The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 15, 2017, 07:46 AM   #1
Mobuck

lead in the can

I finally did it. Got enough residue to start affecting accuracy and POI. My Form 1 baffles are pretty close to bullet diameter and likely not in perfect alignment so this scenario is inevitable. The host/can package lives in a location that is subject to humidity and heat and it appears that the residue sort of "grew" during storage since it was shooting fine at last use.
Anyhoo, I pulled the rifle out for a few shots and found POI seemed "off". Put it on the sandbags and the POI was WAY off and accuracy was not up to normal. Unscrewed the can and yupper, the crud was encroaching on the bullet's path. Not hard baffle strikes but enough see under good illumination.
Old October 15, 2017, 08:02 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Unscrewed the can and yupper
It's good that you have an unscrewable yupper. I need a torx wrench to take apart my yupper...

Did you build your suppressor so it can be dissembled? If not, a soda blaster with a long nozzle may be the ticket to cleaning out the insides. Or an ultrasonic cleaner if you have one of those.
Old October 15, 2017, 01:10 PM   #3
Mobuck

Both the can and my "yupper" are fully "unscrewable"(vs some "other" things I've encountered in life). The common remedy for "lead in the can" is a 1/4" extra long drill bit.
Old October 15, 2017, 01:24 PM   #4
Sharkbite

That would clear the bullet path but not do anything for the lead buildup on the baffle surfaces.

Take her apart and soda blast everything clean. Thats the benefit of a take-apart design.