The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 23, 2002, 05:27 PM   #1
Tim Currie

CCW came in the mail! In CA!!!

Just checked the mail and had an envelope from the sheriff's office, there it was. Didnt expect it so soon. Cool. Uh....gotta get that holster now.
Old October 23, 2002, 05:37 PM   #2
4thHorseman

Congrats. Tim. In VA we have to go down to the court house to pick it up. They won't send them in the mail.
Old October 23, 2002, 05:43 PM   #3
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Congratulations! It's good to know some parts of the People's Republic of California still respect the Second Amendment. One of the main reasons I left the P.R.C. last summer was that I lived in high crime Silicon Valley with gazillions of illegal aliens, but had no legal right to defend my life.
Old October 23, 2002, 06:44 PM   #4
PeteyPete

Lucky B@stard!!!

We have no chance here in NJ (unless of course your a judge or retired LEO). Consider me green
Old October 23, 2002, 07:06 PM   #5
OF

I just got my NH non-resident in the mail a week ago. That makes 3 now: WA, ME and NH...although I doubt my Washington is still valid since I moved.

With reciprocity that means I'm good to go in:

Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Alaska
Idaho
Kentucky
Michigan
Utah
Alabama
Georgia
Indiana
North Dakota
Wyoming

and maybe (if my Washington permit is still valid):

Virginia
Montana
Washington

Have gun, will travel!

- Gabe
Old October 23, 2002, 07:48 PM   #6
pittspilot

Congratulations

I am trying to do the same thing, may I ask you some questions?

1) Which department?

2) What was your need statement?

3) Was there an interview w/ the department? How did it go?

This information could help me obtain a CCW, and would be much appreciated

Winston S. Churchill

"The American Republic is finished when the Congress realizes that it can bribe the people with the peoples money"

De Touqueville
Old October 23, 2002, 08:14 PM   #7
Tim Currie

Your're in Yolo County right? I would think for sure Solano or Sac county would be impossible.... have no idea on which way Yolo swings, anyway...

1) I applied directly to the County Sheriff's office. I do live in the Chico city limits but didnt want to bother with the PD since they supposedly will just deny you then you have to go to the Sheriff anyway.

2) My need was "Self defense/personal protection". Butte County is basically shall-issue so you don't need a special need for it.

3) No interview. Very easy going actually. The only crap about it was the $118 processing fee to apply, everything else was very simple. The lady even called me and left a message telling me she needed a copy of my DL to complete the processing (she was reminding me, I had lost my license when I first applied...).
Old October 23, 2002, 08:47 PM   #8
bruels

In the mail? That's unusual. I used to issue them when the Sheriff's secretary wasn't in. She would have them typed up and signed by the sheriff. The license holder had to sign the license and put his thumb print on the three or four copies.

Has something changed?
Old October 23, 2002, 08:58 PM   #9
Blackhawk

Good for you!
Old October 23, 2002, 09:01 PM   #10
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Great Tim, now excercise your right to carry!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old October 23, 2002, 09:47 PM   #11
tw1112

Congrats! So if you didn't get the ccw, do you lose the 118 reg fee? I was going to try, but I am thinking that since I am really young and the only reason would be for personal defense. Oh well maybe I will try.
Old October 23, 2002, 11:55 PM   #12
Tim Currie

Quote:
Congrats! So if you didn't get the ccw, do you lose the 118 reg fee? I was going to try, but I am thinking that since I am really young and the only reason would be for personal defense. Oh well maybe I will try.
Yeah the fee is non-refundable. I am only 22 and don't have any compelling reason either. What County are you in?
Old October 24, 2002, 12:37 AM   #13
Jim March

Butte's Sheriff is a good guy.

Yolo's is a scumbag.

That makes a difference.

Pittspilot: I assume you've seen my site? Esp. the "Expose Project" files?

http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw
Old October 24, 2002, 01:13 AM   #14
tw1112

I'm in the Los Angeles County, my city has a police station, but it is run by the la county and not the city itself. Not sure if that makes sense or makes a diff. I will give it a try when I have the extra money though! Just feel really unsafe these days walking around. Recently there's been an attempted kidnapping from a local school, muggings, break in's..stuff like that.
Old October 24, 2002, 01:30 AM   #15
El Rojo

TW1112. Don't bother applying if you are applying in LA County. If you have no local police, then LA County handles your application. If that is the case, forget about it unless you are far left democrat and donate lots of money to the dems. Trust me, you won't get one.

Tim Currie. I mean if you say you have one, you must have one, but it sure is strange they mailed it to you. I live in Kern County and also got mine when I was 22. I said I live in the boonies and have to drive everywhere, plus I work for a boys camp that required me to drive into the inner-city and transport personel and paychecks. I didn't need the work thing, they give em to just about everyone down here.

Anyway, I too had to go to the station, sign, and thumb print mine. The second thing is I now live in a small city that has a PD. My understanding is I cannot jump jurisdiction and get a new permit from Kern County while I live in the city limits. As long as I don't let mine expire, I can keep it, but if it expires and I re-apply, I won't be approved with the county. I haven't really bothered to see how the city feels about CCW. I know it is possible, but I think they might limit it to local carry. Kern County's permit is good state wide.

So just to let you know, the whole sending it to you by the mail sounds awefully fishy. It isn't that I don't believe you, it just doesn't seem right. Is there a chance you got scammed or that they might not be doing things right? This is a touchy thing because I wouldn't want to stir up the waters on a good clear thing.

All else aside, welcome to the club! And they say we live in a communist state! Well we do, just some of us are fortunate to live in the free sections.
Old October 24, 2002, 02:08 AM   #16
Tim Currie

Well I did have to have the prints taken and I signed, but I did that when I submitted the application. And she also told me that if everything checks out I should recieve it in the mail. And yeah its for real.

As far as being in city limits and applying to the Sheriff. I was under the belief that the Sheriff was the ultimate word and supercided the local police chief. I asked before I applied and was told I can just go straight to the Sheriff. When applying the deputy also confirmed that it wasn't a problem that I live in the city.

Hope that helps.
Old October 24, 2002, 02:50 AM   #17
4thHorseman

Need statement.........interview???????? What the he##. Haven't those guys in Kalifornia ever heard of the second amendment??
Dude......... I'm sorry guys. I feel your pain.
Old October 24, 2002, 03:54 AM   #18
El Rojo

Ah now it makes sense. What an easy way to do it. I am sure it is up to the county on who issues permits, which in my county the county doesn't tread on any of the city's turf.
Old October 24, 2002, 12:32 PM   #19
Trimation

Does anyone know how hard it is to get a ccw in stanislaus county, ca? Would be interested in getting mine if it isn't too impossible.
Old October 24, 2002, 02:36 PM   #20
Jim March

Stanislaus is a bad one. Not impossible, but...ugly.
Old October 24, 2002, 05:58 PM   #21
Ikari

What about San Luis Obispo county? How hard is it to get a permit there? I'll be moving there next summer (I'm currently in Humboldt County, where a permit is relatively easy to get).
Old October 24, 2002, 08:50 PM   #22
Jim March

SLO has a middling rep. Not too bad, but short of shall-issue. If you've had a Humboldt CCW for a long time, odds of "renewal" in SLO are decent.
Old October 24, 2002, 09:21 PM   #23
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Yahooooooooo! I just received my permit to carry concealed hand guns in the mail this afternoon.

Colorado is a may issue rather than shall issue state, but I made sure before I moved here from the People's Republic of California that my local sheriff actually issues the permit to those who are qualified. It's not only wonderful to live in the United States again, it's wonderful to live in a county that respects the Second Amendment.

I've joined the Colorado State Shooting Association, registered to vote, and will do my best to make this another shall issue state P.D.Q.
Old October 26, 2002, 10:40 AM   #24
bobs1066

Is Monterey in San Benito county? Does the sheriff there issue CCW permits to ordinary citizens?
Old October 26, 2002, 01:29 PM   #25
Jim March

Monterey is in Monterey County. Send me EMail on that one .