The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 17, 2013, 12:24 AM   #1
moisanfan11

good pump action shotgun

I just want a good general use(hunting, skeet,etc.) shotgun any suggestions
Old April 17, 2013, 03:01 AM   #2
CajunBass

I've used a Sears/Mossberg 500 for about 40 years without a complaint. I liked it well enough to buy another one in 20 ga a few years ago. The Remington 870 is another that a lot of people like. The Browning and Ithaca guns are good.

I suppose it depends on what you want, and how much you want to spend.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 17, 2013, 05:59 AM   #3
jmr40

None of the common pumps are a really bad choice. It comes down to the features, and price point most important to you. Browning, Benelli, Remington, Mossberg, Ithica and probably a few I forgot make good guns and different models selling at different price points.

My default choice is one of the Remington 870's.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:15 PM   #4
BigJimP

Browning BPS Hunter model ...12ga, 28" barrel and changeable screw in chokes...is my choice...

They're cast neutral ( so they don't favor a leftie or right handed shooter), eject out of the bottom, safety is on top of the tang so its easy to reach with gloves on.../ dual action bars make the action really smooth...nothing not to like about this gun !!

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=012&tid=211

They sell new for around $ 575 - $ 600 in my area.
----------

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...4&d=1236031619

These are my BPS Hunter models I purchased in the late 1970's or so ....they've killed so many birds and clays.../ maybe 500,000 shells thru each of them by now ( they've been thru 2 boys, and at least 4 of the grandkids now as well...)....one is a 12ga and one is a 20ga...

the model has not changed much at all...
Old April 17, 2013, 04:28 PM   #5
WCW

I have had a Winchester 1300 for a few years now, and for a cheap shotgun ($200.00 new at Walmart) it has been flawless. Actually the more I shoot it the better I like it. Works fine for trap and all the bird and small game hunting I do.
Old April 17, 2013, 07:49 PM   #6
BamaMac54

I had a Remi 870 express, and it was great. I've got a Mossberg 835 now in the 24" 12 gauge setup, and I'll never let it go. You barely feel it shoot.
Old April 17, 2013, 08:28 PM   #7
jonnyc

I got my Maverick 88 at Walmart for about $177. It stays under my bed with an 18.5" barrel, when it's resting from the hundreds of rounds I have through its 26" barrel on the trap range.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:54 PM   #8
scrubcedar

+1 on the BPS. It was my first shotgun not too long ago.
Better action than the others, no question. Something I didn't think about until I fired it was the ejection difference. It's a little thing, but not having that shell zinging through your vision (it's a bottom eject) really helps with acquisition of the next target.
The smooth action means that it doesn't affect your swing nearly as much when you have to pump for repeat shots. I won't get technical as to why, but the muzzle rise when firing is noticeably less than it's competitors.
What this all means is the gun is not fighting you while you're learning to use it. As a noob this all turned out to be very important to me.
Old April 23, 2013, 01:50 PM   #9
ronto

Mossberg 500...good quality at a good price.
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old April 23, 2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Revolver1

Ithaca M37 or Rem 870. Either one in 20ga is ideal!
Old April 23, 2013, 05:04 PM   #11
hodaka

If you can find an old J.C.Higgins (made by High Standard) Model 20 you will have a great pump. An oldee but a goodee. They were in 12 and 20 for sure.
Old April 23, 2013, 05:30 PM   #12
breakingcontact

Re: good pump action shotgun

Mossberg 500 > Mav 88 if you can swing the extra $100
Old April 23, 2013, 06:18 PM   #13
Dreaming100Straight

You posted that you want a general purpose shotgun for hunting, skeet, and etcetera, but the title of your thread is about a pump. A pump can be used for skeet, but is not a great choice as skeet involves double targets. It can be done with a pump, but you may want a semi.

You may have meant busting clay in general by reference to skeet, instead of the formal game of skeet. In that case, a pump may be fine. Especially if you intend to shoot Trap, which is an entirely different game then "skeet" and the most common form (American Trap) involves single targets.
Old April 23, 2013, 06:25 PM   #14
dgludwig

I think that the Browning BPS is the best pump-action shotgun being currently made. I like the bottom-ejection (closed-receiver), tang safety and all-steel construction features. It's a smooth operator, albeit on the heavy side, and pricier than most run-of-the mill Mossbergs and Remington Express models are.
Old April 23, 2013, 06:49 PM   #15
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
You may have meant busting clay in general by reference to skeet, instead of the formal game of skeet. In that case, a pump may be fine. Especially if you intend to shoot Trap, which is an entirely different game then "skeet" and the most common form (American Trap) involves single targets.
^^ agree........too many have no idea that there IS a difference
Old April 24, 2013, 10:36 AM   #16
TB9

pasture trap. one of my all time favorite sports get a couple cases of wal-mart clays a bar-b-Q grill and some friends for an afternoon of fun in the sun.
Old April 24, 2013, 03:25 PM   #17
Grant D

I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster with a modified choke that works great for skeet, trap, and dove hunting.
Old April 24, 2013, 09:15 PM   #18
Doug S

I know it's nothing special, but I just bought a "cheap" Maverick 88, and I have to say it seems like a very decent gun. I've owned two Mossbergs, and the Maverick seems to be their equal. No complaints, and very economical.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old April 26, 2013, 06:42 PM   #19
ejb69

Remington 870.
Old April 26, 2013, 10:26 PM   #20
ClydeFrog

My input...

I'm not Mr Room-Broom but Id look at these models; Mossberg 500/590, the Browning BPS line, the Remington 870 or 1100 series, the new Remington 887 12ga, the Beretta line.

See: www.gunsamerica.com www.remington.com www.gilbertsguns.com www.natchezss.com www.midwayusa.com www.cabelas.com www.midwayusa.com .
Old April 27, 2013, 08:45 AM   #21
oletymer

It depends on what you want. All of the guns listed will go bang. I don't care for low end like the Mossberg and Express guns. The Wingmaster and BPS are very good guns. The best being made today is the Ithaca 37. They are more expensive but you get what you pay for. They are made with machined steel parts, no stamping or aluminum.
Old April 27, 2013, 08:52 AM   #22
Wyosmith

Look very closely at both the Browning BPS and the Ithaca M-37
Old April 27, 2013, 12:00 PM   #23
pmeisel

Mossberg 500 is the Chevy pickup truck of shotguns. It will do it all without complaint. I had one for 25 years, it belongs to my son now, I don't do as much shotgunning as I used to.
Old April 27, 2013, 03:04 PM   #24
BigD_in_FL

The problem with a "do-it-all" gun is that it tends to not do any ONE thing very well. If that still works for you and in your applications, then no big deal. However, many times a specific gun more dedicated to particular application is a better choice
Old April 29, 2013, 12:52 AM   #25
Boomer58cal

Mossberg 500, 590 etc. Can't go wrong. You can even get a 500 that comeswith both a long and short barrel.

Anyone that thinks pumps are slow hasn't practiced enough. I can beat 9 out of ten guys with semi autos. It takes longer for most people to get on target than it does to pump another round in. An auto is only faster by fractions of a second and an auto that will feed and function as well as a pump will cost you 3 times as much as a pump. My pumps of varying brands will all feed any ammo I sent their way. You'll be hard pressed to get an auto that will match them for much under a grand. If SHTF I'd leave the Benelli and grab the Mossy pump.

When I look for a gun I look for two things over everything else. It must be dead reliable( feeds and go's bang every time/ must be durable) and accuracy( accurate enough for it's intended purpose). You should decide what characteristics you need in your gun and then research what guns best matches your needs and price range. Hopefully that will shorten your list to two or three to choose from.

You could always buy both and cover all your bases. That's what I'd do