The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2013, 08:01 PM   #26
horseman308

You might check out STI's Spartan III and Spartan IV. They're along the lines you're looking for, are around your price range, and they're 1911's that can be had in 9mm. As the numbers imply the Spartan III is a 3.5" officer's size, and the Spartan IV is a 4.25" Commander size.
Old January 7, 2013, 08:59 PM   #27
stormyone

A single stack Kahr T9 will make you fall in love once you hold it.

If you can find one......
Old January 7, 2013, 09:32 PM   #28
BillCA

Look for any of the older S&W Metal frame pistols.

The 39-series are single stack 9mm pistols. 39-2, 439, 539...3904, 3914, etc.
They have the 457, a compact single stack .45 ACP.
The 4006 is a .40 version of the 39 series.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:21 PM   #29
ClydeFrog

Mid 1980s....

If this was the mid 1980s, I'd suggest the custom ASP 9x19mm pistol, .
It's a S&W model 39 with over 212 modifications. Why it ended production is a gun industry mystery.
Coal Creek Armory ran a limited ed based on the 3913 model, the ASP2000, but it wasn't as high tech as Theodore's ASP design.

Clyde
PS; The latest Combat Handguns(Mar 2013) has a new article about the ASP 9mm.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:30 PM   #30
btmj

A 1911 in 38 super? an under-appreciated cartridge that is just a bit hotter than a 9mm +p... but a little less hot than a 357 sig.
Old January 8, 2013, 12:47 AM   #31
scrubcedar

+1 on the star model B, last I checked aim surplus had them in stock for about $400.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:57 AM   #32
g.willikers

Surprisingly, no one has mentioned the Ruger SR9.
While it's not a single stack, it's not very wide, about the same as a 1911.
It has the safety in the same place and the same grip angle as a 1911, too.
And it sells for around $400.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:28 PM   #33
KyJim

I can highly recommend STI Spartans. They come in three barrel lengths. They are made by Armscor to STI specs, using a forged slide and STI fire control system. Mine rivals my high end 1911s in accuracy and has been 100% reliable (I only shoot FMJ in mine). Price is about $630 plus shipping and local FFL fee. http://www.shootersconnectionstore.c...Item-P967.aspx
Old January 8, 2013, 09:48 PM   #34
WVsig

If you are looking for 1911 like trigger than you need to stick with 1911s.... LOL there is nothing on the market that will have that same feel.

I agree with MLeake that the Kahr trigger could not be more different than a 1911 trigger. It is not a bad trigger but it is more like a DAO Revolver trigger. DA/SA are completely different animals and even the best SA action on DA/SA guns are not 1911 like IMHO.

A BHP even thought it is a double stack. You would have to go used and I would suggest swapping out hammer & sear on them to make them perform up to their potential. This will be hard to do under $700 but it can be done. I have picked up nice BHPs for under $600.

I would look hard at the STI and the RIA 9mms but if you are looking to carry the STI I would swap out the sights. I am not a fan of adjustables on a carry gun.

Also those who are suggesting a HK PSP are not reading the thread they are just posting their favorite gun without looking at your criteria. LOL I personally hate carrying the PSP it is butt heavy but many people love them. If you could find one under $700 buy it because you could more than likely resell it for $900.... LOL

Last edited by WVsig; January 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:56 PM   #35
MLeake

WVSig, I carry the P7 in an Andrews Leather MacDaniel IWB. It is different from the other MacDaniels in that the leather flanges to rearward of the main body of the holster, and the belt attachment point is further forward at the top. This rig tucks and stabilizes the P7 beautifully.

Easier to show than to describe:

Last edited by MLeake; January 8, 2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:01 PM   #36
WVsig

Quote:
WVSig, I carry the P7 in an Andrews Leather MacDaniel IWB. It is different from the other MacDaniels in that the leather flanges to rearward of the barrel of the holster near the muzzle end, and the belt attachment point is further forward at the top. This rig tucks and stabilizes the P7 beautifully.
Yeah I carried mine in a Milt Sparks for a while but I never really warmed up to it. In reality I keep it because I got a great deal on one of the grade A Saxony guns from a few years back. I take it out and shoot it every now and then. I love the engineering and the craftsmanship that went into it but it is not one of my favorite 9mms.

When I carry a 9mm these days its a Kahr PW9 or my go to pistol a Custom BHP.

Last edited by WVsig; January 8, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:05 PM   #37
Willie Sutton

^^ the only sensible answer so far, or should I say the only one rooted in a good historical context .

Star Model B is a clone of a 1911 wuth a few differences, all steel, been used by many different military forces including WW-II Germany, and is scaled perfectly for the 9MM. It's a beauty, and is not expensive in it's more common forms.

You can also look for Llama autos, also from Spain. They made scaled down 1911's in many calibers, including the cutest .22 you have ever seen.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; January 8, 2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:06 PM   #38
MLeake

I like the P7 for easier concealment. Lately I carry it, if one of my 1911s is too bulky.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:06 PM   #39
WVsig

Quote:
Star Model B is a clone of a 1911 wuth a few differences, all steel, been used by many different military forces including WW-II Germany, and is scaled perfectly for the 9MM. It's a beauty, and is not expensive in it's more common forms.
Aren't parts becoming more and more of an issue for these?
Old January 8, 2013, 10:07 PM   #40
MLeake

Willie, while the Star B is nice enough, Star no longer exists, and I have a hard time recommending guns that will have zero manufacturer support.

Or maybe I am just uneducated.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:53 PM   #41
Dashunde

You can practically buy two nice BM's within the OP's $700.
Cool gun really.

I think it would be a great addition to Kahr's Auto Ordnance line if they could buy the rights to it.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:58 PM   #42
WVsig

Copes has a ton if them cheap right now... Are they c&r eligible?
Old January 8, 2013, 11:56 PM   #43
Willie Sutton

Willie, while the Star B is nice enough, Star no longer exists, and I have a hard time recommending guns that will have zero manufacturer support.

Aren't parts becoming more and more of an issue for these?

They very rarely break. Ask yourself this: would you pass by a Luger becuase there is no manufacturer support? Buy high quality all steel pistols that are decades old and you will find that they are essentially a lifetime investment. Plus for the <ahem>... $250 average cost... buy three.

Willie

Old January 9, 2013, 03:28 AM   #44
BillCA

One of my favorites is the S&W 3913/3914NL pistols.

The 3913 is the "Ladysmith" and the 3914NL is the black version of it.
It's a 9mm, 3.5" barrel, 8+1, SA/DA with the bobbed hammer.
The 3914 lacks the tapered dust cover, bobbed hammer and night sights.

S&W Model 3914
I love mine and it will digest the Speer 124gr GDHP like its favorite candy.

excelerater - The 39-2 isn't quite rare yet, but they are getting scarce.
Excellent gun and boringly reliable. These shoot spot-on at 25 yards with 115gr ammo.
Old January 9, 2013, 07:02 PM   #45
WVsig

I agree with the 3914 Lady Smith recommendation. They are harder and harder to come by. The last one I saw I bought...... LOL

Old January 9, 2013, 07:07 PM   #46
WVsig

Quote:
They very rarely break. Ask yourself this: would you pass by a Luger becuase there is no manufacturer support? Buy high quality all steel pistols that are decades old and you will find that they are essentially a lifetime investment. Plus for the <ahem>... $250 average cost... buy three.
It is not that they break it is that you will not be able to find small parts like springs, mags and mag parts which are wear parts which need to be replaced if you shoot the gun enough.

To answer your question about the about the Luger it is a red herring because I would not purchase a Luger as a carry gun. I would not put thousands of rounds down the pipe or a Luger like I do with guns that I carry and shoot often. I would however purchase a Luger as an investment piece and special occasion shooter.

Sorry but I do not see the Stars which are being sold these days, all of them are issued surplus guns, as collectors. YMMV
Old January 9, 2013, 10:00 PM   #47
KyJim

I have a Star Model B Super in 9mm Luger. It is a fine pistol and very accurate. I would have no problem with carrying it for defense except for the possible need to replace parts, as WVSig mentioned.

I also have a Smith and Wesson 3913 and agree it is an excellent carry pistol. Yet, it does not have what may be the best feature of a 1911 -- an excellent single action trigger. I stopped carrying mine when I realized I had gotten used to flipping the safety down on a 1911. Do that with a 3913 and you have engaged the safety and decocked the pistol (if cocked). I didn't want muscle memory to get me in trouble.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:30 PM   #48
BillCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYJim
I stopped carrying mine when I realized I had gotten used to flipping the safety down on a 1911. Do that with a 3913 and you have engaged the safety and decocked the pistol (if cocked). I didn't want muscle memory to get me in trouble.
There's a fix for that. PM me if you want more info.

Old January 10, 2013, 10:14 PM   #49
Sharpsdressed Man

The Tokarev family is pretty close to handling and function of the 1911, and several were offered in 9mm.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:01 AM   #50
Strafer Gott

RIA 1911 9mm is a very nice shooter, totally reliable and dead accurate.
It's definitely a keeper.