The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 19, 2014, 06:59 PM   #1
Rangerrich99

Convince me that I need to carry a back up

Here's the deal: for about 8 months a year I carry a Ruger LCP as my primary CCW. The other 4 months, during what passes for winter here in Phoenix, I wear more/heavier clothing, and can carry a commander-size 1911. Either way, I never carry a back-up; it just never occurred to me.

Bear in mind that I'm not a big guy; 5 ft. 7 in., and 165 lbs., and as I said earlier, I live in Phoenix, AZ, where wearing more clothing in the summer months is just not a realistic option.

But after reading several articles, and watching an episode or two of "Best Defense," I began to wonder: do I need to seriously think about carrying a back-up along with my primary?

So I put it to those of you that are more experienced than I: Should I and why?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old May 19, 2014, 07:09 PM   #2
JD0x0

Because anything could happen. And there's small enough guns, suitable as 'backups' that don't require a lot of space at all. You could probably get a pocket gun like this.

Remember this is for 'just in case,' and 5 rounds of .22WMR should be more than suitable, if something were to happen to your main carry gun.
Old May 19, 2014, 07:47 PM   #3
Targa

Why not if you want to? Other than in a law enforcement or combat environment, I really don't see the need to back up my conceal carry but to each there own. I do like those mini NAA's with the holster grips.
Old May 19, 2014, 09:29 PM   #4
Deaf Smith

Quote:
do I need to seriously think about carrying a back-up along with my primary?
Not really. Unless you are in a job or position that has lots of risk, I doubt it.

The most important thing to CCW and self-protection in general, is to keep your eyes and ears peeled.

Stay alert and aware of the situations around you, don't be one to do the three stupids, be trained to spot indicators of impending trouble, know how to handle unknown contacts, and become skilled with both gun and your hands/feet.

The backup gun is way way low on the list of things you need.

Deaf
Old May 19, 2014, 09:53 PM   #5
jeager106

Short answer.
No.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:36 PM   #6
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerrich99
Here's the deal: for about 8 months a year I carry a Ruger LCP as my primary CCW. The other 4 months, during what passes for winter here in Phoenix, I wear more/heavier clothing, and can carry a commander-size 1911. Either way, I never carry a back-up; it just never occurred to me.

Bear in mind that I'm not a big guy; 5 ft. 7 in., and 165 lbs., and as I said earlier, I live in Phoenix, AZ, where wearing more clothing in the summer months is just not a realistic option.

But after reading several articles, and watching an episode or two of "Best Defense," I began to wonder: do I need to seriously think about carrying a back-up along with my primary?

So I put it to those of you that are more experienced than I: Should I and why?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
People carry back up guns for several reasons:
1) As a supplement to their primary weapon (i.e. your primary carry is out of ammunition and reloads/ insufficient for your needs)
2) As a reload aka a "New York reload(It's easier to pull a second LCP from your pocket than to pull a magazine out, seat it, and resume; an option especially popular with revolvers).
3) As a replacement for their primary weapon (in the even of failure).
4) To arm someone else (usually a trusted family member/friend who may not be carrying).

I am a proponant of carrying a BUG, but I normally don't. I think they have their place, and that is typically when I am going to be away from home for a significant period of time, or if I am in an area I am not familiar with. When travelling, I almost always have at least 2 firearms with me, with my "back up" typically being a full size weapon cased in my trunk, while my "primary" may be a J frame or a small 9x18 pistol.

In the end, carrying a BUG is up to you, and while some people like to have the extra firepower, most will never need it. That said, most will never need any of the firepower we as gun owners lug around, but we carry not because of what will probably happen, but what is capable of happening.
Old May 20, 2014, 03:20 AM   #7
dayman

I see carrying a backup as similar to wearing a 5 point seatbelt.
Or having a back up fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
While it does technically eliminate some extra risk (and might be a good idea for people who have above average risk factors), it's a bit more than the vast majority of people need.

I'm not going to judge people that feel the need to do any of those things, but it's not for me.
Old May 20, 2014, 03:36 AM   #8
Rangerrich99

Hey guys;

Thanks again for all the replies. I feel better now knowing that most of you feel as I do, that generally speaking a back-up gun is optional. Now I can focus my spending on some other piece I probably don't really need, or maybe another uber expensive fly rod.

Peace.
Old May 20, 2014, 06:07 AM   #9
foxytwo

Are you going to have a back up fly rod?
Old May 20, 2014, 11:47 AM   #10
geetarman

I live in the Phoenix area and I almost never carry. I never carry a backup. I do know an LEO friend of mine who carries 3 guns on duty and 2 off duty.

That is just not me. YMMV

Carpe Cerveza
Old May 20, 2014, 11:49 AM   #11
skoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerrich99
What for? You on some crime organization's hit list? You carry large amounts of cash in less than ideal surroundings?
Old May 20, 2014, 11:55 AM   #12
swman

If you're a cop you need 3; one is primary, second is backup and because criminals know cops carry backups you need at least a third backup they aren't expecting you to have. If you're not a cop or armed security or carrying large amounts of cash with you, no. But, if you want to, sure.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:01 PM   #13
OuTcAsT

geetarman wrote;
Quote:
I do know an LEO friend of mine who carries 3 guns on duty and 2 off duty.
And, of course, that is fine for him as his vocation requires him to be prepared to be "in harm's way" More so than the average person. My career requires that I use certain tools as well and, I keep spare tools for "backups" but, I generally do not find the need in life outside of work, to carry an extra multimeter.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old May 20, 2014, 03:28 PM   #14
Sabrewolfe

The best rationale for a BUG that I've encountered so far was courtesy of the Rabbi over at TTAG. While I do think carrying three guns is a bit excessive, the reason he carries a third gun on his ankle makes a lot of sense to me. Basically, he carries it in case he is grappled or otherwise engaged in such a way that accessing his primary strong side carry gun becomes difficult or impossible. And he's right: it is a lot faster and easier to get to an ankle rig than a hip holster when you are on your back.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find an ankle holster that isn't a massive pile of suck to wear and conceal. My solution is an easy-to-retain knife: Cold Steel's Safe Maker I push dagger. It integrates seamlessly with pretty much any self defense fighting technique and I find it much easier to carry than a second gun.

As with most things, YMMV.

"Without logic, reason is useless. With it, you can win arguments and alienate multitudes." - Unknown
Old May 20, 2014, 04:36 PM   #15
markj

Carry what you wish, chances are about 1 in a million you will ever need one let alone 2 guns at any time. Now if you was a cop? yep best have as many as you can carry.

But do make sure no little ones can get to it and harm themselves as teh 4 year old did while visiting their grandparents.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:18 PM   #16
Sport45

Quote:
Yes, you do.

And then after you've thought about it make your decision whether you should or not.

I don't.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:10 PM   #17
Wyosmith

“2 is 1 and 1 is none” is a clever phrase invented by those that want to sell things.

It's really BS

As a former US Marine, a former DOD employee (Adviser) and a former Sheriff’s deputy with quite a few real-world missions in my past I can say I never carried more than one handgun and I never needed more then one.

Extra ammo and/or extra mags...yes.
An extra handgun?
No.

Any gun that I could not trust to be reliable is not a gun I would own, let along carry in a dangerous environment.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:47 PM   #18
Jim243

Quote:
Any gun that I could not trust to be reliable is not a gun I would own, let along carry in a dangerous environment.
I think that that is really the bottom line. Be proficient with your main carry gun and carry spare magazines.

Keep your eyes open and stay out of trouble.
Jim
Old May 20, 2014, 11:51 PM   #19
MarkDozier

Quote:
Are you going to have a back up fly rod?
You got that right. I need a backup rod or I would be unprepared.
Old May 21, 2014, 01:18 AM   #20
Rangerrich99

I have back up rods for my back ups, but that just how it is in fly fishing. I only take one rod down the stream with me, but there's always a couple back ups in the truck in case I break one, or whatever.
Old May 21, 2014, 01:35 AM   #21
JERRYS.

your primary should have a reload. a small semi auto worn on the waist such as a mini 9mm should be balanced out with at least one reload on the opposite side. should you feel the need for a BUG almost any small semi-auto in your pocket will cover that need.

even in hot and humid climates a Kahr PM9, S&W shield, Wlther PPS et cetera can be worn strong side IWB and covered with the lightest shirt.
Old May 21, 2014, 08:17 AM   #22
Corrections Cop

I don't carry one. I don't really feel the need for one.
Old May 23, 2014, 06:29 PM   #23
Stevie-Ray

I find it easier to carry a BUG than extra mags. But also, I consider my KT P32 my everything gun, meaning that if I go out of the house for any reason without my normal primary, the BUG is still there and therefore becomes primary by default. The primary may not be there for many reasons that I won't get into here.
Old May 23, 2014, 07:51 PM   #24
Yung.gunr

I live in the Burbs of Phoenix and work in Phoenix, Ive never felt the need to carry a BUG. I guess if you are rolling through downtown at odd hours of the night then maybe. But, you probably shouldn't be there anyway. Only time I carry BUG is roadtrips or camping.
Old May 24, 2014, 05:39 AM   #25
peggysue

I'm an old gun nut who has had a CCW for over 40 years. I carry all the time except at work, schools and in government buildings. I am 6'1" and 260 lbs. I carry an old worn Colt Cobra light weight in 38. I use a OBH and just let the -shirt hang over it on hot days. Never had problems. I am not concerned if it happens to peak out as I am licensed. I have 5 shots to defend myself. Keep in mind if I had to kill someone I would lose everything i own to legal fees. Thank god I have never had to make that decision. I avoid trouble areas and big crowds of trouble.I'm not a COP and don't need a back-up.