The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 28, 2008, 06:32 PM   #1
mike6975

45lc inlaid grip,grooved grip

anyone else like these or have something similar they've done to there grips?

mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45LC-INLAYGRIP.jpg (64.5 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg saa021r-xl.jpg (22.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 0a158810.jpg (33.4 KB, 99 views)
Old September 28, 2008, 06:40 PM   #2
Hawg

I like inlays. I don't like finger grips. The scales are alright just not really my cup of tea.
Old September 28, 2008, 06:53 PM   #3
mike6975

hey hawg if i made my own 45 inlays do you think fillin up the shell with an epoxy or somethin would strenghten it or would it be a waste of time?
Old September 28, 2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Hawg

I don't think you'll have any shell to fill up. A case head is pretty thick unless you're planning on using an old balloon head case. As for gluing in place, an inlay ought to fit tight enough it doesn't need gluing.
Old September 29, 2008, 01:50 AM   #5
Smokin_Gun

Nope but I like these...
http://i36.tinypic.com/2s10pio.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/ir0w3n.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/raw45j.jpg

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old September 29, 2008, 07:25 AM   #6
mike6975

Hey smokin gun

i like those too especially the first one,and oh yeah!,"THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN"

mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CT003lsm.jpg (37.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg rug009-thn.jpg (7.3 KB, 41 views)
Old September 29, 2008, 08:05 AM   #7
Hawg

Kinda off topic but I had this painted on the bow of a boat once. It was three feet tall and had FERGIT HELL painted over it in big red letters.
Old September 29, 2008, 09:03 AM   #8
mike6975

you are the MAN!! Hawg the MAN!!
Old September 29, 2008, 10:13 AM   #9
Hawg

I useta be. Not anymore.
Old September 29, 2008, 02:28 PM   #10
mike6975

as long as you think you can feel it bro!
Old September 29, 2008, 11:09 PM   #11
FL-Flinter

Mike,

The inlay is no big deal, cartridge heads are fairly simple, it's when you get into complex inlay shapes, you have to match the radius of the wood that's when it becomes interesting.

Looking at the inlay pic, the first thing I noticed was the inconsistency of the grip to frame joint. Look near the inlay where the wood meets the frame and you'll notice that the wood is quite proud of the iron yet as you look closer to the bottom, you'll see that the iron is proud of the wood. I don't like the metal to ever be proud of the wood because it looks wrong and it can lead to the metal biting your hand on firing. The wood should be either just slightly proud of the metal or perfectly flush with the metal.

Last edited by FL-Flinter; September 30, 2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old September 30, 2008, 08:34 AM   #12
mike6975

i totally see that now that i payed attention to it,thanks for the insight.

mike
Old September 30, 2008, 10:31 PM   #13
FL-Flinter

Mike,

When you do this stuff for a living, you tend to pay attention to those little things. Personally, if I'm refinishing the entire gun, I'll make the grips a little over-size then take them right down flush with the metal while they're on the gun so everything matches as closely as possible. If just replacing the wood, I'll leave it just slightly proud of the metal, about 0.006" to 0.010" at the most.

Another thing, if you're doing any kind of inlay, the inlay itself should be finished flush or just slightly under the surface of the wood so it doesn't take a beating during normal use & carry. If you want the inlay to stand-out, the area where the inlay is can be left higher then taper the wood rapidly to the "normal" height - this lets the inlay stand above the "nominal" surface elevation but still have its face remain flush with the wood so it's not standing out all by itself taking a beating all the time.

Mark
Old October 1, 2008, 10:05 AM   #14
mike6975

thanks for the insight flinter,so you can go either or with it depending on what you or the person wants.me i like the flush look,and i'll use your input on the next set of grips i get.i'm ordering a set from dgw(dixie gun works),i should be able to do this with them i think?.

mike
Old October 1, 2008, 11:29 AM   #15
FL-Flinter

Mike,

It all depends on how the grips are made - one of the reasons I don't care to order 'unknown' after-market grips is unless you know exactly who's making/selling them and how, it's usually a crap-shoot as to what you're getting. Some guns like Ruger's hold extremely tight tolerances on their machine and finishing work so it's much easier for a company to produce after-market grips that will usually be within acceptable OEM spec's. On others guns, tolerances are quite varied and while one may measure 2.125" at the base of the frame, the next one off the line may measure 2.200" - of course, the greater the OEM tolerances, the more difficult it becomes for an after-market supplier to keep their products within acceptable tolerance through no fault of their own. I do prefer having the after-market supplier product be oversized, doesn't matter if it's pistol grips or a long stock, it's easy to take wood off but there's nothing you can do if it comes in too small. I have found that some after-market suppliers will take the time to check sizes before shipping the product if you supply them with the exact measurements of what you need - others just send you whatever they have or whatever the lowest bidder provided.

Most of my grips are made from scratch so I can hand-select the wood to fit the application. If it's getting inlays and carving/checkering, obviously a straight tight grain is best and if they're going to slick-sides you want wood with nice figure and color to it.

The folks at Dixie are great people to deal with, they've been in business for a long time and the reason why speaks for itself.