The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 11, 2015, 11:57 PM   #1
Ignition Override

Local comm. Russ. Mak vs. online Mak.

For an alternative concealed carry gun, would most people prefer a worn Bulgy (i.e. now at Aimsurplus) vs. a comm. Russian which is in excellent shape-very little visible wear?

In other words, isn't it more practical to carry a gun which has already lost cosmetic appeal versus the same type which can only lose some value with frequent carry?
My only operational concern is that online orders prevent access to the triggers' feel.
Old April 12, 2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Cosmetic appeal has nothing to do with it.
Don't the Russian commercials have adjustable sights which add corners to be concealed? If so, I'd get the Bulgarian.
Yes, you are gambling on trigger feel. But you would be on anything www ordered.
Old April 12, 2015, 08:52 AM   #3
Pilot

I have four Makarovs. An EG, Russian Commercial, and two Bulgarians. I carry one of my Bulgarians. Get one from Aim Surplus. They have them now. If not get a Polish P-83 from Wideners. No, it is NOT a Makarov, but a nice pistol in 9x18 caliber. I have two, and I carry one as my EDC.
Old April 12, 2015, 11:11 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Curios & Relics

As carry gun options? How good to see that some people still do this.

I don't know Makarovs well, but in general I will say this about the finish.

Since finish wear has no effect on the gun's function, and since carrying the gun is what puts the wear in the finish in the first place, if you have something that you are concerned with the future value of, based on its finish, carrying it is probably not a good idea. Carrying the same gun with an already lesser value due to a worn finish makes sense.

Also consider that if you ever do need to use the gun, it will be taken as evidence, and they will keep it until ALL the legal issues are resolved. And the police (in general) are not noted for taking good care of guns that are evidence, particularly in regard to preserving their finish.

(gee, we're sorry your pistol is rusted shut, but a pipe broke in the evidence room 3 months ago, and we only found out this one got wet today when we went to get it for you... an extreme example, of course, but not completely unheard of)