The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 14, 2012, 09:41 PM   #1
KUHIO

About NC handgun law ???

I relocated to North Carolina about a year ago and I've finally got time to start building my gun collection back up again. However, I've ask local gun gurus and done what research I was able on the internet and I've been unable to figure out one thing;

In order to purchase a handgun in NC you need to A) apply for, and obtain a handgun purchase permit or B) possess a NC CCW permit. I have a Nevada CCW, which is honored here but does not allow me to purchase a handgun here without getting the purchase permit. My question is, if I buy a handgun from an online retailer and have it shipped to a local FFL shop do I still need to get a purchase permit in order for the shop to transfer it to me?

Your help/input/advice/prayers are appreciated
Old December 14, 2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Technosavant

I would imagine that you would most certainly need that permit to purchase in order to have a pistol transferred to you... whether you bought it from that shop or bought it online.

That's how the MO permit to purchase system worked, and I am not aware of any state where online purchases to be transferred at a local dealer are treated any differently from just purchasing at a local dealer.
Old December 15, 2012, 02:27 AM   #3
Merad

Quote:
My question is, if I buy a handgun from an online retailer and have it shipped to a local FFL shop do I still need to get a purchase permit in order for the shop to transfer it to me?
Yes.

If NC is now your permanent place of residence then I would imagine that your Nevada CHL is essentially invalid. I know with a NC CHL you're required to notify the issuing LEO within 30 days of a change of address so that info can be updated. If you hand a LEO a NC DL and a Nevada CHL (remember, NC requires you to inform) I'd expect that you'll be heading up crap creek without a paddle.

Just do yourself a favor and get a NC CHL ASAP.
Old December 15, 2012, 02:36 AM   #4
CWKahrFan

Quote:
Just do yourself a favor and get a NC CHL ASAP.
Yep... This is my advice too. You'll have to spend about $100 for a one-day class and about $100 for your CCW permit (& fingerprinting) which is good for 5 years and unlimited purchases.
Old December 15, 2012, 03:58 AM   #5
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUHIO
My question is, if I buy a handgun from an online retailer and have it shipped to a local FFL shop do I still need to get a purchase permit in order for the shop to transfer it to me?
Yes, you would have to provide a purchase permit or concealed carry permit to the NC FFL (see page #3 of the document linked below).

The State Attorney General has prepared a summary of NC firearms laws that should help you better understand NC's sometimes quirky laws.
Old December 15, 2012, 08:33 AM   #6
KUHIO

Thanks for the responses guy. I'm active duty, that's why I didn't get a NC concealed carry permit, also why I still have my NV drivers license. My home of record is in Nevada.
Old December 15, 2012, 09:37 AM   #7
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Yeah, I am afraid I think you will still need a permit. I have a CCW permit in NC, I bought a rifle in Tenn. yesterday. They accept and observe my CCW permit, but I still had to pay to get a background check for their state to buy the rifle. Wierd rules and regulations..... There need to be uniform laws between states. If you have a CCW permit and it is observed, you should be able to purchase a pistol in said state.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 16, 2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Merad

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guy. I'm active duty, that's why I didn't get a NC concealed carry permit, also why I still have my NV drivers license. My home of record is in Nevada.
I'd just call or visit the sheriff's office in your area. If you're at Bragg, Lejeune, or another big military area I'm sure it's a question they're used to dealing with.
Old December 17, 2012, 05:46 PM   #9
KUHIO

I visited the sheriffs office today. As you've all suspected the purchase permits are still required for transfer of online purchases, so I went ahead and applied. Turns out you can get 5 permits at a time. Guess I need to decide on a few extra guns to buy!
Old December 22, 2012, 01:01 AM   #10
sthomper

I'd expect that you'll be heading up crap creek without a paddle.\

they had a rep who had more dunk drivin gcharges than a stoned derlict teenager and let him finsih a term and continue to make law..bfd.
Old December 23, 2012, 01:16 AM   #11
nocturnal

I am in the same boat here.
I recently moved to NC from GA

I have done as you all said, Step One:
got a new Driver's License for NC

and I went to the Sheriff's office to ask some questions...

Total idiocy is all I received!
I simply asked about the procedure for getting a NC Carry-permit (or whatever they call it) and was met with blank stares. The woman behind the counter called her superiors but I still got no helpful information...finally a customer behind me stepped in and helped me figure it out. I think!

It's confusing here but you must PAY and take a class, and after taking said class, you must PAY and go apply for the conceal-carry-whatever-they-call-it-here and do more paperwork at Sheriff's office.

I feel like as a person, I should be able to inherently carry my firearms...concealed...and without having to spend hundreds to "take a course" and "pay to have a card that says I can exercise my right!"
Not to mention hours of frustration and classes to "legally"
carry.

I like being under the radar, Why would I want to allow the state to know everything about me including identifying information just so I can put into practice a right of mine?

As long as I carry concealed and only use it as a last resort to save myself or someone's life. I really get uneasy about having to go through all the financial and time-consuming burdens of obtaining a piece of plastic that "allows" me my right

...end rant
Old December 23, 2012, 03:47 AM   #12
gc70

No problem, nocturnal. If you do not want to get a Concealed Handgun Permit (the official title), open carry is legal in North Carolina. However, it would be running a substantial risk to illegally concealed carry.

The CHP also has benefits beyond concealed carry. You can buy guns and a CHP is a substitute for individual Pistol Purchase Permits, as well as a substitute for a NICS check.
Old December 24, 2012, 01:11 AM   #13
nocturnal

Thank you gc70

I appreciate the information, this site has been a wealth of information to me over the last few years.

In fact, thanks to everyone here who has helped me better understand, value, and generally enjoy the opportunities firearms have to offer.

I have read through ALL of the firearms related laws as posted within this thread. I have bookmarked it for future reference and I'm pretty sure that I now understand things better.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
It does seem to me that having the CHP should in essence, make purchasing firearms faster as it allows an exemption of the standard NICS background check although that is somewhat offset by it's eighty-dollar investment (or am I mistaken?).

* I was under the knowledge that North Carolina had no set "rules" on open carry, technically...sure I could do it. However, if someone feels scared or terrorized and calls the police then you can get busted for, "terrorizing the public," or "armed to terrorize." I forget the proper nomenclature for the "crime" however; I'm sure you can understand my point nonetheless.

*Also noted, if I were to open carry and I were to become somewhat concealed by clothing or whatever. And I did not have a CHP, than I would be S.O.L. because once again, that is a "crime."

Open carry does not seem like a good option at all for this state.
At least, the (irrationally fearful) mental picture people would get from a strong young man (me) who was open-carrying would probably attract too much attention. I do not want extra attention drawn to me.

Being flashy with an open-carry will draw police attention as well as the rapt attention of folks who are gun-shy (or more properly defined: gun-alienated)...I truly do not want to be bothered. Low key is fine by me.

In conclusion, thank you all for the information.
I feel like I have a better idea of how to go about this process. As well as the fact that the average Sheriff's office can within it's bounds, only issue me five purchase permits per year.
I think I will be getting that CHP as soon as I find the best-priced class. However unreasonable, unnecessary, or bothersome I may feel that class is.

Take care, enjoy Christmas and all those close to you.
Dave
Old December 24, 2012, 05:10 AM   #14
gc70

You're welcome, nocturnal. And for you other questions:

Open carry is based on common law and court precedents. There are only a few statutory laws that address open carry, such as prohibited place restrictions that apply to all firearms, whether carried openly or concealed.

The Attorney General is not pro-gun and his admonition about "going armed to the terror of the public" (GATOP) is, shall we say, excessively cautious. The 1843 precedent for GATOP involved a man riding around waving a shotgun and publicly declaring his intent to kill another man. The court ruled that "... the carrying of a gun, per se, constitutes no offence. For any lawful purpose--either of business or amusement--the citizen is at perfect liberty to carry his gun. It is the wicked purpose, and the mischievous result, which essentially constitute the crime. He shall not carry about this or any other weapon of death to terrify and alarm, and in such manner as naturally will terrify and alarm a peaceful people." GATOP charges in NC are rare, and rightfully so. See this local discussion for more details.

If you open carry, make sure you do carry openly. An open carry gun that is temporarily or partially concealed is an invitation to hassles based on LEO discretion.

You will have to decide the cost and benefits of a CHP versus PPP. The CHP initially costs $90 and is good for 5 years, with renewal costing $75. I have seen the firearms safety course required as a per-requisite for the CHP cost anywhere from $50 to $150, but typically around $75. Each PPP costs $5 and is good for 5 years. Different Sheriffs have different policies for PPP; some will only issue one PPP at a time and limit the total you can get in a year, while others will issue up to 5 at a time and repeat as often as you want. Paradoxically, PPP are effectively "may issue" because the subjective requirement of being "of good moral character" is a factor that a Sheriff considers; CHP is "shall issue" based on qualifications that are all objective requirements listed in state law.