The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 30, 2018, 05:51 PM   #1
UserOfMosins

Type 24 Mauser repairation

Hey guys

I bought a Chiang Kai-Shek rifle yesterday and it was in overall condition. The wood was okay, the metal had minor pitting along the woodline and the metal just needed some Hopps/steel wool treatment to clean up.

Upon disassembling the bolt after fiddling with it for a little bit (its based upon the Standard Modell bolt that I couldnt find a diagram for)
I found that the firing pin was broken, or at least appeared to be,l. The "break" looks too clean to be an actual break. I know some of these rifles were made in villages and certain liberties were taken. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the bolt needs to be replaced (and if its interchangeable with other mauser parts), if its repairable, or if I'm just an idiot! Thanks!

Last edited by UserOfMosins; June 2, 2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old May 31, 2018, 08:41 AM   #2
Tidewater_Kid

I am not familiar with these rifles, but that looks like a creative way to fix a broken firing pin. Numrich lists complete bolts, but no firing pins in stock.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...hiang-kai-shek
Old May 31, 2018, 09:03 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Looks broke to me. Have it soldered back together but if you want a shooter, buy a new striker. BTW, that doesn't look like any Mauser 98 striker I have ever seen.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:14 AM   #4
UserOfMosins

The striker is what threw me off. It disassembles different from any 98 or 98k that i've seen. Thats why im hoping to go the repair route
Old June 1, 2018, 12:58 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Low temp, hi force solder. But I'd still get a new one for use.
Old June 1, 2018, 01:25 AM   #6
tangolima

Retipping firing pin is a routine method to repair old guns with hard-to-find parts. I did more than a few myself.

Low temp solder suffices. It is mainly to keep the tip in place and to deliver force to retract the tip from the bolt face when the action is worked.

I love to have a Chiang Kai Shek Mauser. Unfortunately the ones I have looked at all have their barrels shot out long ago. I bought a hanyang 88 and thought it had a decent bore. 8mm bullet dropped right through.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old June 1, 2018, 05:14 AM   #7
J.G. Terry

The firing pin assembly is unusual. There are some differences in the bolt. Would it be possible to give other pictures and disassembly. Many years ago we had some of these rifle from China. There was a mixture of FN's, German made rifles and those made in China. Those Chinese rifles were basically faithful copies of the Standard Modell. These guns were in NRA wrecked condition.
Old June 1, 2018, 03:43 PM   #8
J.G. Terry

Manchurian or Muken Mauser

Manchurian or Muken Mauser: The rifles had features of the 98 Mauser and the Japanese rifles. If you have one, check out the asking price of these rifles. Be sitting down when when you get some numbers. Suggestion: Other than a gentle cleaning leave the rifle be.

Last edited by J.G. Terry; June 1, 2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old June 2, 2018, 09:43 AM   #9
UserOfMosins

Hey thanks man!! Thats what the rifle was listed for in the store but i think its just a type 24! If you want to take a look i just uploaded the pics!!
Old June 2, 2018, 09:51 AM   #10
J.G. Terry

Let us Know

This history of this rare rifle is given on the net. What gave a clue here was the firing pin and bolt body. If you could post a picture of the rifle and top of the receiver would be helpful. Got "my fingers crossed" for you. Let us know the outcome of your search.
Old June 2, 2018, 10:44 AM   #11
UserOfMosins

They should have uploaded by now! I think i've determined that its a 41st arsenal type 24, but i would love to have it checked by a pro!
Old June 2, 2018, 11:11 AM   #12
J.G. Terry

Check it out.

I would be good to have the rifle checked by knowledgeable collector or source. It may be hidden but the bolt sleeve does not appear to have a lock. There are many changes in the bolt alone. Point being there are many differences shown that suggest that it would be wise to do further research.
Old June 2, 2018, 11:55 AM   #13
UserOfMosins

Will do! Much appreciated Mr. Terry! Will update you if i find anything new.