The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 21, 2011, 12:45 PM   #1
richfr

Ruger Old Army pitting

I have a Ruger Old Army that has a fair amount of pitting on the frame and barrel (outside only) it was like this when I got it. I got them as a pair as the other one was perfect.
I thought it was made of stainless steel due to the colour and shine but have been informed it may just be a steel one that has been polished as stainless doesn’t corrode in this way.
The serial number is 145-267** which as far as I can tell means it’s a stainless one
Can anybody confirm stainless can have damage like this?
Old October 21, 2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Hardcase

Absolutely. Pitting is the way that stainless steel "rusts". My materials science buddy in the next office says that it happens when the passivation is compromised in a small area, causing it to become an anode, while the rest of the metal is a cathode. Then you get galvanic corrosion right around that spot, causing a pit.

He went on and on about ionic migration, half-reactions and electromigration, but I stopped him pretty quick.

He also mentioned that that's why steel that's been blued or parkerized tends to get pits. The bluing or parkerization is a passivation layer and when it gets compromised, that particular spot corrodes just like your revolver did.
Old October 22, 2011, 09:01 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Stainless corrodes when abused, and black powder well just accelerate it. The benefit of stainless is this damage can often be cleaned up. Depending on how deep the pitting is you may be able to sand and polish this revolver to a near new looking condition.

My stainless ROA came cheap because of it's surface imperfections. Careful sanding of the pitted areas and then buffed on a 10" buffing wheel made a big difference in appearance.

Old October 22, 2011, 09:33 AM   #4
arcticap

The stainless that the Ruger Old Army is made of doesn't seem to be very rust resistant.
Perhaps Ruger uses it more for its strength.
Old October 23, 2011, 06:19 AM   #5
richfr

Thanks for the info
I think the pitting is a little deep in places to get out which is a shame.
Old October 23, 2011, 08:27 PM   #6
robhof

robhof

I've got some pitting in the barrel a SS ROA that I recently picked up. The outside was fairly good, but it appears that a previous owner had a squib and waited a time before removing it. There's a ring of pitting about 1" in from the end of the bore, the good news is that it still shoots as well as my NIB original that I got years ago.
Old November 10, 2011, 02:15 PM   #7
richfr

Well thanks madcratebuilder I decided to give it a go and ordered a bench grinder polishing kit. It is going to take some time to get it how I want it but I got most of the pitting out with a little sanding. Just need to wet and dry it then get to work polising
Here are some before pics

There are marks in difficult to get at places and a little on the warning on the top but I think I can get it back to a fair standard with more elbow grease.
I will put some pics up when I am done.
I think I will get a new front sight and a SS bolt kit for it too.
Anybody know of a good retailer that stocks these parts that might ship to France?

Thanks
Old November 10, 2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Was this revolver possibly shot with a substitute powder instead of real black powder? Some of those products contain chlorates and are more corrosive than black powder.
Old November 10, 2011, 02:36 PM   #9
richfr

I have no idea what happened to it but the cylinder and barrel inside are good so it’s not that it was left dirty.
I got a pair of them from a guy that was giving up shooting he said he bought them like that.
The other one is almost perfect and will be 100% after a quick buff up. I plan on keeping the better one and selling this on to fund some casting equipment.
Old November 10, 2011, 04:09 PM   #10
DeeDubya

My guess is it was left for some time in a leather holster. They might have cleaned it and then put it back in the holster.

I have a Ruger Old Army that I bought new when they were first available. It still looks new. When I'm finished shooting (usually Pyrodex) I remove the grips and drop the whole gun in a pan of warm soapy water and let is soak for at least an hour, scrub it clean, blow it off with an air hose, set the oven on 150 and bake it for 20 minutes or so. You wouldn't want to set the oven temp any higher as that could weaken some parts but it will drive any moisture out of the action. Lube it while it's still warm.

NRA Life Member
Old November 11, 2011, 02:22 PM   #11
richfr

Here are some pics after some hard work sanding and polishing. Am very happy with the results it’s not perfect but a huge improvement and you now have to look very close to see any marks.

Old November 11, 2011, 07:51 PM   #12
mykeal

Well done. Thank you for your concern for your gun.