The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old August 24, 2002, 09:39 PM   #1
justinh

Hotbuysbinoculars.com

Has anyone ever dealt with this company? I want to buy some Pentax 8x42 DCF WP binoculars from them. I see they have good prices, but how is their customer service? Thanks.
Old August 28, 2002, 10:52 AM   #2
slymule

justinh,

Just received two days ago my new Leica 1200 rangefinder that I bought from them. Shipping was prompt and they arrived in excellent condition. Here's the only thing I didn't like about dealing with them - I called and got their price, asked about their shipping price (it was ridiculous, I thought), I complained about how much they charged then finially said okay I'll buy them and gave them my Visa card number. THEN the guy asked me if I wanted to purchase a carrying case for it for $12.99. I laughed and told him that you could buy a cheap pair of $20. binoculars and they still threw in a carrying case, and I knew darn well that they gave you one when you bought a $400. rangefinder. He swore they didn't, I said "piss on it, then cancel my order". Before I could hang up he offered to throw in the carrying case and cut the shipping price in half, so I took the deal. Don't let them snow you into pulling something similar. Last year I bought the Pentax DCF WP binoculars from AAA Camera, in NY. and they do come with a carrying case. You might try their prices as well although Hot Buy was only a dollar cheaper on the price of the rangefinder. AAA Camera took twice as long to ship. Gotta love those prices though! Oh by the way, you're gonna absolutely love those Pentax binos.
Old August 28, 2002, 03:30 PM   #3
justinh

Thanks for the feedback, but I already bought the binos from a different store. I found a site with reviews of online retailers, and several of the reviews for Hotbuys were very bad. I bought them from 17th Street Photo for $339.73 including shipping, and that is before the $100 rebate. I found out that Hotbuys has the after-rebate price listed, so I actually got a better deal from 17th Street Photo. I just don't want to risk dealing with a dishonest business.
Old August 28, 2002, 08:15 PM   #4
SWFA

Are they the same as HotBuysElectronics? If so read all about them here.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1938.html