The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 19, 2008, 07:14 PM   #1
devrie10

Gunsmithing Education

I was wondering what was the best way to learn about gunsmithing.
I am not necessarily looking to do this as a profession, but it would be nice to know and maybe earn me a bit of money on the side.
My question is: I have seen courses by mail or over the internet. Are these legit? I know there is no replacement for hands-on experience, but will these courses give me enough knowledge to get started? I lack the time to seek out a gunsmith to train me as an apprentice. Is it worth my time to look into it?
Old November 19, 2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Scorch

Best way: go sign up at a trade school that teaches gunsmithing. 2 years later you will have an associate degree in gunsmithing. Yes, you can learn from tapes and videos, but you will learn better from someone who knows how.
Old November 19, 2008, 09:28 PM   #3
ActivShootr

Quote:
will these courses give me enough knowledge to get started?
The courses will probably give you enough knowledge, but theory cannot replace hands-on experience.
Old November 19, 2008, 11:05 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

And if you needed open heart surgery, would you want a surgeon who learned from a video course?

Just kidding, I think. Those video courses are not bad but there is no substitute for hands on. If you are thinking of going into business, there is a whole lot more to consider than just doing the work. There have been a number of posts on this site with advice to folks who want to be gunsmiths, and I suggest a search.

Jim
Old November 19, 2008, 11:13 PM   #5
devrie10

thanks for the advice. i searched but it came up with over 1000 posts so i figured it would be quicker and easier to start my own. thanks alot though. i'll look into local schools but i'm already busy with college so it might have to wait a couple years or so.
Old November 19, 2008, 11:18 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Does your college or a nearby community college offer a course in machine work? Many do, and a knowledge of the basics of lathes, millers, etc. is a big start toward gunsmithing work.

Jim