The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 2, 2012, 09:26 AM   #1
baddarryl

OMG! I want a 1911! Damn budget!

After years of living beyond my means I have finally made the decision to save some cash, reign in debt and create a budget (if that's possible with self employment!). Just bought a house and finally got an AR 15 before I did because I knew it would be hard to justify after the move. I have rifles, shotguns, pistols, revolvers, a bow and musket, but no 1911! Help me justify it! Maybe I should just wait for Santa! Lol!
Old October 2, 2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Patriot86

Rock Island arms makes a cheap 1911; the Springfield Armory "Range Officer" will run you less than $800.00; I wouldn't go for any other brands offering "low end" 1911's as I don't have hands on exp with them.
IMO the Range Officer is a great 1911; as good as 1911's prices hundreds of dollars higher.

I too had "gun fever" when I first started buying guns a few year ago but I made the decision I would rather have a few high quality firearms than many "OK" quality firearms but to each his own.

Last edited by Patriot86; October 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old October 2, 2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Stressfire

The saving is the hard part. I'm really wanting an AR, myself. Problem is, my "gun fund" is a $200 and I have car insurance due

Maybe I could just sell the car.....

Patriot, did you mean Rock Island?

ETA: Go figure, I guess Rock River does make a 1911
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/rock...-polymer-1911/
Old October 2, 2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Patriot86

Actually I did mean Rock Island but Rock River Arms makes great firearms as well though I havn't held a RRA 1911 yet.

I feel the pain of saving; I am stashing away money in the hopes we get the IWI Tavor here in America sometime in the next 6 months; if it does happen sounds like it will set you back somewhere between $1,800.00-2,000.00

I was going to drop some money on a P226...then I had to drop $1,000.00 into my truck.
Old October 2, 2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Joe_Pike

Find a shop with a good lay-away plan. There is a shop near me that has a 9 month lay-away. I've never used it but it has been tempting. If you couple that with something like a RIA 1911 you can get away with roughly $50 a month.
Old October 2, 2012, 10:29 AM   #6
baddarryl

I am eyeing the Remington R1 Enhanced, Springfield R/O or Loaded, Ruger SR etc etc. Certainly have made the decision to only pay cash, but after years of whipping out the plastic change is no easy task!
Old October 2, 2012, 11:53 AM   #7
Remington74

Quote:
Rock Island arms makes a cheap 1911
I believe I know what you meant, regardless..

Rock Island Armory makes a very good INEXPENSIVE 1911.

I have two, both 5" Government mdoels, and they have been very reliable, trouble free and accurate.

Being a 1911 pattern they accept all 1911 accessories (at least I haven't found any that don't fit yet and my hobby is tinkering with these guns).

If you are looking for something in the $500 give or take range I would recommend a RIA, I'm sure there are others in that ballpark that may be just as good.
Old October 2, 2012, 12:01 PM   #8
tomrkba

All you have to do is put $25 a week in a sock. You'll have $800 before you know it.

Patrick Sweeney reviewed the Rock Island 1911 in The Gun Digest Book of the 1911, Volume 2 (page 240). He gives it a pretty good review. Sweeney found it to be reliable and only in need of trigger work. Accuracy from a rest resulted in four to five inch groups.

Last edited by tomrkba; October 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old October 2, 2012, 01:48 PM   #9
jmr40

Buy used. For less than the $800 suggested for budget 1911 I have bought Colts and S&W 1911's. I didn't even have to pay to break them in.
Old October 2, 2012, 01:55 PM   #10
JWT

The Ruger SR1911 is in your price range and is a well built, accurate, reliable gun.

As jmr40 suggested, ther are many very good used 1911s available. My first 1911 was a good clean stainless Series 80 Colt for well under $800.
Old October 2, 2012, 03:29 PM   #11
tomrkba

I picked up a used Colt XSE 5" for around $650 awhile back. It was a great shooter.
Old October 2, 2012, 04:04 PM   #12
DaleA

Indecision is your friend.

Start saving your money in a gun fund like everyone else has told you and then do an EXTENSIVE evaluation of all the 1911s out there and which one you would like the best. By the time you've checked 'em all out and decided (and changed your mind and decided again) you'll probably have enough money to buy it.

Layaway might not be a bad idea but to me it locks you in to ONE gun when you might change your mind or a 'real deal' might come along. I'd prefer saving to the 'gun fund' and then you can spend it however you want.

My personal recommendation for a 1911 where concealed carry is not the main concern is the Springfield Range Officer.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=27
Old October 2, 2012, 04:05 PM   #13
checkmyswag

I want a 1911 too and a 357 and a dozen other guns. Just totally don't need them and I'm OK with that.

If you go for a 1911 from what I've seen there are lots of different makers and models. I'd stick with a standard one. By standard I don't mean plain but mean whatever the 1911 club recommends. Not individuals recommending their pet gun that is totally reliable so long as you hold your mouth right but one that is nearly universally recommended as a solid entry piece. Since I've started buying the standard weapons in whatever category I'm buying...my life has got easier. Who am I to assume I know more than all the gun folks who have years of experience.

Looks like you've already got some good advice in this thread. Enjoy! Or deprive yourself of buying it for awhile. Then you'll enjoy it even more and make a better informed choice...or change your mind.

Go with the standard or classic.

Reinventing the wheel is costly and usually ineffective.

Classics!
Old October 2, 2012, 05:09 PM   #14
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I am eyeing the Remington R1 Enhanced, Springfield R/O or Loaded, Ruger SR etc etc.
Any of these are going to be well made mid-grade 1911s. Since you haven't provided what your specific dollar amount is, your intentions of use, and how important certain features are possible, this is the order I have them in:

1. Springfield R/O
2. " Loaded
3. Remington R1 Enhanced
4. Ruger SR

I own 3 of the 4 mentioned. I don't have an R/O, yet. Reason why I put it at the top is you get top notch fitment that's above and beyond the loaded model with target sights. Believe me, it was tough to do that because my Loaded is a very well made and very reliable from day one. Although not the Enhanced, I have an R1 and the overall fit/finish beats out my Ruger. The Ruger has more features and is stainless, but the higher price tag and the R1's insanely smooth action bests it in my opinion. Also, I'm disappointed in Ruger's trigger. Doesn't seem to have very good fit/finish and the break is...OK.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old October 2, 2012, 08:44 PM   #15
highpower3006

Don't be mislead by the Rock Islands low price, they are a very good pistol, not just a "good gun for the money". I now have two, a government model and a compact.

Originally when I bought the Government Model, I compared it to my Colt. Quite honestly If you close your eyes while handling them it is nearly impossible to tell the difference.

Both the full size and compact have never failed to feed or function, regardless of the ammo I've fed them. I don't think you can ask any more than that from an auto no matter whose name is on the slide. Add to that, the fact that I have less than a grand in both guns together, and you can easily see why they are rapidly acquiring a solid reputation for being a good value.

Plus, if you don't sink a ton of money into the gun, you will have more $ for ammo.
Old October 2, 2012, 08:51 PM   #16
orionengnr

Quote:
I believe I know what you meant, regardless..

Rock Island Armory makes a very good INEXPENSIVE 1911.
Well...the one I owned was cheap, and crap. YMMV, and I hope it does.
I won't be travelling that road again.
Old October 3, 2012, 07:07 AM   #17
loose_holster_dan

props on paying down your debts and being a responsible American.

the 1911 can wait. you have plenty of ways to defend yourself. the 1911 is a luxury. the longer you save for it, the more exciting it will be when you buy one.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old October 3, 2012, 07:24 AM   #18
Yung.gunr

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I've wanted a 1911 for a long time now, but it is not as practical as the guns I have bought more recently. Now the Wife and I are done buying any guns or gun related stuff (minus ammo) for probably a couple years. Our oldest son needs braces real bad

When I do get a 1911 I am probably going to break from the norm and get it in 9mm. I don't have anything in 45acp and I don't think I really want to add another caliber. Plus, the Wife is pretty much totally against adding any other calibers to our collection.

Good luck saving and have fun researching. Sometimes for me, researching is pretty fun.
Old October 3, 2012, 08:03 AM   #19
p loader

Good luck with your savings plan, and getting your 1911. I tend to take a different approach when buying some of my guns (other than FTF transactions which involve cash). I've purchased a few on Budsgunshop on their 12 month same as cash program, I get the gun I want and have a year to pay it off. The consequences for not paying it off are pretty steep so you have to be disciplined to use this program.

I've bought a handful of guns in this manner (priced from $700 to $1600) and usually pay them off in 3-4 months with "disposable" income from my paychecks. Just don't feel like dipping into savings to purchase them outright.

Good luck.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:24 AM   #20
loose_holster_dan

the sti spartan v is a nice choice for a 9mm or 45acp 1911. got mine (9mm) for $600. great shooter.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old October 3, 2012, 10:52 AM   #21
Nathan

I think my RIA GI made a great budget 1911. It works when I pull the trigger. Some may laugh RIA off, but I think they are pretty good guns. Trigger pull is 6lbs, but pretty crisp. It shoots POA and groups average.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:59 AM   #22
Iron Man

I have a really nice Taurus PT1911 (I have two) and it's a really good gun at a great price.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; October 5, 2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Thread crapping
Old October 5, 2012, 01:20 PM   #23
dewey

RIA Makes a lot of STI's parts and

then ships them here for assembly. I know they make there frames and slides on most of their models and the internals for some.

I recently bought a 9mm and it's fit and finish is very good...

...and He will come again . . . SOON !
Old October 5, 2012, 03:53 PM   #24
Chadk

RIA

I had always said a gun collection just isnt a gun collection without a 1911. I wanted one BAD!!! well, I just picked up my first one with a RIA Compact 1911. I did what I would call a TON of research on it and think it's probably the most economical 1911 out there. I passed on it at the first gun show, just because I hate spending money, but I wasnt going to let it go at the next one.

It also is extremely reliable. More so in many cases than more expensive models. it may not be the prettiest girl at the prom, but man she works and shoots great.

My Girlfriend shot it for the first time (after shooting her Sig P238) the other night. Had never shot a .45 before. Is less than 5' tall and weigh's 112lbs.

She completely took the #2 off the number two target. That was only her second trip to the range and to shoot. Ever! She said it was her favorite gun she shot of the night over my Glock and her Sig P238. No failures out of any of the three guns that night.

I love my RIA .45
Old October 5, 2012, 11:26 PM   #25
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Maybe I should just wait for Santa! Lol!
Guns make the finest Christmas presents. Just ask me.