposed to burn than a smaller grain size would, so it burns slower than the smaller grains and keeps the pressure more even over a longer period of time. If you were to use 47 gr of Fff you might actually be in some danger with the 777. But then again you might not, we all know the Rem is a strong gun framewise and I prefer to err on the side of caution. I'd hate for you to have to change your screen name to stumpy though so you be careful buddy.

If I happen to see a news article that says something like "Nashville police officer blows deer in half!" I'll know you've been deer hunting with your remington!!
Old October 29, 2005, 06:54 AM   #39
Low Key

Quote:
Poor old Santa is not going to have enough room in his bag for us this Christmas
Santa may have a very HEAVY bag to lug around this Christmas if he brings us all what we want, namely more guns!!
I'm already thinking about a 5 1/2" remington 58 for my next addition, but that may have to wait until spring. Save a little overtime money here and there and the next thing you know I have another gun on order!

I had also heard about staying away from wheel weights for shooting lead because they put tin in the mixture and it makes the lead harder. Good for staying stuck on a tire rim, bad for your barrell. Someone in an older thread said that if you can find a divers weight belt that they have good pure lead in them that is really good for bullet making. I've been toying with the idea of casting my own round balls just for something else fun to do and I might eventually try a conical also. I had no idea that you could get accuracy out of them in a revolver since everyone else says that they can never get them to seat straight, I guess it's all in how careful you are in your loading process.

Pics coming later today! It's not raining here so it's lookin like shootin weather to me!
Old October 29, 2005, 07:21 AM   #40
MPP1423

Low Key,
I Been Acused Before For Being A Little Crazy.im Only 5'5 But Fairly Built And I Dont Treat The Big Guy At Work Any Different.lol.my Co-workers Know That If I Call For Back Up Some Thing Aint Right Cause I Dont Call For It That Often.my Co Worker That Was With Me Yesterday When I Was Shooting,who Doesnt Shoot Bp Pistols,seen Me Leveling Off The Cylinders And Asked If I Was Supposed To Do It Like That.lol.his Words Were "you Aint Right".but It Shot Great.as For The Wheel Weights,i Asked Another One Of My Buddies About Them And He Said What You And Mike Said.he Says If The Bullets Were For Regular Guns,modern,then I'd Be Ok Because The Lead Is Too Hard For Muzzeloaders But Not For The Others.but I Found Some Lead On Ebay That Says Its For Bp Bullets.
Old October 29, 2005, 07:27 AM   #41
Remington kid

Really don't want a .36 for hunting. Just want it for plinking around the yard and for when Im mowing or walking around the yard and spot the snakes. Does that sound like it will fly with my wife for an excuse for another gun?
It's legal here for squirrel but it would most likely just be for fun.
That Ruger is a well built gun for sure! Just a little out of my price range right now. Mike
Old October 29, 2005, 12:22 PM   #42
MPP1423

Hey Mike,
Man, I Tell Ya You Need To Go To Gunbroker.com! The List For This Ruger Is 495.00 I Got Mine In Mint Cond For 300.00 And Thats Shipping Too.i'd Like To Get Me A 1860 Too In .44.i Just Want One.i've Shot A Buddies A Long Time Ago And Couldnt Hit Nothing With It But If I Had My Own I Could Play With It And Find The Right Load For It.they Are Still Cool Looking But Not As Much As The 58's.i Got My Mold For The Ruger Bullets Today.i Got The Hollow Point Mold So Im Ready To Try Some And See How The Turn Out.i Just Dont Seem To Have The Time.i Had A Xtra Job This Morning Now At 330pm I Go Int To Regular Duty Until 2am.then Another Xtra Job In The Morning,the Titans Football Game.im Sure They Will Lose Again.lol.
Old October 29, 2005, 07:26 PM   #43
Remington kid

Kevin, I can still remember my sister and some of the other officers who are friends working the extra jobs, They paid good but it seemed like they were always tied up, High School football games, Concerts at Blossom Music Center and traffic duty for funerals and many others. Good extra money for sure.
Just don't get to burnt out, it aint worth it, life is way to short. Mike
Old October 29, 2005, 08:02 PM   #44
MPP1423

Well,im Almost There To Tell Ya The Truth But As You Said ,the Cash Is Good And Thats What Gets Ya Hooked.im Home For Dinner Now And So Far Its Been A Quite Night,knock On Wood.
Old October 30, 2005, 06:02 AM   #45
Low Key

Mike, the 36 would be perfect for snakes and plinking around the yard or as a carry piece for when you're mowing. Your wife might just go for that excuse,

Kevin, Mike's right about the burnout thing. My dad worked LE for 25yrs and towards the end of his career he was sick of it, he couldn't wait to retire and get out of the game, my brother is headed down the same road. He's been in a few years and already tired of it, but he doesn't want to give up the money. FWIW, slow down and enjoy life, money will buy more guns but it doesnt do you any good if you never have time to shoot them.
Old October 30, 2005, 06:32 AM   #46
Remington kid

Got a question for you guys or anyone who is lerking out there that may want to join in. I just made some felt wads useing the felt weather stripping that goes around your doors and windows. Loading my Remington with 40g. of fffg and a .454 ball over the wad and a little grease over the ball to help keep things running smooth and clean the bore. The problem is I can't find any wads after shooting. I always find wads down range if I use the wonder wads.
Could these wads be burning up ? Sure is strange. I know other guys use these wads but never heard any of them say anything about the wads burning up or not finding them. Mike
Old October 30, 2005, 06:58 AM   #47
Low Key

I've been trying to post the pics I took yesterday and can't get them to upload. I put a question in on the question/tech support forum so maybe answers later today and maybe pics after that.

Anyway, Mike the valve grinding compound worked like a charm, I took 2 shots with some over the ball and the rest were my normal loads and when I got in to clean the gun...no burrs in the bore at all, the rifleing looks good and smooth as a baby's butt! The gun shoots right to the point of aim at 10 and 15 yards, which is what I was most concerned about...fixed sights are hard to adjust LOL, but thanks for all the info about how to tune this gun in, I would never have figured this stuff out on my own.
The cylinder still binds on the second cylinder full I shoot so I guess I didn't chamfer out the ends of the cylinders quite enough, I just took a little bit of metal off because I like to go slow on that kind of thing...it's hard to put the metal back if you take off too much I'll take it down a little more and see how it does the next time I shoot. I also know that I need to polish my cylinder pin some more too.

As far as using weather stripping felt for wads, my first guess is that they are burning up either in or first exiting the barrell. The felt that I have seen used for weather stripping is not very dense and looks like it would burn fairly easily. But I've never used any for a BP wad so I'm just guessing...
Old October 30, 2005, 07:30 AM   #48
Remington kid

Low Key, Glad to hear that gun is shaping up for you. Your right aout going slow and not taking to much metal off. As you know it will also get better with time in most cases.
What are you useing to grease the cylider pin and cylinder hole? Are you useing a little grease over the star end of the cylinder as well as the front?
Wonder lube is great for this as well as many others. Some react better to fouling than others and some can make it worse.
Heading out the door , that Bear is waiting for me Mike
Old October 30, 2005, 05:30 PM   #49
Low Key

Good luck with Mr. Bear!

For grease on the cylinder pin I have been greasing the pin, the front of the cylinder, and the star. I had been using bore butter, which isn't getting the job done. Yesterday I tried Thompson Center super lube, same result. Is pure old lard any good? Ive got a whole pound of it for cooking and I'm not afraid to use it!
Old October 30, 2005, 05:46 PM   #50
MPP1423

hi guys,well i just got home from an xtra job,yea i know and yall are right but money is money.lol.but i did get to come home from duty early last night because i got in afight about 1am and got my nose bloodied up for me.dont worry,he got his x2.lol.mike,did you try a little of wonder lube on you felts?low key,i need to do the same to mine,it stick a little but as we have talked i just havent had the time.well,im off to a bud's house for a steak and beer.lol.