The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2006, 01:37 PM   #1
rpeterj

Need help with ID and Value

I am relatively new to shotguns and recently inherited what I believe is a Bayard Acier side-by-side in 28 gauge. It has external hammers with engraving and intact bluing on the barrels as well as a straight stock. I looked online and cannot find a picture of one or even a value for it in my gun guides. Was it made by Bayard? What would its value be? I would appreciate any help.
Old July 26, 2006, 09:37 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Acier is the French word for Steel. Often found on old French and Belgian shotguns.

If the marks on the flat part of the receiver include the words St Etienne, it's French.

Probably neither trash nor treasure. Do have a good smith look it over before firing. Besides the possibility of having twist or Damascus barrels unsuited for modern ammo, the chambers may be too short for our 2 3/4" shells.

With the engraving and hammers, sounds like a pretty thing. How about some Pics?
Old July 27, 2006, 08:24 AM   #3
johnbt

I don't want to get your hopes up because I don't know if Bayard made all good guns or some good guns or 'just made some guns', but here's one for sale for $1295.

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976720372.htm

While searching around I a found mention of a 16 ga.:

http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/exhibit...HSTR29740.html

"Bayard Arms Company
Double barrel, 16 gauge shotgun. Belonged to Martha Truman while at Grandview.
Steel, walnut. H 20.5, W 5.3, L 117.0 cm
Harry S Truman National Historic Site, HSTR 29740"