The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 23, 2008, 10:48 PM   #26
Cowart

Quote:
The structure itself is pure white oak & antique chestnut - 14'x20'
In a house that small, you probably won't have room for a floor gun safe. Since it is new construction, you can build in a shallow false wall in one of the closets, and store your guns/ammo/valuables between the wall studs. A good way to conceal the opening is with a piece of paneling. Glue magnets to the panel, and countersink corresponding locations in the studs. Glue a washer in each location for the magnet to stick to.
Quote:
have a huge walk in closet or an additional room built off the master that is re-bar reinforced grouted block with its own phone and electrical service. ideally i would like both. they would serve the dual purpose of a safe room a safe and disaster shelter.
If you reinforce a bathroom instead of a closet you automagically also get a water supply and sanitation facility for an extended stay.
Old June 23, 2008, 11:12 PM   #27
stephen426

I'd really think about it before you commit to building the house (if you can call it that). You mentioned 14' x 20' which equals 280 sqft. if my math is right . My bedroom is more than twice that with the master bath included. Do you plan on having a seperated bathroom and kitchen? What kind of floor plan do you want? Even my 1 bedroom apartment in college was about 750 sqft. Do you plan on having running water and electricity? Are there even connections for water, sewar, and electricity? It sure sounds like a hell of a lot more trouble than it is worth in my opinion.

If you are really on a budget, get a trailer. You could always reinforce the locks on the doors. You could probably even change out your glass windows for lexan. Overall security wouldn't be great since the metal walls are pretty thin, but how many break-ins actually involve the bad guys going through a wall?
Old June 24, 2008, 01:41 PM   #28
Spade Cooley

Like the man said, never build something on someone elses property because you will never be the owner. I can picture the two of you on Judge Judy one day fighting it out trying to convince the judge you had some kind of a verbal contract. You better make out a contract and put it all in writing.

Like the other man said, if you must place your abode on the friends property, put in something portable like a trailer that you could move once you have a falling out.
Old June 26, 2008, 07:03 PM   #29
Bob Lee Swagger

In my experience, am M2HB is a solid criminal deterrent.
Old July 2, 2008, 10:34 PM   #30
langenc

I did not read most posts.

With a "fairly extensive collection" why not build a safe/vault room. Would not have to be very big but could be SECURE.
Old July 2, 2008, 11:49 PM   #31
OJ

Jeff Cooper spelled it out in "TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH" on page 47 "NOTES ON TACTICAL RESIDENTIAL ARCHITECTURE".

Hard to beat the wisdom he laid out there if you're really serious about it.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER