The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 2, 2002, 10:29 AM   #1
ankara36

Mossberg 500A Problems

I picked up a Mossberg 500A the other day for not too much money. It appears to be in excellent condition except:

There is scuffing on the magazine tube almost through the bluing in a couple of spots before the receiver. I suspect someone before me was playing with the pump without any kind of lubricant on it (uuggghhh!).

Also, the foregrip on the pump seems to get stuck sometimes on the front of the receiver when pulled back. The foregrip is a wooden, knurled type that doesn't look like one on any current models.

The 'second safety' (I'll call it, up next to the trigger guard) is sticking and sometimes doesn't release, allowing the pump slide to be actuated.

The whole thing seems to be a bit gummy from storage without proper lubrication. If there a good source for maintenance and troubleshooting Mossbergs?

Thanks.
Old July 2, 2002, 04:10 PM   #2
Andrew Wyatt

unless your mossberg is a parts gun with a maverick triggerguard, the "second safety" could possibly be the bolt release lever.

mossberg would be the best bet for any questions you might have.

Could you provide pictures of the situation?
Old July 2, 2002, 05:44 PM   #3
Popsicle

Sounds to me like it needs to be stripped and cleaned. That will most likely solve the sticky bolt release. As for the scuff marks on the magazine tube, that's normal for pumps. All of mine show wear at that point to some degree. The forend could have possibly came loose, which can cause it to hang on the front of the receiver. All you have to do is tighten the nut on the front of the forend after making sure that you have straightened out the twist in the forend. Don't overdo it, however, or you will twist the action bars and need a replacement set. All in all, it just sounds like it needs some maintenance to get her running. Another caution... don't over oil the gun, it is probably what caused it to become gummed up in the first place. Mossberg, according to their manual, states only a very light film of oil should be applied to the metal parts of the gun. It doesn't take much, even on the magazine tube. I generally wipe the oil on, then wipe excess off. Even if you don't think there's enough, you will see that when you take the gun shooting and it gets hot, oil will start seeping from all the nooks and crannies.

Pat Brophy